Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2018, 02:43 PM   #1
CanucksWorstNightmare
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Bargain Shopping - Evander Kane

I know his name has been discussed alot over the last few months but what is he actually worth going into the trade deadline?He started the year off scorching hot but only has 4pts in his last 20 games.Combine these stats along with his past issues and I think alot of GM's are going to be scared off in a BIG way. I say swoop in and pick him up,the playoff run will rejuvenate him and I think he could be the 1 piece this forward group is missing.

Don't be afraid Brad, yes he has did some stupid things in the past but he seems to have matured and is still only 26 years old. I feel like we have a very close knit group that will put him in his place if he were to get out of hand in the future.He put up 57 pts the one year in Winnipeg and since then hasn't hit 50. I would think playing for the Buffalo Sabres is a BIG reason for the lack of production along with the fact that he hasn't played a full 82 game season yet in his career. Everyone thinks he is going to sign for big money in the off season but Iam not sure that he has that strong of a case to do so.I think the Flames could sign him to a very reasonable contract extension , especially if he enjoys a deep playoff run with them.The fact that he is from Vancouver could also be a big factor in him wanting to resign with us.He has good size can skate like the wind and also plays with some grit.Guys like Gallagher Pacioretty or Hoffman are going to cost way too much.I really think Evander Kane is our guy and the price is right. Would Buffalo be happy with a package of Gillies/Kylington?I really dont think the Flames would have to pay much more then that and will be very surprised if another team is willing to trade a 1st round pick for him.I know most people will say nope don't want but for the right price I think it could be a move that really pays off in the long run.What does everyone think ??
CanucksWorstNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:44 PM   #2
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Not so sure he's matured a great deal as his last altercation with teammates was what, all of 2 weeks ago?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:45 PM   #3
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Prices are sky-high. Not a chance Buffalo takes an offer that doesn't include a first-rounder.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:46 PM   #4
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

No thanks he can be a guy that can come into that locker room and F everything up and could possibility jeopardize making the playoffs. He would do more harm than good.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:47 PM   #5
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Even with all the issues, I would be surprised if Kane is traded for anything less than a 1st + prospect.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2018, 02:52 PM   #6
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not worried about the locker room issues so much as the price that would be required to get him.

He's a UFA, if the Flames want him that badly save the assets and go after him in free agency.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:54 PM   #7
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Do not want !!! This team is already mentally fragile and this would be a huge distraction.
I don't want someone elses problem here and neither should the flames.
This guy and all of his alleged/proven behaviour/ past has no place not just on our ice but in this community.
If you don't think this is important you aren't paying enough attention to how players get picked to play here.

This would be a reclamation project from hell and id rather see someone else with any kind of salvageable potential chosen.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:03 PM   #8
CanucksWorstNightmare
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I think he is the most interesting trade option on the market.I am very surprised that alot of you think he will still go for a 1st.I feel like 1st round picks are alot more valuable then they used to be.I think teams will be a little more gun shy about giving them away after seeing failed experiments like Hanzal and Shattenkirk last year.I honestly think that's why there haven't been many deals yet cause most GM's are saying screw you to the high prices that are currently being asked.Teams will get desperate in the end and will part with guys for whatever they can get rather then loose them for nothing.
The Following User Says Thank You to CanucksWorstNightmare For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2018, 03:03 PM   #9
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Buffalo will get at least a 2nd. We don’t have only of those until 2021
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:08 PM   #10
CanucksWorstNightmare
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Would Buffalo not be more interested in guys like Gillies and Kylington then they would be in a 2nd rounder?John Gillies could step in and be their #1 guy within the next year or 2,drafting a guy with a 2nd round pick is going to take a lot longer to develop.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:09 PM   #11
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Career high 57 points. And that was in 2012.

Not sure why people are so high on this guy, not to mention his alleged attitude problems.

If you are shopping for a high end winger, then at least shop for the really high end stuff.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2018, 03:13 PM   #12
CanucksWorstNightmare
Backup Goalie

Exp:

That is the problem though CroFlames , we dont have the picks to go shopping for a high end winger.A guy like Kane has the potential to be a high end winger but could be had for a bargain because some of the issues you listed above.Why not take a chance on the guy, if he works out then try re signing him and if he doesn't owell you didn't sell the house for him.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:16 PM   #13
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksWorstNightmare View Post
Would Buffalo not be more interested in guys like Gillies and Kylington then they would be in a 2nd rounder?John Gillies could step in and be their #1 guy within the next year or 2,drafting a guy with a 2nd round pick is going to take a lot longer to develop.
I prefer the Flames do not trade a Kylington or Gillies for Kane so those guys are off the table in my scenario. At that cost Kane is not the bargain price you claim in the OP.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2018, 03:27 PM   #14
CanucksWorstNightmare
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Well Vinny01 if this team needs scoring help which most people think they do you have to give something up for that.Gillies is expendable now that Rittich has shown what he is capable of ,you aren't trading Valamaki or Anderson so Kylington it is. There is still no guarantee Kylington ever becomes a full time NHL'r.I feel like you are overrating these 2 guys and there is no way you are getting any of the other high end scorers for these 2 guys alone without including draft picks which we don't have.

Last edited by CanucksWorstNightmare; 02-16-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:52 PM   #15
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kane has way too much baggage.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:03 PM   #16
CanucksWorstNightmare
Backup Goalie

Exp:

And Geeoff if your thinking is the same as all the other GM’s then boom Kane is all yours for a steal of a deal.Thats exactly why I think it’s worth the risk if the price is low enough.If you have to pay same price as Hoffman or any of the other high end guys then no I wouldn’t do it but I think he will end up being much cheaper.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:07 PM   #17
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kane is the Norovirus of the NHL I do not want him at all.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:08 PM   #18
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well Vinny01 if this team needs scoring help which most people think they do you have to give something up for that.Gillies is expendable now that Rittich has shown what he is capable of ,you aren't trading Valamaki or Anderson so Kylington it is. There is still no guarantee Kylington ever becomes a full time NHL'r.I feel like you are overrating these 2 guys and there is no way you are getting any of the other high end scorers for these 2 guys alone without including draft picks which we don't have.
There was a brief moment against the Bruins where Rittich was slow to get up. Without Gillies in place the team is looking at Parsons or McDonald playing in the nhl this year.

Kylington is a solid prospect so he is not a bargain price for a mediocre winger that hasn’t scored 50pts in 5 years, has a horrible reputation, and could walk in 2 months.

You can advocate trading for Kane for scoring purposes that is fine. He absolutely is an option the Flames can consider but Gillies and Kylington are worth more than a 2nd rounder and to me a 2nd is a bargain price for Kane. 2 prospects worth more than that is an overpay.

If Kane were willing to sign a 4x4 contract I would trade both Kylington and Gillies for him (assuming the Flames did their homework and are comfortable with Kane’s character and fit)

I prefer the Flames offer a package of Gillies, Kylington and Stone for Hoffman than Gillies and Kylington for Kane
Old 02-16-2018, 04:09 PM   #19
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And Geeoff if your thinking is the same as all the other GM’s then boom Kane is all yours for a steal of a deal.
Giving up assets for a rental who has been stone cold for months, and doesn't bring much else to the table when not scoring? I'm not sure there's a price low enough for that to be a steal.

I could see a bona-fide contender with assets to spare giving up something to acquire Kane as a depth player for insurance during a long playoff run. That isn't the Flames' position at all.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:23 PM   #20
CanucksWorstNightmare
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Perfect if the hate for this guy on here is the same as it is amongst NHL GM’s then we should be able to get him for Shinkaruk and a 5th.Maybe Gillies/Kylington is over payment and if you can get this guy for less then that RIGHT ON!!!