Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2024, 09:31 AM   #5341
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iceland looking tempting this summer. We didn’t explore any of the NW portion of the island during our last trip. How much is there to see in that region? Also anything interior along the F roads for sightseeing that people otherwise avoid because of the accessibility?

We have already circumnavigated it, except for the NW section, so I think we’re good for anything that would be along that route.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 12:43 AM   #5342
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgin View Post
Can anyone who has done the Calgary to Hawaii via Vancouver connection recently chime in on how it went? We have a trip coming up and it’s been a few years since I’ve had to do that connection and I suspect it’s changed a bit post renovations at the Van airport.

Our flight from Calgary lands at 9:10, and flight to Maui leaves at 10:30. Presuming everything is on time, and assuming our luggage gets checked all the way through, I suspect we can make it but it seems tight. Last time I recall sprinting across the airport with a baby and all our baby gear and just barely making it. Kids are older now and less “stuff”, but still likely will have a car seat we are bringing on the plane for our youngest (2.5) to sit in.

Worth making a YYC express appointment for the security line at US connections? How long does it typically take to get to the connection point from a domestic WestJet arrival gate?

Anyone used the mobile passport control app offered by US Homeland to expedite preclearance? Worth using it?

Any other tips on making sure we make the connection?
In case anyone stumbles across this:

1) Our flight in from Calgary was late, per usual, so we didn’t deplane until 9:35. Not ideal. I asked if they ever do the “people with connections can get off first” and the flight attendants said no, not really anymore. Even when the connection starts boarding at 9:50.

2) The walk is about 10 mins, give or take. If you hustle, it’s a few mins faster. If you have kids who need to pee en route, a bit slower.

3) Use the MPC app and use the YVR express (if it’s available to you). They cut YVR Express off 90 mins before international flights out of E gates so if you have a short connection, you can’t use it. MPC is good though.

4) even without the appointment, it took 5 minutes to go through security and immigration/customs. Very efficient and easy.

5) After getting through by 9:50, we had time to grab snacks while they did pre-boarding.

All in all, huge praise to the Vancouver airport team on the renovations and improvements they’ve made. This was night and day compared to the last time I did it. They seem well staffed and it felt like there were a lot more of those moving walkways to speed the whole thing up.
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 06:15 AM   #5343
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgin View Post
In case anyone stumbles across this:

1) Our flight in from Calgary was late, per usual, so we didn’t deplane until 9:35. Not ideal. I asked if they ever do the “people with connections can get off first” and the flight attendants said no, not really anymore. Even when the connection starts boarding at 9:50.

2) The walk is about 10 mins, give or take. If you hustle, it’s a few mins faster. If you have kids who need to pee en route, a bit slower.

3) Use the MPC app and use the YVR express (if it’s available to you). They cut YVR Express off 90 mins before international flights out of E gates so if you have a short connection, you can’t use it. MPC is good though.

4) even without the appointment, it took 5 minutes to go through security and immigration/customs. Very efficient and easy.

5) After getting through by 9:50, we had time to grab snacks while they did pre-boarding.

All in all, huge praise to the Vancouver airport team on the renovations and improvements they’ve made. This was night and day compared to the last time I did it. They seem well staffed and it felt like there were a lot more of those moving walkways to speed the whole thing up.

Glad you made it, it’s always a lot of stress ahead of time.

I don’t think the people with connections things ever really worked in my opinion. Everyone is uo in the aisles, people have to get past each other, half the people are idiots and not listening, some are just selfish. A quick orderly deplane is your best bet, but it can be nerve wracking watching a struggler ahead of you and you have a flight,
Whynotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 12:01 PM   #5344
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone here been to Little Bighorn. Is it worth the trip for a history nut?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote