Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2020, 04:45 PM   #81
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
It should be interlocked to the furnace fan at least. My bathroom fans are all run through the HRV, do yours exhaust directly outside?
HRV in basement. Bathroom fans on 2F. I'm assuming they didn't run the ducting downwards where bathroom moisture could collect...
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:28 PM   #82
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are people's thoughts on walkout vs non in a new build?

I mean the only negatives I can think of for a walk out are

A. Cost
B. Potentially less secure vs traditional basement.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:37 PM   #83
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
What are people's thoughts on walkout vs non in a new build?

I mean the only negatives I can think of for a walk out are

A. Cost
B. Potentially less secure vs traditional basement.
I had a walk-out. Don't get one unless you have to. It sucks not having direct access to your yard without going downstairs first. And then accessing your yard from your basement totally sucks because then you need like a little mudroom or something from the door so there are places to put shoes, coats, etc. Not a fan at all, especially since you pay a premium.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 03:13 PM   #84
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I had a walk-out. Don't get one unless you have to. It sucks not having direct access to your yard without going downstairs first. And then accessing your yard from your basement totally sucks because then you need like a little mudroom or something from the door so there are places to put shoes, coats, etc. Not a fan at all, especially since you pay a premium.
This times a billion.

We have a walkout now and it's a giant pain in the ass.

Dealing with letting dogs out, kids playing (not being able to see them from, say, the kitchen is huge) and just general back yard enjoyment are better with direct access off your main floor.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 03:26 PM   #85
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
This times a billion.

We have a walkout now and it's a giant pain in the ass.

Dealing with letting dogs out, kids playing (not being able to see them from, say, the kitchen is huge) and just general back yard enjoyment are better with direct access off your main floor.
Oh yeah, and another thing is if you have a walk out, all of your neighbours probably will, too. So when you're in your backyard you feel like you're in a fishbowl. The lack of privacy is so unpleasant.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:32 PM   #86
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Walk outs are great if you don't want a basement to feel like a basement because there's way more light and whatnot. If you're never really using your basement, don't get a walk out.

The slope towards the back yard is a pain at times too.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:10 PM   #87
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Weird. My walkout has access from the basement and from the main floor (down the deck stairs).

I love the walkout, I'd never buy a place without one again. It makes the basement actually useable. It added 900 sqft to our house and gives the kids a nice place to play.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:14 PM   #88
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
Weird. My walkout has access from the basement and from the main floor (down the deck stairs).

I love the walkout, I'd never buy a place without one again. It makes the basement actually useable. It added 900 sqft to our house and gives the kids a nice place to play.
Well finishing your basement makes your basement usable regardless of whether or not it's a walkout.

Glad you like it, though. Fair perspective (obviously).
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2020, 02:04 PM   #89
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the experienced people, was given a general estimate of $50/sq ft for a basement development in a new home (by the builder).

Is that expensive, or going rate?
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:36 PM   #90
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
For the experienced people, was given a general estimate of $50/sq ft for a basement development in a new home (by the builder).

Is that expensive, or going rate?
Depends on the level of finishings and trim and what you're adding in. I paid around that price but I requested higher end finishings for the basement to match my main floor (baseboards, railings, trim, doors, hardware, hardwood flooring etc.) and a full en-suite bathroom. I also requested a ton of work like pulling extra power/cable/ethernet lines, extending ducts, extra sound insulation between utility/media room vs bedroom, additional insulation layer between hardwood and concrete etc.

This was for around 600-700 sq ft basement development in an already partially roughed in basement.

If your place is fancy and the development will match the upstairs, it seems sorta reasonable but you might be able to do better. If you're just doing a basic low frills development though, $50/sq ft does sound a little bit high.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote