Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2018, 09:09 AM   #101
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFlameDog View Post
No I think you are right, working out of town I usually hit the game thread when I couldn't see the game. Up until the last couple seasons I could get a decent pulse on the game from the thread and it usually lined up with what I read on line or actually saw when I went back and watched the game.

Now, I have no clue...I will go looking for a players egregious error that requires sun shooting and will see a normal missed hockey play that happened 10 other times with 10 other players that game. I will assume the Flames played the entire game in their own end and will be surprised because the NHL app will tell me they are out shooting and scoring the other team.
I often picture certain posters hunched over their computer just waiting for their targeted player to make some sort of mistake. And they are so happy when it happens.

It's often apparent that the complaints were formed at some point in the past and the poster just hasn't followed any progression. Complaints about Stajan being useless when he has played pretty well for weeks. Complaints about Brouwer on the powerplay when he was off it for weeks and had just been put back on because players were hurt. Complaints about GG rolling 4 lines no matter what, when he's been shortening his bench considerably as the season progresses.

Or complaints that ignore reality: Monahan can't finish (except those 27 times I guess), Brouwer doesn't stand up for teammates or hit (except when he does), Johnny is lazy, Lazar is soft.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2018, 09:17 AM   #102
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the problem is that some posters only watch Flames hockey, and so they think that the errors that some players make only happen here. It pays to watch other teams play, then you realize how solid our top 4 is etc. by comparison.

Last edited by puckedoff; 02-13-2018 at 12:17 PM.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2018, 10:31 AM   #103
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
People in public can control themselves - because the standards demand it.

No reason they can't do the same on the internet - only difference is that they don't have to. The reason I eventually found calgarypuck and joined the community was precisely that it seemed to have higher standards than other corners of the internet.

That has gone out the window in the last year or two, and it has nothing to do with fan expectations.
Exactly. I really hope mods are taking a serious look at the state of this fire and ice forum, give those who routinely turn things toxic, and eventually a permaban if they can't grow up.

No great forum can be great if you just hope people behave better, because that never happens and never will. Online people are just prone to trolling, hostility and will keep doing it IF they face no consequences.

Mods, take a harder line here, and we will see more GTs that have a lot more regulars and a far better experience. I'm not talking about simple negativity when a game warrants it, but these over the top people who cannot do anything else but complain, argue with posters and bring a thread down.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:48 AM   #104
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

MOD EDIT: Hey "poster". We don't read every post. If you see something, report it instead of calling us out.
Insane_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:07 PM   #105
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane_Flame View Post
MOD EDIT: Hey "poster". We don't read every post. If you see something, report it instead of calling us out.
I apologize for any hurt feelings. I will take your suggestion into consideration.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:23 PM   #106
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
I think the problem is that some posters only watch Flames hockey, and so they think that the errors that some players make only happen here. It pays to watch other teams play, then you realize how solid our top 4 is etc. by comparison.
Kind of like parents at minor hockey lol. Take your eyes off your own kid for a minute and watch the other pee wees make the same mistakes.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:51 PM   #107
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Thats why messageboard users arent GMs and why Democracy is the worst form of Governance around, but its the best we have.
Wait, so is it the best or worst? I feel like Fascist Dictatorships are pretty bad...
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:52 PM   #108
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always love hitting up the last page of a thread after skipping the previous 2.
My question is, wth are you guys even talking about? not the Hawks losing 6 - 1 to the Yotes, losing 6 in a row, and generally sucking.
I wonder if the Flames beating them back to back took the wind out of their sails for the season.
ok, get back to arguing about GDT's
Old 02-13-2018, 02:55 PM   #109
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Wait, so is it the best or worst? I feel like Fascist Dictatorships are pretty bad...
It's a quote from Winston Churchill (more or less).

"Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:31 PM   #110
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
It's a quote from Winston Churchill (more or less).

"Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."
Yeah, I knew it was derived from a famous quote... but the "except" part was left out of the one I commented on (pretty important distinction)... In any case, I wasn't being too serious... back on track now: The Blackhawks fans should be grateful for the rest of their lives, many fans will never see their favourite team win once, let alone 3 times in ten years.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:39 PM   #111
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think it is a few posters who constantly churn out the same type of posts. Overly negative and emotional.

Some people seem to think this is a place to vent-out their frustrations. I think there is a time for venting, and a time to actually make the effort to write constructive arguments to make a point. Pointless venting just brings down the conversation.

I often re-read what I have typed out before clicking on "post", and I can't tell you how often I just decided not to post after-all, or have cut-down what I wrote (if you can believe it! lol).

Also, don't keep posting the same thing over and over and over and over and over. It is not fun to read. If it is not fun to read, or doesn't provide additional insight into the same topic, why do it?

I think what some people forget is that this is a sport that we are following. We are 'fans' of a team. What is the point of following something that is making you so negative all the time? I would rather read 100 posts that touch on the same exact positive observation than read 10 consecutive negative posts about the same negative observation. It isn't because I am not a 'realist', or that I have my 'blinders on', or that I am a homer. I am a fan of a team that I give my money and attention to because I enjoy the product. When the team does well, everything is great. When the team does poorly, I look at why they are doing poorly to the best of my ability, but I also try and look for the positives - they are always there. Something is always going right. Some players doing well, some hot-shot prospect giving us hope, so move or rumored move... something.

Just stop with the CONSTANT negativity. Make your argument, have a discussion about it, and then focus on looking for good things. There are a bunch of posters that I haven't blocked, but no longer bother to read as I find it tiresome (even if they just post a single line - unlike the tiresome posts I often type up).

This is still a damn good site to talk hockey. There are still damn good posters bothering to basically create content for the rest of us to go through. Too often I feel like I am reading newspaper or youtube comments, but although I fricken hate them, they manage to walk that line seemingly forever without actually crossing it enough for a mod to actually throw them into the sun. I consider them essentially the same thing as trolling the forum, but just within the rules. The constant way they keep doing it is infuriating, but I also understand that from a mod perspective, you can't just smite them no matter how much they may want to. There are rules for this forum that everyone must abide by - the same rules that make this site a good one for discussion, but it is frustrating to see the same rules protect posters who seem intent on walking that line and contributing way too much to the negative vibe that is present here at times.

It is up to the rest of the posters on this site to just ignore them and drown them out with more posts of higher quality. That's all. That's how you fix a site like this. You don't look for mods or even Bingo to purge the site. You take responsibility and ownership, and just focus on posting more, and perhaps re-read a few of your own before submitting. This can be a quick turnaround (not that I would say it sucks here... it is just not as great as it once was, but can easily be again).
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #112
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Blackhawks beat writer rips fanbase

I try not to stray too far, in the spirit of my posts, from how I’d present an opinion or observation in an in-person conversation with other people. The cloak of internet anonymity will always produce a tad more vitriol than face-to-face discourse at the very least, but this can be kept in check if everyone’s mindful of the tone of their posts before mashing ‘submit’.

For me, the issues that plague the forum at times are as much to do with the antagonisic, drive-by nature of some posts as they are about negative outlooks on the team/players. The forum’s pessimists, realists, and optimists can all fall victim to this trap.

Last edited by Max Cow Disease; 02-13-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Max Cow Disease is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Max Cow Disease For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2018, 04:24 PM   #113
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I still think it is a few posters who constantly churn out the same type of posts. Overly negative and emotional.

Some people seem to think this is a place to vent-out their frustrations. I think there is a time for venting, and a time to actually make the effort to write constructive arguments to make a point. Pointless venting just brings down the conversation.

I often re-read what I have typed out before clicking on "post", and I can't tell you how often I just decided not to post after-all, or have cut-down what I wrote (if you can believe it! lol).

Also, don't keep posting the same thing over and over and over and over and over. It is not fun to read. If it is not fun to read, or doesn't provide additional insight into the same topic, why do it?

I think what some people forget is that this is a sport that we are following. We are 'fans' of a team. What is the point of following something that is making you so negative all the time? I would rather read 100 posts that touch on the same exact positive observation than read 10 consecutive negative posts about the same negative observation. It isn't because I am not a 'realist', or that I have my 'blinders on', or that I am a homer. I am a fan of a team that I give my money and attention to because I enjoy the product. When the team does well, everything is great. When the team does poorly, I look at why they are doing poorly to the best of my ability, but I also try and look for the positives - they are always there. Something is always going right. Some players doing well, some hot-shot prospect giving us hope, so move or rumored move... something.

Just stop with the CONSTANT negativity. Make your argument, have a discussion about it, and then focus on looking for good things. There are a bunch of posters that I haven't blocked, but no longer bother to read as I find it tiresome (even if they just post a single line - unlike the tiresome posts I often type up).

This is still a damn good site to talk hockey. There are still damn good posters bothering to basically create content for the rest of us to go through. Too often I feel like I am reading newspaper or youtube comments, but although I fricken hate them, they manage to walk that line seemingly forever without actually crossing it enough for a mod to actually throw them into the sun. I consider them essentially the same thing as trolling the forum, but just within the rules. The constant way they keep doing it is infuriating, but I also understand that from a mod perspective, you can't just smite them no matter how much they may want to. There are rules for this forum that everyone must abide by - the same rules that make this site a good one for discussion, but it is frustrating to see the same rules protect posters who seem intent on walking that line and contributing way too much to the negative vibe that is present here at times.

It is up to the rest of the posters on this site to just ignore them and drown them out with more posts of higher quality. That's all. That's how you fix a site like this. You don't look for mods or even Bingo to purge the site. You take responsibility and ownership, and just focus on posting more, and perhaps re-read a few of your own before submitting. This can be a quick turnaround (not that I would say it sucks here... it is just not as great as it once was, but can easily be again).
I'd hate to see this post before you cut it down!

I also do a lot of deleting what I typed and not bothering to post, but I sure don't care as much as I used to and sometimes I will post my feeble attempts at humor. I don't even care about making solid contributions in debates anymore. Why? Because the best discussions on this site happened over a dozen years ago. Even though the best discussions are years behind us, this site still hosts some of the best discussions. We just have to wade through posts we don't want to see, which is frustrating to do in certain types of threads. When I wade into those threads I really want to just take a break. The thing is, Calgarypuck is my addiction. I keep coming back because it gives me what I need. So, I just take the good with the bad and try to not let the annoying stuff bother me.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:20 PM   #114
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Yeah, I knew it was derived from a famous quote... but the "except" part was left out of the one I commented on (pretty important distinction)... In any case, I wasn't being too serious... back on track now: The Blackhawks fans should be grateful for the rest of their lives, many fans will never see their favourite team win once, let alone 3 times in ten years.
Heck, I was ALIVE for a CUB WS championship! Something that eluded my old man's lifetime!
Old 02-14-2018, 02:31 PM   #115
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I am just grateful for posters like you who get to hover above everyone and tell them how they should be conducting themselves. The air is already thin in Calgary, you must be dizzy as hell all the way up there.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:20 PM   #116
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
I am just grateful for posters like you who get to hover above everyone and tell them how they should be conducting themselves. The air is already thin in Calgary, you must be dizzy as hell all the way up there.
Who are you talking to?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 04:22 PM   #117
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No one is telling people how to conduct themselves. But they are commenting on it, and perhaps saying how they wish it would be. It's funny how some people want the freedom to make whatever comment they want but can't stand being critiqued about it. Apparently it's a one-way street.

A while ago I suggested prior to a game thread people specifically talk about in-game events and not make general comments about players, coaches, etc. I specifically said I was not telling people not to do so - just making a suggestion. Of course I got back a bunch of "you can't tell me how to post" replies.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 04:41 PM   #118
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Well this thread is...interesting.

Anyhoo... Jeff Glass has been placed on waivers.

Probably doesnt care a whole lot either after finally making the show at age 32...one of his bucket list items is now checked off.