Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2018, 12:13 PM   #41
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefoss1957 View Post
Transplant...I think that only the conditions at the time of execution can apply, otherwise contracts would be too malleable.
Nothing in the cap recapture penalty affects the actual contract between the Blackhawks and Hossa. It only affects their capacity to spend money on other contracts, and they agreed to be bound by that rule when the current CBA was negotiated. The whole issue is a red herring.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:19 PM   #42
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
Sadly, reminds me of some of the stuff you read in a GT here most (all?) games. Hell, even most wins, we have a few that feel the need to criticize over and over. Calling players “garbage” “stupid” “losers” etc
100%

My ignore list grows constantly, and I often get to the point of just needing to take time off CP when I'm sick of wading through pages of temper tantrums and mental breakdowns.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:22 PM   #43
mennoknight
Scoring Winger

Exp:

To be fair...Seabrook is really bad.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:28 PM   #44
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sadly, reminds me of some of the stuff you read in a GT here most (all?) games. Hell, even most wins, we have a few that feel the need to criticize over and over. Calling players “garbage” “stupid” “losers” etc
It bears remembering that a lot of these guys are local,and/or have families who are, and it's not a stretch to think they read this site. I was always uncomfortable thinking about how relatives of local guys like Mason Raymond, or Joe Colborne, or Devon Setoguchi would fee about some of the comments about them.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:39 PM   #45
jessnuts
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Former Player: I really didn’t play well for that couple of seasons because my private life had was going through hell. My mental state was not in anyway where it needed to be to play hockey, as even away from the rink the distraction/pain I was going through made life hard every day.

Fans: Oh wow, we had no idea. They were so strong/brave to play every game. I can’t imagine going through that and still being in the spot light. We need to create more social awareness and concern about this subject. End the stigma!!

Current Player: *struggles for a game/week/month/season(s)*

Fans: What a garbage bag. Fire that guy into the sun. No excuses, absolute loser. I don’t care what he’s going through, this is your job and you’re paid to do it, so cut the crap, don’t be a baby, and play the game at an elite level...or just die at this point, I don’t care!

Not saying this is what’s going on with any struggling player on any team, as I have zero inside knowledge. Just something I think about when people start going off on players. Figured this was the best thread to post this in, as it avoids it looking like I’m directing it at any posters around here. Because it does happen with every team.
jessnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jessnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 12:41 PM   #46
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^Not a stretch at all. My buddy's kid used to play for the Wild and he was always on the Wild message boards. He never posted but I know it was hard on him.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:42 PM   #47
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennoknight View Post
Completely missing the point
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:57 PM   #48
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
100%

My ignore list grows constantly, and I often get to the point of just needing to take time off CP when I'm sick of wading through pages of temper tantrums and mental breakdowns.
I guess that is the right way to deal with it. The temper tantrums don’t personally get to me as it is a reflection of how fans are generally feeling. I’m not excusing anyone that makes over the top comments. It is childish.

But what I also don’t like are those fans who feel the need to constantly criticize and put down other fans who they deem as overly negative or emotional.

As a result post game threads are made up of emotional comments followed by the same old internet policemen who feel the need to tell said posters how stupid they are.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:58 PM   #49
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennoknight View Post
You do have to wonder sometimes about motivation. Seabrook has been and is being paid and hes won what there is to win and what hes going to win in his career. Hes done. Hes accomplished what hes going to accomplish.

Even if we take you to be correct and Seabrook is really bad he delivered 3 cups and an Olympic Gold.

For that alone he should still be getting a high-five on the streets of Chicago from all passers-by.

Well...less the Olympic Gold part...I'd under-play that if I were him...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:20 PM   #50
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I guess that is the right way to deal with it. The temper tantrums don’t personally get to me as it is a reflection of how fans are generally feeling. I’m not excusing anyone that makes over the top comments. It is childish.

But what I also don’t like are those fans who feel the need to constantly criticize and put down other fans who they deem as overly negative or emotional.

