Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Travel Advice - Russia

So, I have a flight to Russia booked for the wife and I. We fly into Moscow a few days after Christmas and will stay for 16 days. We have never been there before so I was hoping to tap the CP brain trust for some suggestions. Moscow and St. Petersburg are a must but we are interested in side trips or additional locations as well as things to do/see while there. So far the standard sights in both cities are on the list as well as a trip to the Bolshoi to see the Nutcracker.

I am not against flying around to visit somewhere but don't want to spend the trip traveling.

Neither of us speak fluent Russian although we are learning and should have a beginners understanding of reading and writing before we get there.

Thanks
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
Lithium
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Russia in Winter...?
Lithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Moscow is south of Grande Prairie so it should be warmer. Right?
Old 10-13-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Your taking a wife to Russia? I think you have confused the concept.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Congrats on winning the contest Matt!
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uh, yeah, Russia in the winter WITH wife - not the wisest choices to start your trip. Brutal, brutal winters in Moscow - it's not so much the cold, but the wind and the humidity - think of Toronto, but colder. You better have a serious hat (the Russian fur hat is ideal). Incredibly expensive too when it comes to eating out. There are plenty of things to see in Moscow and St. P (the latter is a beautiful city). I'm assuming you are aware of all the usual stops (Kremlin, Tretyakovka, Hermitage, the palaces around St. P). Russian military museums are always fun. I don't know if you have enough Russian for this, but Moscow theaters are fantastic.
Don't do anything stupid. It's not safe. The cops are there to get bribes, not protect you.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #7
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

The weather doesn't concern me too much. I wanted to see everything light up for Christmas and there should be fewer tourists to keep lines down.
As for cost, some things certainly aren't cheap there, but we knew that going in.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
The weather doesn't concern me too much. I wanted to see everything light up for Christmas and there should be fewer tourists to keep lines down.
As for cost, some things certainly aren't cheap there, but we knew that going in.
It's not just the weather - it's the incredible outfits Russian women wear in the summer.
There are some ancient towns to see around Moscow. The problem is sort of a general one for Russia - islands surrounded by shart. I would hit all the museums around the Kremlin; the Kremlin itself is great too. The most interesting things in both St. P and Moscow are the art collections (Tretyakovka has incredible Russian collection, and Hermitage, of course, the international greats).
There was a really cool restaurant in Moscow called Zamok Mefisto - it's underground and done up as a crypt - the food was very good. I have no clue if it exists anymore. If your wife is open-minded, visit Night Flight.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #9
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hadn't considered the outfits. Not too sure how much luck I will have bringing my wife to Night Flight. Maybe I can sell it as a cultural experience, those are all the rave right now.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:08 PM   #10
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just trying to think what else was really interesting... the other thing you miss out on is the white nights in St. P and walking around enjoying the canals and architecture... I hope Pointman sees this thread and chimes in - I believe he is in Moscow. You could catch a hockey game. The Kirov (or whatever it's called now) ballet in St. P is considered superior to Bolshoi by many (I hate ballet). When I lived there, I was a returning Russian immigrant, so I had a different perspective and was interested in all sorts of little cultural things that probably seem irrelevant to a foreigner... Plus, I was single at the time.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:28 PM   #11
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
Moscow and St. Petersburg are a must but we are interested in side trips or additional locations as well as things to do/see while there.

I am not against flying around to visit somewhere but don't want to spend the trip traveling.

if i was you and went all that distance, i would so want to take a tour the the Chernobyl disaster - seriously. you'd definitely have to fly there (i think it's around 600km or so from Moscow), but i think it would be worth it.

someone posted a link in a different thread (funny & cool pic/video thread i think) that was to a website where a guy took a tour and posted up a ton of pictures - it looked amazing.

this isn't the same link that was posted on cp, but it gives you an idea... http://villageofjoy.com/chernobyl-to...d-in-pictures/

i was just in awe when i looked at the pictures and would love to see the real thing
Old 10-13-2011, 02:33 PM   #12
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Unfortunately, I only applied for a single entry visa to Russia. If I leave the country, they won't let me back in.
I would love to tour Chernobyl though, I think it would be crazy to see a city being retaken by nature.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:38 PM   #13
drewboy12
First Line Centre

Exp:

http://englishrussia.com/2009/11/08/...seven-wonders/

Check out that link to some of Russia's wonders... Its honestly just amazing! I can not wait to go to Russia.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #14
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not sure when Vlad was there last, but I was in Moscow this summer and can tell you that the food/restaraunt industry has improved significantly since the last time I've been there in 2001. Of course you are gonna get your share of high end places that are ridiculously expensive, but if you plan ahead, you can eat fairly cheap and good.

Being safe basically involves being smart, common sense and staying in well-lit, busy streets at night.
Moscow isn't a ghost town like Calgary after 8PM, there are always lots of people in the streets.
Be mindful where your valuables are at all times because the pickpockets are pros fo shos. Don't put your wallet in your rear jean pocket while in the metro for example.

Also, good idea is familiarize yourself with Metro map and the way it works as Metro will be your preferred transport method I presume.
http://tar.weatherson.net/files/uplo...-metro-map.png

Can't really give any advice on hotels and such as I stay with family during my time there.

When in Moscow, I recommend going to the museums inside Kremlin, like the Armoury and the Diamond Fund, as suggested Tretyakovskaya gallery is also nice. Also a small area called Kolomenskoye is really neat for its medieval feel

Too bad you're going in winter time, as the female exposure level won't be as nice as summer time
Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phaneufenstein For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #15
Flames in 07
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I can't really tell you much, the only time I was in Moscow they were building their first McDonalds. I do remember that the Winter Palace in St Petersburg was amazing, both inside and out. Probably the most impressive building I have ever seen.

Oh ya, and don't sell your Levi's to the local's ... or maybe that's an old datapoint as well!
Flames in 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:40 AM   #16
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneufenstein View Post
Not sure when Vlad was there last, but I was in Moscow this summer and can tell you that the food/restaraunt industry has improved significantly since the last time I've been there in 2001.
That's good to hear because it used to be $250US for Earl's level dinner for two. It's been 5 years for me.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #17
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hope it isn't that expensive or we may be eating at McDonalds the whole time.

From what I have read though, there are a lot of good places for under $100 a couple with drinks.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:27 AM   #18
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh yeah, the other thing is most places are deserted before 9 pm - it's definitely a night culture.

Tags
advice , russia , travel