Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 07-21-2020, 11:13 PM   #41
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should look at more than points. Panarin slightly edges MacKinnon for the Hart in my book, Drai doesn't play an outstanding 200 ft game, and I'm sure he's pretty sheltered when it comes to zone starts. Not to mention, 70 of his points were with McDavid. Panarin plays with less talent, and works hard all over the ice.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2020, 11:15 PM   #42
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I was told by the the voters you had to make the playoffs to win the hart. Would be comical for them to vote for a guy on the 11th placed team in the east now wouldn’t it?
Will it be any more comical for those who voted for Draisaitl when the Oilers miss the playoffs?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2020, 09:48 AM   #43
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I was told by the the voters you had to make the playoffs to win the hart. Would be comical for them to vote for a guy on the 11th placed team in the east now wouldn’t it?
How dare they vote for someone whose team is 2 points out of 6th place in the conference with 12 games left to go.

They “must” vote for the guy on the team that had 4 more points, but had also played one additional game.

The rangers and Oilers both had 37 wins this season, the Rangers have a better goal differential. Which team is better? Probably the Rangers.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:06 AM   #44
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Panarin should absolutely win. Not only did he win the 5v5 scoring title, he did it playing mostly with Ryan Strome and Jesper Fast. It really annoys me that the Hart has become a redundant clone of the Art Ross such that if you lead the league in points by more than a couple you're basically a lock. I am hoping that this season is different, because there has been a large movement for Panarin since the shutdown, and there's a chance that might have resonated enough to make a difference. I guess we'll see.

Look at the second name on that list.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:26 AM   #45
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Look at the second name on that list.
Nobody remembers second place.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:09 AM   #46
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also Panarin had something like 30 more points than Pettersson. The point is that in addition to having the Hart bona fides that are required to get you into the conversation, Panarin was good at basically everything that's required to be a difference-maker and bad at basically nothing. He could have drawn more penalties... that's about it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:37 AM   #47
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Even just based upon this season alone, if given the theoretical chance to choose only one of them, I doubt there is a single coach or GM who would truthfully pick Draisaitl over MacKinnon to play on their team. Let alone picking Draisaitl over McDavid if forced to in a similar hypothetical. The points are largely a byproduct of McDavid drawing the opposing top defenders and PP time. Draisaitl was not the "most valuable to his team" this season.

I bet even those clowns in Edmonton would admit this if they are being honest (behind closed doors of course).
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:53 AM   #48
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Also Panarin had something like 30 more points than Pettersson. The point is that in addition to having the Hart bona fides that are required to get you into the conversation, Panarin was good at basically everything that's required to be a difference-maker and bad at basically nothing. He could have drawn more penalties... that's about it.

Oh, I wasnt making a case that Pettersson should be in the conversation for Hart, don't be silly. I was just making the case that Pettersson is really good and it makes me happy.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:22 PM   #49
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

70% of his points with McDavid on the ice
Old 07-22-2020, 03:47 PM   #50
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

NM should win this as he was without a doubt most valuable to his team in every aspect possible. They never skipped a beat especially after all the Injuries they incurred.
locsofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:49 PM   #51
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Mine too. He is a top-three or -four player in the world, in my opinion, and neither one of the other nominees is even close to that.
He is number 2 just behind Macdavid but it's super close.
locsofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to locsofblu For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2020, 04:07 PM   #52
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
70% of his points with McDavid on the ice
That tends to happen with any line mate and PP partner...

What a weird thing to say !
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:38 PM   #53
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
That tends to happen with any line mate and PP partner...

What a weird thing to say !
But one of the primary premises of Draisatl's Hart Trophy case is this idea that they are no longer linemates.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 07-22-2020 at 04:41 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2020, 01:46 PM   #54
oilfanforever
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think you can probably cut numbers to suit any argument, so I just wish they would consistently apply whatever measures we use.

Since I am clearly an Oilers fan, and hope Draisitl wins, I will add that he also PK'd for the Oilers (2nd ranked PK in the league) and is the first choice PK player when Oilers are down 3-5. Say what you want about plus minus, he still contributes to the Oilers defensive game - like taking D-zone draws.

He had the highest F/O % out of the 3 at 52.1% (led the team), where Breadman was 50% and MacKinnon was a lowly 43%.

Great seasons by all of them, and all carried teams when other key people were out - especially MacKinnon.

Last edited by oilfanforever; 07-23-2020 at 02:04 PM.
oilfanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oilfanforever For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2020, 01:50 PM   #55
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Panarin should absolutely win. Not only did he win the 5v5 scoring title, he did it playing mostly with Ryan Strome and Jesper Fast. It really annoys me that the Hart has become a redundant clone of the Art Ross such that if you lead the league in points by more than a couple you're basically a lock. I am hoping that this season is different, because there has been a large movement for Panarin since the shutdown, and there's a chance that might have resonated enough to make a difference. I guess we'll see.

What this shows me is that we shouldn't be talking about the potential of offersheeting Barzal, but instead consider offersheeting Pulock.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:07 PM   #56
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfanforever View Post
I think you can probably cut numbers to suit any argument, so I just wish they would consistently apply whatever measures we use.

Since I am clearly an Oilers fan, and hope Draisitl wins, I will add that he also PK'd for the Oilers (2nd ranked PK in the league) and is the first choice PK player when Oilers are down 3-5. Say what you want about plus minus, he still contributes to the Oilers defensive game - like taking D-zone draws.

He had the highest F/O % out of the 3 at 52.1% (led the team), where Breadman was 50% and MacKinnon was a lowly 43%.

Great seasons by all of them, and all carried teams when other key people were out - especially MacKinnon.
If the crieteria is the player most valuable to his team, would you say he is more valuable to Oilers than McDavid? I don't think he is. To me that is where Draisaitl comes up short in this debate.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:11 PM   #57
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
If the crieteria is the player most valuable to his team, would you say he is more valuable to Oilers than McDavid? I don't think he is. To me that is where Draisaitl comes up short in this debate.
Do you actually think that is still the criteria?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:16 PM   #58
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mackinon could have easily won last year, I think that will contribute to his win. These things are never decided in a microcosm.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:22 PM   #59
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Draistal wins. There is Oiler hype surrounding his nomination, plus a torrid scoring pace for almost the entire season. Voters aren't going to care about his defensive numbers when you put up those kind of offensive numbers. Not saying it shouldn't be a factor, but pretty numbers get Hart votes.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:24 PM   #60
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Draisaitl May win the Pearson, but based on the media reports from bottlers, or people who have talked to voters, I don’t think Draisaitl wins Hart.