Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2016, 09:36 AM   #241
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Did some poached eggs for breakfast today. 146F for 50 minutes then cracked and dropped in almost boiling water for about 40 seconds to firm up the whites. Just perfect consistency to ooze out of the yolk.
All this farenheit talk is confusing.

Have you seen the egg calculator on Chef steps? I've used it a few times, and it's pretty decent. Can pick the consistency of the white and yolk and is pretty accurate.
https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/the-egg-calculator

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 12-24-2016 at 09:48 AM.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 01:47 PM   #242
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
All this farenheit talk is confusing.

Have you seen the egg calculator on Chef steps? I've used it a few times, and it's pretty decent. Can pick the consistency of the white and yolk and is pretty accurate.
https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/the-egg-calculator
whats funny is I have no concept of how hot 146F is outside of how it relates to cooking and I couldn't tell you how done a steak should be in Celsius.

For eggs I liked the serious eats discussion on eggs talking about time and temperature.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/s...bout-eggs.html

Last edited by GGG; 12-24-2016 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Wrong link
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:14 PM   #243
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You guys are killing me. I really didn't need to spend more money this month.... but there goes 130 more dollars.

Bought.
sa226 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2016, 11:52 AM   #244
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

I just opened mine for Christmas!!

What should I try first? I'm thinking steak.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 07:10 PM   #245
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did people get the WiFi one or just the Bluetooth model? Anyone turn their cookers on when they're not even home? I figure that would be hard to manage from a food safety perspective since it's not like you can leave the food out for too long anyway?
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 07:32 PM   #246
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Did people get the WiFi one or just the Bluetooth model? Anyone turn their cookers on when they're not even home? I figure that would be hard to manage from a food safety perspective since it's not like you can leave the food out for too long anyway?

Put it in an ice bath. I don't usually start mine away, but I have adjusted it while I'm out.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:41 PM   #247
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Put it in an ice bath. I don't usually start mine away, but I have adjusted it while I'm out.
Ideally, I'd love to set everything up in the morning when I leave for work, leaving the food in an ice bath for the day (about 8-9 hours) and then start the cook remotely about 2 hours before I arrive.

Haven't checked yet, but I'm guessing there are some tried and tested ice:water amounts for time the food is expected to be left out online?
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 11:25 PM   #248
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Got my lodge cast iron pan and apron today! Also got some garlic infused olive oil and have a lot of left over bacon grease. Things are going to get real tasty in my household
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:35 AM   #249
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prarieboy View Post
I just opened mine for Christmas!!

What should I try first? I'm thinking steak.
Me too! I'm going to start out with a ribeye and then try a prime rib roast. Can't wait!!
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 06:44 AM   #250
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just want you to know that this thread has made me $200 poorer.... Should be here early January.
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:25 AM   #251
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

So in the last few days i've done steak, chicken breast (both fresh and from frozen), brussel sprouts (with bacon) and egg nog!

I didnt realize you could make drinks with this things - thats awesome. So far I find my biggest issue is proper searing, so i'll have to go back through this thread and pick up some pointers.

My wife wasnt sure about this purchase when I got it, but with a week of me cooking dinners and she doesnt have too, shes starting to come around.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:57 PM   #252
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just like above, I bought the ANOVA for my wife and she joked that it was more for me. She then got excited because it means that I will do the cooking with it. Made eggs bene this morning for 6 people. Quite good for a first try. Did at 150 degrees for almost an hour. Yolks perfect mush but whites a bit runny still. Time or temp issue?
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 01:36 PM   #253
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Just like above, I bought the ANOVA for my wife and she joked that it was more for me. She then got excited because it means that I will do the cooking with it. Made eggs bene this morning for 6 people. Quite good for a first try. Did at 150 degrees for almost an hour. Yolks perfect mush but whites a bit runny still. Time or temp issue?
Read the serious eats or chef steps on eggs on the last page.

The whites need high heat to finish. So drop them in boiling water for a minute to finish them.

My next try with eggs will be to do them at 145 for about 50 min. Take them out, then crank in to 180 and drop them in for a minute more to try to doit all in shell.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 01:38 PM   #254
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
I like mine 75C/167F for exactly 13 minutes using an extra large egg. You can push it another 30-45 seconds if you like your whites firmer but I find that is good for me.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 01:40 PM   #255
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Me too! I'm going to start out with a ribeye and then try a prime rib roast. Can't wait!!
For something as rich as a prime rib roast, the general consensus is that the reverse sear method gives you the best results.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2016, 06:48 PM   #256
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Finally got a chance to try something beside eggs with my Anova tonight by doing up a piece of salmon.

Much like Russ I've found salmon to be quite tricky in the past, black on the outside, raw/cold in the middle.

115 for 45 minutes, seared in a hot pan to finish, best salmon I've ever cooked.

Spoiler!
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2016, 08:43 PM   #257
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

A brisket for Christmas?
Why not?
Was over at keratosis's house for Christmas dinner and here is how it went.

Picked up a whole packer brisket from the butcher shop in the cryovac packaging and let it wet age for a little over 2 weeks in the fridge. Separated the brisket into the flat and the point, trimmed almost all of the fat off of the point but left 90% of the fat cap on the flat. Rubbed it with salt, pepper, garlic and a few other secret powders.

Here is how it looked ready to go.

keratosis had some wood chips pre-soaked and got the charcoal grill set up with heat on one side with the wood chips smoking away.

Here is the brisket when it first went on the smoker.

Here is 2.5 hours later

Water bath was pre-heated to 155C. I've looked at many recipes that call for lower heat but with the crappy weather I didn't get there until Xmas eve day so we only had about a day of cooking time. 155C seemed best to get all of the fat and collaten broken down.

Cut the flat in half so it would fit (should have done that first), bagged everything up into 3 large ziploc bags using the water submersion method to get the air out, it all just fit in the plastic tub.

Because the tub was so full we rotated the bags around twice just in case. In hindsight that probably wasn't necessary but I got a nice shot of the meat mid cook.

After 26 hours of cooking the meat looked nice and dark just before pulling it out.

The bags had tons of juice in them, I was a bit worried the meat might be kind of dry. We mostly filled a regular saucepan with juice to reduce down to sauce.

Here is the sauce about 1/3 reduced.

Meat was pulled out of the bags and patted dry ready to be finished on the barbeque.

Gas grill was pre-heated in order to get a nice sear on the outside. Put the meat on the grill, went back to check it after about 3-4 minutes and Disaster!!, there was so much juice running out of the meat that the barbeque was on fire with flames about 2-3' high. Managed to get the flames down and salvage the meat but it got a little charred. A couple more minutes in that inferno and it would have been totally ruined.

Meat turned out really nice, of course it was perfectly cooked throughout but was still nice and juicy.

Here is the flat, you can see the nice pink smoke ring on the fat cap. The flat meat took no effort at all to cut through, you could actually just pull it apart with your fork.

Again you can see the nice pink smoke ring. The point was ridiculous, it was dripping in juices and could be easily cut with a fork.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2016, 10:03 PM   #258
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post

Cut the flat in half so it would fit (should have done that first), bagged everything up into 3 large ziploc bags using the water submersion method to get the air out, it all just fit in the plastic tub.
What size and brand container did you get? And where did you get it from? The container looks like the perfect size. Food didn't look too bad as well.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:45 PM   #259
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've had mine for 3 weeks now and did 3 pork tenderloin roasts for 2hrs. Omg, seriously the best pork I've ever had. And now my dad is going to get one, lol. I love this thing.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:48 PM   #260
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
What size and brand container did you get? And where did you get it from? The container looks like the perfect size. Food didn't look too bad as well.
The ones listed here except I didn't bother with the rack.
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpos...0&postcount=76
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post: