Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-12-2018, 03:30 PM   #41
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

First of all, none of us know the dynamics of that room, nor do you know what kind of a person each player is, so you really can't have a comment. Great player doesn't equal good leader.

They slapped an A on Monahan in his 2nd year and he's been a constant since. He was also captain in junior. Using logic, you can assume he's got some leadership qualities and therefore its reasonable to guess he might be captain later. To say who SHOULD be captain is folly.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2018, 04:54 PM   #42
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Obviously the captain should be the first one of them to come in and change the music on the stereo. That is what makes someone a real captain.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:58 PM   #43
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think our next captain is playing for another team right now.

But if not, Monahan. Only because I think Harrison Ford would be the captain of whatever team he was on.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:04 PM   #44
LostCatalyst
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Monahan.
LostCatalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:13 PM   #45
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I'm sorry but what has Bennett done over the last 3 seasons that indicated he will:
1) stop taking stupid penalties
2) come anywhere close to Monahan and Tkachuk levels of production

Genuinely curious because as far as I've seen he has gotten worse since leaving Backlund line, is taking as many or more penalties than ever (often from being out of position/ getting beat) and hasn't really had any periods of sustained offensive production
LOL... Wooooooosh.

My point was that the discussion is moot at this point as all or none of them could be with the team by the time Gio hangs them up or is no longer the Captain of the Flames. Therefor, Sam has as much chance as either Monny or Takchuk do at this point in time.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:21 PM   #46
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
Tkachuk for me. We don't know how they truly are in the locker room tho, so it's hard to say. Tkachuk is the guy just based off work ethic and compete.
Sounds a lot like Giordano.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:27 PM   #47
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Matthew Tkachuk.

Its a no brainer to me. So composed, very smart, will drag his teammates into the battle every night.

What the hell is this narrative that Tkachuk plays a "mouthy game"? What games are you watching? He doesn't chirp hardly ever. He is very even keeled. Skates away all the time. He is far from some idiot pest and hes only 20. Will only get more refined.

Monahan would be an OK choice but I believe Tkachuk would be an even better one.

Time will tell.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2018, 06:31 PM   #48
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hamonic
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:32 PM   #49
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I kinda don't want Tkachuk to be the captain simply so he can have plausible deniability for a lot of the things he does out there.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #50
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
Matthew Tkachuk.

Its a no brainer to me. So composed, very smart, will drag his teammates into the battle every night.
I can't tell if you are serious.

Tkachuk being a smart, composed player? What are you watching? The guy who has been suspended multiple times in his NHL career by his second season, twice this year for engaging players who were either off the ice surface or while he was off the playing area.

He is obviously a great player who is very competitive but that doesn't mean he is the player who you would want to be talking to the referees. The only similar player who is a captain is Landeskog.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:38 PM   #51
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Captain Smith sounds a'ight. Probably Hamonic will be likely Tkachuk and Gaudreau should be A's - no pun intended.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:40 PM   #52
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post

Tkachuk being a smart, composed player? What are you watching? The guy who has been suspended multiple times in his NHL career by his second season, twice this year for engaging players who were either off the ice surface or while he was off the playing area.

He is obviously a great player who is very competitive but that doesn't mean he is the player who you would want to be talking to the referees. The only similar player who is a captain is Landeskog.
Get some peanut butter for that jelly!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2018, 06:44 PM   #53
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stryker Steve. If it keeps him here, I'd vote for him as the next Flames captain
Old 02-12-2018, 06:47 PM   #54
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Get some peanut butter for that jelly!
Yeah, I'm pretty jealous of the player as every NHL fan would be, Tkachuk looks like a stud. I just question whether he would be a good choice for captain, given his tendencies to do some really stupid things from time to time.

I look forward to many battles between the Canucks and the Flames in the next few years. Hopefully Petterson and Juolevi continue to develop, Boeser and Horvat keep impressing and there can actually be some interesting games between the two clubs soon. Plus it has been too long since our last riot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2018, 06:50 PM   #55
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was just joking of course. I agree with you though. I love Tkachuk, he is quickly becoming my favourite player, but I wouldn't make him captain.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:54 PM   #56
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Was just joking of course. I agree with you though. I love Tkachuk, he is quickly becoming my favourite player, but I wouldn't make him captain.
Oh I knew what you were saying, I just thought that I would reinforce how good of a player that I think Tkachuk is and how good I think he will be. I think that a captain doesn't necessarily have to be the best leader in the dressing room, but he does have to be the most diplomatic player on the ice. If there is a team that has Tkachuk as a captain, that team isn't going to win too many discussions with the referee or get the benefit of the doubt too often. He just has too much of a history based on how he plays the game and that is what makes him a great player. A letter on a jersey doesn't matter as much in the dressing room.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2018, 06:56 PM   #57
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post

Like I said, hes 20 years old. He is learning. His weakness of losing some cool comes when he is sticking up for teammates. He will get that under control if he hasn't already. Complete student of the game.

But yeah he is absolutely very smart and composed for a guy who has the opposition wanting to kill him every night. This isn't an Avery or Burrows or Matt Cooke, Claude Lemieux or Raffi Torres here. He doesn't yap at or disrespect officials. Matthew is very unique.

Watch some Flames games and get some learning Canucklehead.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:17 PM   #58
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
If it's Bennett I will be very excited. I will also eat an actual hat as I believe this to be unlikely at best.
What style hat?
Old 02-12-2018, 07:23 PM   #59
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Monahan no question with the C. But Tkachuk will be an excellent vocal and passionate A.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:27 PM   #60
StAlbertFlame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
You don't give a guy that plays Tkachuk's game the C. The C is supposed to be that guy who sets a good example on the ice and has a lot on their plate. You want Tkachuk to be able to play that pesty irritating mouthy game without worrying about what example he is setting or even care. Monahan will make an ideal next Captain, leave Tkachuk to being a power forward pest with nothing but that on his plate.
I agree totally... Let Tkachuk be what he is, a pest, quite possibly the most talented pest in the game. Adding responsibility of a captaincy could take some of the edge that makes him great.
StAlbertFlame is offline   Reply With Quote