Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-24-2016, 12:37 AM   #3141
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Ok thanks, grandpa. Even if "the level of craftsmanship" has dropped as "dramatically" as you say, the products used to build houses today are far superior to a 70s house. The windows and insulation alone are light years ahead. But yeah, kids these days.
Hence your increased problems with mould, asthma and alergies, kid.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:39 AM   #3142
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, I just sold my rental property, bought it in 2006 for 376k and sold it for 369k.

It seems like a loss until I realize I have collected rent for all but 4 months over 10 years, but!! I wish I could find the profits in my pockets
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2016, 05:16 AM   #3143
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Hence your increased problems with mould, asthma and alergies, kid.
Yeah. At least asbestos and lead would just kill you. I also miss watching my brothers light their smokes off the aluminum wiring arcs coming out of out of our kitchen plug ins. If you want to get nostalgic about old houses you really have to go back to the days of 2x4's actually being two inches by four inches. The rest is just wive's tales. When done properly, there's literally no comparison to today's building code and materials.
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
4X4
Old 10-24-2016, 07:13 AM   #3144
SeeBass
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Yeah. At least asbestos and lead would just kill you. I also miss watching my brothers light their smokes off the aluminum wiring arcs coming out of out of our kitchen plug ins. If you want to get nostalgic about old houses you really have to go back to the days of 2x4's actually being two inches by four inches. The rest is just wive's tales. When done properly, there's literally no comparison to today's building code and materials.
Important part
Old 10-24-2016, 08:25 AM   #3145
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Well, I just sold my rental property, bought it in 2006 for 376k and sold it for 369k.

It seems like a loss until I realize I have collected rent for all but 4 months over 10 years, but!! I wish I could find the profits in my pockets
when you sold your property, did you sell it with renters still in it? I'm in that situation right now.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:34 AM   #3146
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBass View Post
Important part
Oh please. Houses are so overbuilt, people are so dramatic about "building quality".
Old 10-24-2016, 09:12 AM   #3147
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I've sold properties with renters in it. If the buyer is an investor then that's usually a good thing as vacancies make a buyer think it's harder to rent out.

If the buyer wants to live in it that can make it a little more difficult depending on the rental agreement. If it's a monthly periodic tenancy a landlord can't just tell them to leave, they have to give 3 month's notice and I would assume that would have to be after the closing date.

EDIT: 10 years of mortgage paydown shouldn't be insignificant.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:28 AM   #3148
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeBruce View Post
when you sold your property, did you sell it with renters still in it? I'm in that situation right now.

In this market it is even more challenging to sell with renters as most investors are still sitting on the sideline and people are looking for a property for themselves.

You can incentivize your tenants and work something out on having the property show very good to potential buyers as well as a mutual break of the lease should the right offer come along.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 10-24-2016, 10:08 AM   #3149
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Oh please. Houses are so overbuilt, people are so dramatic about "building quality".
I think people confuse building quality and finishing quality.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2016, 10:11 AM   #3150
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sold our place this weekend 48 hours after listing. Things will definitely move in this market if priced right and staged properly.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:14 AM   #3151
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBass View Post
Important part
I remember driving by a condo being put up a few years ago on Grandview Hwy where the sub trade putting on the exterior was tacking the Tyveck on to the chip board, it was clearly obvious that they were putting it on back to front, as you could read the 'this side in' all over the building.

Of course the whole thing had moisture problems within a few years.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:01 PM   #3152
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
I remember driving by a condo being put up a few years ago on Grandview Hwy where the sub trade putting on the exterior was tacking the Tyveck on to the chip board, it was clearly obvious that they were putting it on back to front, as you could read the 'this side in' all over the building.

Of course the whole thing had moisture problems within a few years.
Are you implying that there weren't bad builders 40 years ago that cheaped out on construction?

You can educated me, but I would assume there has always been bad and good builders. New rules and regulations in this day help narrow that gap.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kavvy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2016, 01:53 PM   #3153
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavvy View Post
Are you implying that there weren't bad builders 40 years ago that cheaped out on construction?

You can educated me, but I would assume there has always been bad and good builders. New rules and regulations in this day help narrow that gap.
i can't speak for Alberta but what has happened in BC is two fold, the goverment has really gutted the apprentice ship standards in order to please the industry that doesn't want to pay to train kids up, on top of that is the massive size of the building boom here means most construction is being done by wholly unqualified and often completely untrained workers.

I'm a foster parent, my foster kid, strung out on meth most of the time, with about three months on the job, ended up as a supervisor on a rebar crew just because they had to much work and no staff, companies will hire anyone out here.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:53 PM   #3154
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I've sold properties with renters in it. If the buyer is an investor then that's usually a good thing as vacancies make a buyer think it's harder to rent out.

If the buyer wants to live in it that can make it a little more difficult depending on the rental agreement. If it's a monthly periodic tenancy a landlord can't just tell them to leave, they have to give 3 month's notice and I would assume that would have to be after the closing date.

EDIT: 10 years of mortgage paydown shouldn't be insignificant.
It's being rented month to month, so I think it might be a little more favorable to people who are looking to move in a few months down the road.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:13 PM   #3155
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeBruce View Post
It's being rented month to month, so I think it might be a little more favorable to people who are looking to move in a few months down the road.
Yeah, and like Realtor 1 says you might be able to get an agreement from the tenants as well to make things even easier if you give them some incentive.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:41 PM   #3156
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I can't imagine any circumstance where I'd buy a house that hadn't been built let alone a condo, all buildings have problems and need maintenance from day one, in fact the level of craftsmanship has dropped so dramatically in the last twenty or thirty years you'll have less problems with a reasonably well maintained late seventies split level rancher than you will with brand new house.
Ya for sure. They didn't have the tools, technology, inspection standards they do now, but ya, 70's homes are top of the line. I especially like the old fuse panels, the one electrical outlet per room or the warping wood holding the house together. Maybe the lead paint for the walls or copper/corroding pipes feeding water to and throughout the house floats your boat or the asbestos insulation. I like the super safe grid roads and aerial utility lines all over the place the most. Really catches your eye when you're enjoying your backyard.

Not sure why they would tear down a top of the line 70's house, put in an infill and sell it for a million more.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:39 AM   #3157
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Ya for sure. They didn't have the tools, technology, inspection standards they do now, but ya, 70's homes are top of the line. I especially like the old fuse panels, the one electrical outlet per room or the warping wood holding the house together. Maybe the lead paint for the walls or copper/corroding pipes feeding water to and throughout the house floats your boat or the asbestos insulation. I like the super safe grid roads and aerial utility lines all over the place the most. Really catches your eye when you're enjoying your backyard.

Not sure why they would tear down a top of the line 70's house, put in an infill and sell it for a million more.
All that old stuff can be pretty easily updated and upgraded to modern standards while maintaining the superior integrity of the old builds. My house is from the 60s but was gutted around 10 years ago but it still has the original 2x6 framing and old school fir beams holding up the structure. Old homes provide better fire protection because they don't burn as fast.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:22 AM   #3158
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
All that old stuff can be pretty easily updated and upgraded to modern standards while maintaining the superior integrity of the old builds. My house is from the 60s but was gutted around 10 years ago but it still has the original 2x6 framing and old school fir beams holding up the structure. Old homes provide better fire protection because they don't burn as fast.
I wouldn't say easily...ripping it down to the beefy studs and rebuilding literally everything is pretty monumental.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:25 AM   #3159
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Exactly. My house was built in 74 and it has 3 outlets in each room. Insulation is fiberglass bats and blown in fiberglass chips in the attic. And thats all original.
My 42 year old windows do a better job that the windows in the house I recently sold, built in 99. That house needed a new roof too. Had new siding because the old one got blown away by wind. Some longevity....

Solid wood floor joists etc, no toxic OSB or any other particle board stuff until I started the renos. The new stuff is pretty, but all that glue and plastic they use can't be that good for our health.

Agree on the overhead utilities....it would be awesome to enjoy that infill yard without obstructions. All 25 feet of it

Love the new homes for the layout, but the build quality is just not there.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:43 AM   #3160
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

How I feel reading that the past somehow had better building materials and construction techniques than today.

The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:

Tags
housing , real estate