As a result post game threads are made up of emotional comments followed by the same old internet policemen who feel the need to tell said posters how stupid they are.
I don’t get this argument. CP should be held to a higher standard. People that go on and on for pages about the same player are not bringing any insight. They don’t add to the quality of the discussion. What ends up happening is it drives away some of the quality posters that want to discuss the game. I know for myself and a few others, I generally avoid GTs.

I also don’t think it is the opinion of the average fan. When I go to a game with a friend and a goal happens against, I don’t hear for 10 minutes about what a loser, idiot, moron the person is. Usually a “ugh that sucks, let’s get it back boys”

Sorry to derail the thread for a CP-centric topic, but worth mentioning I have felt the noticble decline in game and post game discussions (in my opinion, of course)
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:26 PM   #51
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t get this argument. CP should be held to a higher standard. People that go on and on for pages about the same player are not bringing any insight. They don’t add to the quality of the discussion. What ends up happening is it drives away some of the quality posters that want to discuss the game. I know for myself and a few others, I generally avoid GTs.

I also don’t think it is the opinion of the average fan. When I go to a game with a friend and a goal happens against, I don’t hear for 10 minutes about what a loser, idiot, moron the person is. Usually a “ugh that sucks, let’s get it back boys”

Sorry to derail the thread for a CP-centric topic, but worth mentioning I have felt the noticble decline in game and post game discussions (in my opinion, of course)
I'm not defending immature comments. I just get tired of reading how stupid everyone is. Players or fans.

What I've noticed is that these irrational comments seem to attract a certain type of poster who feel it necessary to tell people what's wrong with them.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Jbo
Old 02-11-2018, 01:29 PM   #52
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
100%

Well you just have to accept that we live in a time of instant gratification where everyone wants everything now and that includes success by the team they choose to cheer for. I don't think there's a solution unless you want to limit the forum to 25% of its current posters which isn't exactly fair as most fans should be able to have a voice even if you or I don't agree with it. I find threads like the current "Did the Flames wait too long to trade Bennett...." thread a total embarrassment given the subject is a 21 year old player. Really think about that. He's 21 and we have a thread stating maybe the Flames should have given up on him when he was 19 or 20? This is the mentality fans have now where if they don't see instant progress or great play they start to get overly negative on the player and that continues to build until it gets to an irrational dislike. I haven't posted in that thread to keep myself clean but it does get tiring seeing fans pile on the same players after every game and the same culprits that can't wait for any opportunity to bash the Flames they like the least. That said I don't have a single person on ignore as I have a pretty good filter in my head and kind of just move on to the posts I prefer to engage with as even the people I don't agree with a lot of the time have good or relevant things to say on occasion so I keep an open mind.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:30 PM   #53
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Then maybe those crappy negative posters should take the hint, no? Perhaps as forum members we should all be able to guide how we want this forum to look. I see countless posts from those who have been here a while discussing how the quality of discussion has dropped and we see nothing but really bad posts and those who traditionally post something worthwhile starting to stay away. I guess it depends on whether or not you think this forum should be held to a certain standard or not, a standard that is above and beyond what the mods have control over. Those who wish to be part of this forum must elevate their contributions or be prepared to defend the low-level vitriolic and petty posts they normally provide. What was once a handful of people that you could ignore in the past has now become the norm around here, making it difficult to combat the lowered quality of posts. Perhaps if those regulars adopted a little more of that internet policeman mentality and told some of those others that they're being stupid, we wouldn't still be having these discussions because the low quality posters would have found their way to the exit.

I really have no problem with someone calling out the stupid posts of others. Call a spade a spade. If someone's acting like and idiot, let them know it. Perhaps they'll think twice before posting in the same manner in the future.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 01:33 PM   #54
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

While the writer may be right, what the heck is he chastising the fans for? The truth is that Blackhawks management has held on to guys past their expiration date. Seabrook and Keith should've been traded a season or two back to get max value for them. Forget the recent history of cups - you want to be competitive as possible and not hold onto old horses too long. Management should be critiqued by fans when they miss the boat. That's what makes Montreal fans so good. They don't take that bs that other fans take from management and they demand results (sometimes to a fault). Anyway, back to Chicago - they really have to retool and get younger on D.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:33 PM   #55
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
^^Not a stretch at all. My buddy's kid used to play for the Wild and he was always on the Wild message boards. He never posted but I know it was hard on him.
Lots of Flames players read Calgarypuck, it's a little embarrassing how a lot of fans post considering that.

Brandon Bollig was here all the time (He even looked into the camera in an interview and smiled when he said "hopefully that'll get the ketchup flowing" after there was a CP meme about goal scoring = ketchup flowing) and yet dozens of fans would call him garbage and hurl insult after insult.

That's gotta be tough.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 01:39 PM   #56
Knut

Exp:

The amount of hate thrown at Brodie on here is brutal. Especially because a member of his family is a frequent contributor.

The stuff said about Bennett is sickening too.

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...&postcount=492
Quote:
The game was pretty even till Bennett took the stupid penalty. This guy should be in Korea right now playing for the Olympics team
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...37&postcount=1
Quote:
Bennett should just #### off

Garbage player
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...47&postcount=7
Quote:
Put Bennett on the next Falcon Heavy and let him chase Musk's Tesla.
Garbage player.
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...9&postcount=16
Quote:
Bennet can f..off this team.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #57
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Lots of Flames players read Calgarypuck, it's a little embarrassing how a lot of fans post considering that.

Brandon Bollig was here all the time (He even looked into the camera in an interview and smiled when he said "hopefully that'll get the ketchup flowing" after there was a CP meme about goal scoring = ketchup flowing) and yet dozens of fans would call him garbage and hurl insult after insult.

That's gotta be tough.
Yeah I think about that which is why I choose not to pile on players. Bollig was totally trashed here and it was pretty gross at times. I mean if they have a bad game I'm going to call that out in a post game thread but I'm not going to get on the "lets trash Bennett, Hamilton (this one's always puzzled me but there's a few posters here that hate him), Brouwer (the contract is bad but he's been a lot better this season), Jankowski, Lazar, Stajan, etc bandwagon. I've been a bit vocal about Brodie's struggles but that's only because he's a player that the team overly depends on and when he struggles it hurts the team but it's nothing against him and I hope that he gets back to the player we think he can be. It's a team game and the wins and losses are usually team efforts so it gets tiring after every loss the same posters pinning the loss on one of the whipping boys as these players most nights try their best and deserve better from the fans as I can't recall a Flames team that's ever had a group of players that have just mailed it in on a season like we have seen from the Avs, Oilers, Sabres, etc. We should feel pretty good about that.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 02-11-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #58
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not defending immature comments. I just get tired of reading how stupid everyone is. Players or fans.

What I've noticed is that these irrational comments seem to attract a certain type of poster who feel it necessary to tell people what's wrong with them.

The irony of the fact that's exactly what you're doing now seems lost on you.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:43 PM   #59
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
You do have to wonder sometimes about motivation. Seabrook has been and is being paid and hes won what there is to win and what hes going to win in his career. Hes done. Hes accomplished what hes going to accomplish.

Even if we take you to be correct and Seabrook is really bad he delivered 3 cups and an Olympic Gold.
For that alone he should still be getting a high-five on the streets of Chicago from all passers-by.

Well...less the Olympic Gold part...I'd under-play that if I were him...
That's a common complaint about players, but I think most guys just aren't genetically blessed enough to play hockey at NHL star level well into their 30's.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:45 PM   #60
Salt Water Cowboy #10
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
While the writer may be right, what the heck is he chastising the fans for? The truth is that Blackhawks management has held on to guys past their expiration date. Seabrook and Keith should've been traded a season or two back to get max value for them. Forget the recent history of cups - you want to be competitive as possible and not hold onto old horses too long. Management should be critiqued by fans when they miss the boat. That's what makes Montreal fans so good. They don't take that bs that other fans take from management and they demand results (sometimes to a fault). Anyway, back to Chicago - they really have to retool and get younger on D.
Agreed, 90% of Chicago’s problems are the result of management signing these contracts. They painted themselves into a corner. The fans can say what they want about the players. They aren’t living up to the contracts. Players should’ve been dealt or signed to different deals. I think Teows is just having an off year though. But it’s on management for the most part
Salt Water Cowboy #10 is offline   Reply With Quote