Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 02-28-2008, 01:19 PM   #41
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragon View Post
On the contrary....
But, I digress.
I think the woman got off easy.

I'm just saying that (and I don't mean to speak ill of the dead guy or say he had it coming) it was a couple of criminals involved in criminal activity and one of them wound up dead. It was a rather grim and public way of getting killed, but it's not all that much different, in the end, than one Asian gangster whacking another one. Usually we (or most of us) shrug our shoulders and do say "at least they are killing each other..." when it happens.

This story has us all up in arms though. Just seems a little strange to me.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:59 PM   #42
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a personal interest in a murder trial in Calgary a few years ago. Probably more cut and dry than this one as the victim would be considered an upstanding citizen, good guy, no record and went to work every day, except he was native and the murderer was white. The assailant ended up spending three and half years in jail for second degree murder. Just saying.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:05 PM   #43
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I had a personal interest in a murder trial in Calgary a few years ago. Probably more cut and dry than this one as the victim would be considered an upstanding citizen, good guy, no record and went to work every day, except he was native and the murderer was white. The assailant ended up spending three and half years in jail for second degree murder. Just saying.
That would be surprising given the minimum sentence for second degree murder is life with no parole for 10 years.

We really don't know how much time this killer will serve either. i.e.: how much time she'll get double credit for for her time in remand, How her behaviour will affect things, etc, so it really isn't a good comparison.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:05 PM   #44
Ayrahb
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I wonder if Victor Gosse gets upgraded to murder from the current manslaughter and indignity to a body charge. He also fled from the law (to NFL) and he actually cut up his victim.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:11 PM   #45
Ayrahb
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
That would be surprising given the minimum sentence for second degree murder is life with no parole for 10 years.
A man named Mel Bruni was charged with second degree murder after bludgeoning his wife with a dumbbell, but was later convicted of manslaughter. Maybe tha't what happened in this case as well.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:11 PM   #46
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He was a juvenile but he was living on his own and the senselessness of the attack and the planning he did and his previous record, should have kept him up in adult court.

Last edited by Vulcan; 02-28-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:25 PM   #47
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Perhaps, but if the court coddled him for being a juvinile, that is a long way away from saying he got off easy becuase he killed a native person. The YCJA isn't exactly known for being tough on violent juvinile crime.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:50 PM   #48
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Perhaps, but if the court coddled him for being a juvinile, that is a long way away from saying he got off easy becuase he killed a native person. The YCJA isn't exactly known for being tough on violent juvinile crime.
No, it comes down to my personal opinion against yours and I was there. The reason he got to juvenile court was damn suspicious to me and than he didn't even get the maximum in juvenile court and the guy had a long record. Anyways it's reopening old wounds that have left a sour taste and a seemingly lesser incident at the same time resulted in the assailant staying in adult court.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:43 PM   #49
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bump.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...jail-1.4137958

A decade after she killed a Calgary teenager by shoving him between two C-Train cars, Natalie Pasqua, 36, is heading back to jail for brutally assaulting a woman who had to be hospitalized for more than 10 days following the attack.

After drinking together in July 2016, a group including Pasqua began driving around in the victim's car.

Pasqua repeatedly beat the woman, who was in the back seat, including punching her over and over and digging her fingers into the victim's eyes. At one point, she had another woman hold the victim down as the attack continued.

"When you are intoxicated, you are a violent menace," provincial court judge Paul Mason said to Pasqua.

Mason accepted McCluskey and Iovinelli's joint submission of 15 months in jail. With credit for time she's already spent behind bars, Pasqua has four months remaining on her sentence.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:47 PM   #50
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

A real winner.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:48 PM   #51
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

How many chances is this human reject going to get?

I don't care if she's white, black, brown, red or purple. Some people just aren't fit to be entrusted with such challenging things such as being a civil human being.

And this pisses me off:

Quote:
"You are clearly on almost what appears to be an installment plan of life in prison," said Mason. "I can only sit here and urge you with all of the passion I can exhibit to please grab on to a treatment facility.

"Good luck."
If this is the case, and how the judge feels. Why are we letting her out to inevitably victimize yet another person? She failed at life. It may or may not be her fault, but at the end of the day, she brings zero redeeming qualities, and zero contribution to society. And there looks to be zero chance of redemption.

Lock her up for the absolute maximum sentence. I'm sure 15 months isn't the maximum sentence that can be handed to a convicted killer with multiple charges, and now an assault conviction.

Some people are just so broken, there's no point in trying to fix them.

Last edited by pylon; 05-30-2017 at 12:58 PM.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 02:32 PM   #52
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Christ, 15 month sentence with credit for time served so only 4 month sentence? And that's after her joke of a 5 year sentence for killing someone.

Looks like that rehab and rehabilitate is working out real well. Can't wait to read about the next time she maims or kills someone. Maybe the judges who keep giving her such light sentences should be stripped of their judicial duties, since clearly they exhibit extremely poor judgement having this woman get off so easily, only to re-offend.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:59 PM   #53
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Christ, 15 month sentence with credit for time served so only 4 month sentence? And that's after her joke of a 5 year sentence for killing someone.

Looks like that rehab and rehabilitate is working out real well. Can't wait to read about the next time she maims or kills someone. Maybe the judges who keep giving her such light sentences should be stripped of their judicial duties, since clearly they exhibit extremely poor judgement having this woman get off so easily, only to re-offend.
It's not really their fault. They have to consider her first nations status and background. I think it's stupid as hell but that's what we've decided should happen.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:10 PM   #54
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
It's not really their fault. They have to consider her first nations status and background. I think it's stupid as hell but that's what we've decided should happen.
And with all that a good number of people will still say she's a victim of systemic racism.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:20 PM   #55
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The woman is a ####ing menace to society. I've seen her before this incident occur randomly attacking other native chicks at the train station. We had to pull her off one girl who was bleeding and of course we all get sent off the train because the cops said we don't know what is in her blood.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:46 PM   #56
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Edit: NVM!

Last edited by Since1984; 05-30-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:24 PM   #57
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Doesn't Canada have a dangerousness offender law or something similar to the 3 strikes law? That would keep the criminal in jail for life.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:45 PM   #58
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I knew of the perpetrator back in the day. Not at all surprised about this, as she has been in and out of jail on a routine basis her whole life. The fact that her mother blames it on racism, rather than looking into the mirror, and asking "where do I go wrong?" is very telling.
ToewsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:56 PM   #59
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

As an able bodied white male, I apologize to her mom for my part in this
Old 05-30-2017, 06:05 PM   #60
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post

I've noticed the courts tend to be a wee bit too sympathetic for substance abusers that happen to be habitual re-offenders. I am far from perfect, and was in trouble at one point (non-violent) in my life. Instead of blaming it on an issue I had with alcohol, I considered it a warning, and successfully completed rehab. Now I try to avoid using any mind-altering substance, since I know the determental effects it has on me. Unfortunately, while the majority of people in treatment are good people trying to get to the bottom of their problems, to better themselves, there are always a few people who are unwilling to change, don't care, and are going back to their previous lifestyle once they are discharged. I met a couple of people that had FIVE DUI's! I can understand one....maybe even two (even that is stretching it). But five DUI's???

Sometimes if people like this are not going to change, we have to consider what is in the best interest of the community in general. I am all for giving people a second chance if they mess up. However, when do we draw the line. At chance #11 or 12, there is not much hope of reforming a person.
ToewsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToewsFan For This Useful Post: