Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: What should the Flames do at the trade deadline?
Buy? 122 28.77%
Sell? 84 19.81%
Hold? 218 51.42%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2018, 12:47 PM   #221
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Plett View Post
Acquire Nilsson then trade Gillies?
You think there is any possibility that it could be a Gillies for Nilsson trade? I would hate to see him flourish in Crapcouver.
Insane_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #222
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames are not going to trade Gillies for a career back up who would only be here for a couple months.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2018, 12:58 PM   #223
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Flames are not going to trade Gillies for a career back up who would only be here for a couple months.
Maybe there is more to it? Maybe Brouwer and his "toughness"
Insane_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:01 PM   #224
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
A couple months? He is signed for $2.5 next year, making it a 3 goalie situation again.

Lol. Not happening , yet I can't stop hitting re-fresh.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:05 PM   #225
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
A couple months? He is signed for $2.5 next year, making it a 3 goalie situation again.

Lol. Not happening , yet I can't stop hitting re-fresh.
Haha, I didn't realize he has another year, and no that doesn't change my mind. It actually makes it even worse.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:15 PM   #226
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think there's room for both selling and buying if the price is right. Treliving should be looking at what he can pick up for Stajan, Versteeg and Stone and we should be looking for a top-6 right winger. It's a hole that needs to be addressed if not now, then the summer. Could be the difference between finishing outside the playoffs and making a deep run.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:37 PM   #227
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

What about Brouwer and Gillies for Nilsson+Gagner+something? I would do something like this. Gillies could be the best player or could be nothing, we get rid of troy and pick up someone who has had offensive success further down a lineup and an upgrade at backup/ smith filler
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:37 PM   #228
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nichushkin would have been a great add a few seasons ago - but I think his injury derailed his development, and so did Dallas.

Nichushkin was really, really strong along the boards and became really good defensively - most Dallas fans would chime in and agree here. He seemingly was doing everything right, but the coaching staff kept him down the lineup.

At the end of the day, he just didn't produce, and many people feel it was because of his injury and the time away from his development (and possibly never feeling quite right - though it is just speculation). He needs to show his scoring prowess a bit more in the KHL before I would feel comfortable trading assets for him (and no, Brodie is NOT something I would trade for his rights even if he was producing well right now).

Nichushkin is a gamble at this point, a bit of a long shot and I think is only worth a 2nd at best at the moment. You may want to gamble that he gets his game back and becomes the next Ovechkin or possibly Kovalev with his size, scoring ability and physicality - but he has never shown that in the NHL and is not showing that regularly enough in the KHL, so you need to 'gamble' on him based on what his new NHL trajectory might be - a third line depth scorer who - if things go absolutely awesome - can turn into a decent 1st line winger. He is no longer a prospect with 'franchise winger' potential. Brodie would be a massive overpayment for someone that may only be utilized in a third line depth scoring role. Say what you will about Brodie, but that would be a huge mistake.

I really liked Nichushkin at the draft, and have been more or less tracking his progress from a distance since then. Maybe he simply just didn't live up to his potential that he had, but any ideas of trading for him needs to address his present ability of being a 3rd liner and nothing more. Dallas would be smart to just hang onto him and see where his development goes in the KHL for as long as possible. What possible value does a forward prospect who has not performed offensively as expected, who had a major injury, and is now plying his trade in Russia carry? Not much. I wouldn't trade him for one of Brodie's shoelaces right now.

Will be interesting to see if the Flames find a winger by the trade deadline. Lots of names thrown out there... maybe the snag someone that they are rumored attached to (like Hoffman), or maybe they just use this trade deadline to balance out their defensive prospects a bit more with a prospect on the RW, even if that player is in junior right now. Would set them up for next year, or possibly a reach for a playoff add once that prospect's team finishes their season (including playoffs).

Either way, no old rentals (Rick Nash, I am looking at you) and no over-payments (Evander Kane I am looking at you even with a contract extension).

Either find a cost controlled 3rd line RW'er to play with Bennett and Jankowski who fits the age of this group for anything that is from a bargain to fair, or MAYBE balance-out the prospects by trading one of the strong defensive prospects that the Flames have for a RW prospect of the same (or similar) age and ability.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2018, 02:15 PM   #229
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dallas has every intention on getting Nichushkin back into the line up next season. It's going to cost to get him.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:33 PM   #230
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane_Flame View Post
I am not that familiar with the finer details of this site.
I just know someone who has connections to Nilsson. I take it with a grain of salt until I saw that the Canucks have just called up a goalie.
Canucks recalled Richard Bachman from the minors because Markstrom has a minor injury.

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet650/sta...15515524132864
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:21 PM   #231
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Didn't sureloss also mention that Nishushkin couldn't play in the NHL this season?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:29 PM   #232
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Didn't sureloss also mention that Nishushkin couldn't play in the NHL this season?
He is signed for this season for CSKA Moskva.
48 gp 14g 10a. No contract next season.

Stars reporters call it 50/50 he returns. I tend to think 70/30 since Ruff is no longer there.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:14 PM   #233
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder if right now would also be a good time to unload Ferland? I don't think trading him away would signal a rebuild/retool so much as adding more for the future. I believe we can replace him on the first line with Tkachuk and add another young developing player to the Backlund line.

Jets are also looking at adding another big scoring forward.

Ferland to Jets for Jets 1st rounder + prospect (Vesalainen + Petan/Roslovic)
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:03 PM   #234
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have to say hold, even though I am not a fan of it. I just can't think of any even remotely viable trade deadline deal that would put the franchise solidly into the playoffs, with a chance to make it even to the second round.

I mean, if only we hadn't missed out on the Dion Phaneuf sweepstakes.

What would be great, is if Pittsburgh came to their senses and realized that they are not going to win a third cup in a row (just because nobody does anymore) and sell high on Phil Kessel. Then we put together some sort of offer involving Ferland and stuff? and watch as Kessel winds up in, oh, I don't know, let's say Winnipeg.

There's just nothing out there.
ThisIsAnOutrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:29 PM   #235
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

[B]What would be great, is if Pittsburgh came to their senses and realized that they are not going to win a third cup in a row (just because nobody does anymore) and sell high on Phil Kessel. Then we put together some sort of offer involving Ferland

Ferlands going no where and Pittsburgh ......Pittsburgh may be the only team I see winning another cup the way they are playing right now.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:49 PM   #236
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nilsson? lmao. Now I've heard it all. Yes, the Flames need more AHL-level goaltending.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:55 PM   #237
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames are not trading Gillies. Trading Gillies means the Flames are an injury away from having MacDonald or Parson as backup. Not a chance.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:11 PM   #238
RoughRiderRowdy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ferland cnnot generate offense on his own. Flash in the pan. We need him playing like Ferkland of years past. Unload him for a 1st and prospect
RoughRiderRowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:28 PM   #239
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
I wonder if right now would also be a good time to unload Ferland? I don't think trading him away would signal a rebuild/retool so much as adding more for the future. I believe we can replace him on the first line with Tkachuk and add another young developing player to the Backlund line.

Jets are also looking at adding another big scoring forward.

Ferland to Jets for Jets 1st rounder + prospect (Vesalainen + Petan/Roslovic)
I’m against trading Ferland, but for a first + Vesalainen + Roslovic you can’t say no. Roslovic is already an NHL player and a RHS.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk
Bennett - Backlund - Frolik
x - Jankowski - Roslovic
Hathaway/Lazar/Brouwer/Stajan

Last edited by Love; 02-20-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:31 PM   #240
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Flames are not trading Gillies. Trading Gillies means the Flames are an injury away from having MacDonald or Parson as backup. Not a chance.
I agree. It makes me wonder if they are in the market for an insurance goalie. If the Flames see Gillies as a key piece to add the scoring forward they need perhaps they do look to add a goalie?

Listening to Chris Johnston on the Fan today he said he had not heard much regarding the Flames on the rental front but did say they could be looking to make a hockey trade which is the only thing that makes sense.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trade deadline