Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-19-2018, 08:19 PM   #241
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
You have a small period of time to sign an MLB draft pick. Once that time is up the player goes back in the draft. Usually if a guy is drafted in the MLB as a college player, he's been drafted previously as a high school guy.
thanks.... its a bit convoluted... but its still on the CBA of baseball not the NCAA why there are no drafted players in college... if the rights of players didn't go back into the draft as a result of MLB's rules then there's no reason why a MLB draftee couldn't enroll in school, so long as he didn't sign with an agent, signed a contract, or accepted money from the organization that drafted him.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:12 PM   #242
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/966384969038798848
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2018, 12:14 PM   #243
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Stay away Keller - you better not try to recruit him to Arizona!!
burnitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:27 PM   #244
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitdown View Post
Stay away Keller - you better not try to recruit him to Arizona!!
I'd move Fox for Domi....
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:31 PM   #245
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm that one could be intriguing.

Strome, Fischer, Merkley, or Domi are all intriguing names out of Phoenix if they really like Fox or want to keep Keller happy and acquire his best friend.

Move from a position of depth to get a young forward prospect that is closer to contributing but still has a high upside...I could live with that even though I really like Fox.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 02-21-2018 at 12:35 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:31 PM   #246
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I'd move Fox for Domi....
but why? From a risk/reward perspective, doesn't he have one of the higher, if not highest, ceilings of all our great dmen.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:35 PM   #247
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
but why? From a risk/reward perspective, doesn't he have one of the higher, if not highest, ceilings of all our great dmen.
IMO Fox is the highest upside but also the highest risk of hitting that potential (Smaller frame, Good but not great skater) and potentially not signing here.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 02-21-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:41 PM   #248
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would do Fox for Domi in a heartbeat. And I would be willing to add.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:42 PM   #249
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
IMO Fox is the highest upside but also the highest risk of hitting that potential (Smaller frame, Good but not great skater) and potentially not signing here.
I get the size thing, but we are seeing a sudden surge of smaller dmen being selected earlier on in the draft, and around the league we are starting to see some success in that frame, if they having the skating, stick/body positioning, and brains to be effective defensively.

With regards to the risk of him not signing, i don't believe that's something to worry about until it becomes something to worry about. We all do this every season it seems, but the guy gets signed, or in Hickey's case, the team is able to utilize the asset in a trade.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:44 PM   #250
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Or you could pry Keller away from Arizona. Valimaki + Andersson for Keller. Fox signs in Calgary thanks to the decreased prospect logjam on D/joins his best friend and your top nine suddenly looks like this...

Gaudreau Monahan Ferland
Tkachuk Backlund Keller
Bennett Jankowski Frolik
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:45 PM   #251
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Or you could pry Keller away from Arizona. Valimaki + Andersson for Keller. Fox signs in Calgary thanks to the decreased prospect logjam on D and your top nine suddenly looks like this...

Gaudreau Monahan Ferland
Tkachuk Backlund Keller
Bennett Jankowski Frolik
Does it have to happen now to make sense?

Sorry Steve, couldn't resist.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:46 PM   #252
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Does it have to happen now to make sense?

Sorry Steve, couldn't resist.
That obviously goes without saying.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:47 PM   #253
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I get the size thing, but we are seeing a sudden surge of smaller dmen being selected earlier on in the draft, and around the league we are starting to see some success in that frame, if they having the skating, stick/body positioning, and brains to be effective defensively.

With regards to the risk of him not signing, i don't believe that's something to worry about until it becomes something to worry about. We all do this every season it seems, but the guy gets signed, or in Hickey's case, the team is able to utilize the asset in a trade.
Personally I just think if we are going to move one of the 4 dmen he is probably the best from a returned value perspective.

I wonder how we would rate Valimaki, Andersson, Fox, Kylington if they switched routes. Would Kylington and Andersson be lighting up the NCAA just as much as Fox has if they went that route...probably.

Would we all be as high on Fox if like Kylington he went right to the AHL after his draft - maybe not as some defensive holes might be more glaring if he's playing against older AHL quality forwards.

If you look at draft+1 season for all of them from an NHL Equivalency perspective (considering that points is a terrible indicator for d-men but really it's the only way to compare their offensive production across leagues)

Kylington (AHL-hardest step up) - 9 points
Andersson (OHL) - 23 points
Fox (NCAA) - 21 points
Valimaki (WHL) - 23 points

I think we sometimes discount just how good of prospects Andersson and Valimaki are - comparable draft+1 results. Especially Andersson who continues to prove himself at the AHL level and looks dominating at times.

When I look at risk/reward and just how close those 4 d-men are from a talent perspective, and their perceived value to the rest of the league right now (Fox may actually be the highest), I tend to lean towards moving Fox since I think the actual potentials of the 4 are pretty close but he has the highest perceived value right now in the league.

Really I wish we didn't have to move any of the 4 and that we would have used the assets we traded for Hamonic to get a top 6 forward and Andersson was up with the big team all year long.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 02-21-2018 at 12:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2018, 12:50 PM   #254
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is a reason they selected Andersson before Kylington. I think he is going to be a great Dman and he is the one that is going to force Treliving to make room for him.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:53 PM   #255
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think he does have the highest ceiling, he's our best prospect in my eyes. I just really like Domi, probably irrationally so.

For me, it goes Fox > Kylington > Andersson > Valimaki.

Which is saying something, because Valimaki is a great prospect. We're loaded on the back-end with high-end prospects, and that's a definite strength.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2018, 12:54 PM   #256
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Had to google Patrick Harper because of this, surprise, surprise he's drafted by Nashville in the 5th round of the 2016 draft.

He'll probably be a point per game NHLer by 2020.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:05 PM   #257
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Or you could pry Keller away from Arizona. Valimaki + Andersson for Keller. Fox signs in Calgary thanks to the decreased prospect logjam on D/joins his best friend and your top nine suddenly looks like this...

Gaudreau Monahan Ferland
Tkachuk Backlund Keller
Bennett Jankowski Frolik
Going to have to update your title to "Asset Handler"
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:15 PM   #258
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fox is friends with Tkachuk and Parsons as well, and Fox has also been to each development camp after being drafted. Flames will need to make room for him, but I see zero reason why he wouldn’t want to sign here if the Flames do promise make room when he’s ready to play in the NHL. The question is how far away do the Flames see Fox from the NHL and how far away Fox thinks he is. I still think Fox needs one year in the AHL before stepping into the NHL and I think the Flames would think so too. It would be much better for his development to start playing against AHL pros than staying at a Harvard for another two years. He’s proven he can dominate the NCAA, playing in the AHL should be his next step. I think this is what the Flames would want to happen but if Fox does not want to go to the minors is when there might be an issue. Flames do not like to rush Dmen, especially an undersized one with defensive holes.

Last edited by Beninho; 02-21-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:20 PM   #259
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Fox is friends with Tkachuk and Parsons as well, and Fox has also been to each development camp after being drafted. Flames will need to make room for him but I see zero reason why he wouldn’t want to sign here if the Flames do make room. The question is how far away do the Flames see Fox from the NHL and how far away Fox thinks he is. I still think Fox needs one year in the AHL before stepping into the NHL and I think the Flames would think so too. It would be much better for his development to start playing against AHL pros than staying at a Harvard for another two years. He’s proven he can dominate the NCAA, playing in the AHL should be his next step.
I think Fox is steering the ship until there is any signs of his progress plateauing.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:25 PM   #260
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Unless there is an absolute fit, I don't mind Fox finishing at Harvard, both from a developmental perspective and for his own good. Flames should see what they have in Andersson, Kylington and Valimaki first, there is no reason to rush Fox into the big show. Janko stayed the whole time and I think that helped his development immensely. Plus, Fox is only 20 - if he can wait until he's 22, that is really not that far away.

Also, if you can finish a degree from Harvard you do it. Having an Ivy League education after the career is done is definitely an asset.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote