Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #21
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually think Sven should take note of how Galiardi plays. Sure he doesn't have the goal scoring touch right now really but he's good at keeping the play alive and in the opposition end.

Getting a bit tired of Sven not getting it deep and making the simple plays when he should. Heck, sometimes his teammates are going for a line change and he still tries to make something happen.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #22
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

blah blah blah strength training joke blah blah blah (please love me)

It's time for the Flames to start a game strong again. They would dominate the 1st in those game to start the year and trail off as the game went on. Lately it's been the opposite and they need to get back to pushing the envelope to start the game. They probably backed off on this approach because they were getting scored on frequently to begin games, but that has more to do with substandard goaltending than anything else. Now that they have a solid net minder they need to regain the fearless approach. They looked so timid against some of the better teams lately, and only when they stopped giving too much respect did they actually play better and start to dominate the game.

I'm just hoping for 60 minutes of effort tonight. If they do that, they should be able to win against Dallas. I want this game as a springboard game to Saturday where we need to really show who the better team is.

Go Flames!
Old 11-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #23
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

blah blah blah, I don't like it when I don't get thanked and others do. (please thank me)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to terminator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #24
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

To those saying Backlund has done little to show he deserves to play on a line with skilled players, how have Colbourne and Stajan show they deserve to be centring the first or second line? The only centre with more points than Backlund is Monahan. Stajan despite getting loads of icetime on the first line including powerplay time has five points in ten games.

Colbourne has four points in 17 games. Backlund has 6 points in 17 games. Sure Backlund has higher average ice time than Colbourne but the difference can be accounted for in PK time.

I get that Backlund can be better and hope he "responds" but this is kind of like the situation Stajan was in with Sutter. If you don't put Backlund in a situation where he can succeed, then he won't. Even last season Hartley was very reluctant to increase Backlund's icetime or give him PP time. Hopefully Backlund explodes soon and leaves Hartley no other choice. He is more a number two centre than Backlund or Colbourne.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #25
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Bouma might be sitting today:

Wes Gilbertson@SUNGilbertson22s
#Flames lines at morning skate: Galiardi-Stajan-Jones, Cammalleri-Colborne-Stempniak, Baertschi-Monahan-Hudler, Jackman-Backlund-McGrattan

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #26
bluloc
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombad View Post
These strength training jokes are stupid you guys, just stop. If I had my way I would pick all of you up and throw you out of this thread... but I can't....

I'm not.... strong enough....
Perhaps If you had proper strength training.....😳
The Following User Says Thank You to bluloc For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #27
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

And it looks like Breen was sent down on a conditioning loan to Abby again:

http://theahl.com/stats/transactions.php

Old 11-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #28
ssjshmo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post

#Flames lines at morning skate: Galiardi-Stajan-Jones, Cammalleri-Colborne-Stempniak, Baertschi-Monahan-Hudler, Jackman-Backlund-McGrattan
Can't wait see Backlund light it up again tonight with such skilled wingers. Because its worked in past games.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #29
MyFlamesFirst
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Neither jackman or mcgrattan should be playing instead of Bouma...
Old 11-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #30
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
To those saying Backlund has done little to show he deserves to play on a line with skilled players, how have Colbourne and Stajan show they deserve to be centring the first or second line? The only centre with more points than Backlund is Monahan. Stajan despite getting loads of icetime on the first line including powerplay time has five points in ten games.

Colbourne has four points in 17 games. Backlund has 6 points in 17 games. Sure Backlund has higher average ice time than Colbourne but the difference can be accounted for in PK time.

I get that Backlund can be better and hope he "responds" but this is kind of like the situation Stajan was in with Sutter. If you don't put Backlund in a situation where he can succeed, then he won't. Even last season Hartley was very reluctant to increase Backlund's icetime or give him PP time. Hopefully Backlund explodes soon and leaves Hartley no other choice. He is more a number two centre than Backlund or Colbourne.
I am guessing that we will see Backlund and Colborne being alternated in between skilled wingers until one of the two "makes it his". It is up to those two to make the most of the situation they are put in.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #31
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFlamesFirst View Post
Neither jackman or mcgrattan should be playing instead of Bouma...
Hartley leans on the vets way too much. Stajan, Jones and Galliardi have 5 goals between them all. Scratch McGrattan, ditto for Jackman and I'd rather see Backlund play the wing then wasting his two-way game on that embarrassing 4th line.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #32
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't put alot of faith in the morning skate lines anymore. Seems Hartley likes messing with opposing teams scouts
Old 11-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #33
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Hartley leans on the vets way too much. Stajan, Jones and Galliardi have 5 goals between them all. Scratch McGrattan, ditto for Jackman and I'd rather see Backlund play the wing then wasting his two-way game on that embarrassing 4th line.
To be fair, Jones and Galiardi have had some good chances the last few games when other players were struggling to create offense. It looks to be a confidence thing right now for those two. I wouldn't be shocked to see one of them score a goal tonight.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #34
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

though bouma hasn't been bad at all, i wish we say more nastiness in his game. thought he'd be more of a "bull in a china shop" type 4th liner. I'm also surprised he has yet to drop the gloves.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #35
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lehtonen played yesterday against the Oilers. There's a huge difference between goalies in Dallas. Ellis allows about 1.6 goals per game more.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #36
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

We didn't do so hot against the Sharks backup though.. Maybe if more than 13 shots I guess..
Old 11-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #37
Gary83
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjshmo View Post
Can't wait see Backlund light it up again tonight with such skilled wingers. Because its worked in past games.
Maybe we shouldn't pretend that Backlund has been lighting it up at all.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #38
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, it is Jackman's birthday today, maybe that's why he's playing.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #39
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund is increasing his strength training because he's going to have to carry those two guys if there is any chance of success for that line
Old 11-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #40
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

RT @SUNGilbertson: Smid, by the way, will be on #Flames third pairing tonight with Shane O'Brien, his teammate with the AHL's Portland Pirates in 2005-06.
Closed Thread

Tags
gtd , winwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwinwin