Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2018, 08:55 AM   #1021
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am not a fan of Mandel, nor do I think they have the bench strength to govern outright... but because there is no party whip and its MLAs are encouraged to act in a way that is aligned with their constituents, and that they're attracting some decent quality candidates in both the cities and rural ridings, I will be voting for the Alberta Party.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SeeGeeWhy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2018, 09:19 AM   #1022
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I still can't believe Kenney was selected as UCP leader.

Like, my god, the Province voted you idiots out of power to send a message. And so you come back to the table to try and regain power with... Jason... Kenney? A dog with a blue tie would be a better nominee.

How hard is this to figure out? Get a centrist and it's an auto win. I'm not even a political strategist but I feel like most elections don't come this easy. And yet here they are, they still might #### it up because Notley now is pivoting to center and (rightfully) calling Kenney out for what he is. Crazy.
Yes 'third place' Ed Stelmach and public union supported Alison Redford, both centrist leaders, were unquestionably great for Alberta.

Kenney has some warts, but is a true fiscal conservative and smart enough to stay away from social issues.

He's going to wipe the floor with the NDP and their economic destruction.
crazy_eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:30 AM   #1023
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_eoj View Post
Yes 'third place' Ed Stelmach and public union supported Alison Redford, both centrist leaders, were unquestionably great for Alberta.

Kenney has some warts, but is a true fiscal conservative and smart enough to stay away from social issues.

He's going to wipe the floor with the NDP and their economic destruction.
Can you cite some true fiscal conservative policies Kenney has had a hand in platforming?

I don't think a minister of immigration really guides much fiscal policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:35 AM   #1024
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree with this statement. He is continually running into questions about his support for the LGBTQ community and their rights, and that's not even mentioning the rest of his motley crew with what seems like endless debacles of social and behavioral warts. Putting your head in the sand is not "staying away", it's hiding.

For some people, being incapable of throwing full support behind the LGBTQ community and their rights when it seems like such an easy win just seems ridiculous in this day and age and is an absolutely non-starter for me to vote for a guy like that and what that brand represents.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:55 AM   #1025
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I still can't believe Kenney was selected as UCP leader.

Like, my god, the Province voted you idiots out of power to send a message. And so you come back to the table to try and regain power with... Jason... Kenney? A dog with a blue tie would be a better nominee.

How hard is this to figure out? Get a centrist and it's an auto win. I'm not even a political strategist but I feel like most elections don't come this easy. And yet here they are, they still might #### it up because Notley now is pivoting to center and (rightfully) calling Kenney out for what he is. Crazy.
Alberta was angry last time and did something extreme, and regretted it. Now they are angry again and will do something extreme...

That said, we are in unusual times. The anger level is at a point where people rightfully want blood. Not only has the federal gov't messed this whole pipeline up, but they seeming can't figure out how to show that they actually understand or care about Alberta.

I think Albertan's have dumped social issues out the window. They want a firebrand. As long as Kenney doesn't promote hate, Albertans will live with his shortcomings if it means sticking Justin in the eye at every turn.

Its sad it has got to this point, but it is what it is and am not judging anyone for voting Kenney.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:03 AM   #1026
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Can you cite some true fiscal conservative policies Kenney has had a hand in platforming?

I don't think a minister of immigration really guides much fiscal policy.
Kenney is routinely cited as one of, if not the, most capable members of Stephen Harpers cabinet. If you didn't hear of his strong influence on much of their policy at the time, I'm not sure you were really paying attention.

Kenney describes himself as a Burkean Incrementalist, which along make him an attractive option for any conservative.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:08 AM   #1027
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I tend to think that most Albertan's that we talk to want someone that's going to go hard after the federal Government in terms of heavy option steps if this pipeline stuff continues to drag.

I think the perception is that Rachel was too soft and accommodating for two long on the file, and then when she did talk about putative steps

Turning off shipments or limiting shipments to BC
Not supporting the Federal Climate Plan
The wine ban etc.

She talked a good game but didn't do much to follow through.

Right now Albertan's are seething, the Federal Liberals not putting Alberta Oil on the agenda for the First Ministers meeting was a tactical mistake by the Feds, it makes them look insincere and uncaring after Trudeau came out last week and called this a crisis.

I think what the electorate wants is someone more strident, I don't know if that's the right word. But Notley is lacking credibility in that area with the lack of execution above, and doing things like not putting a Carbon Tax in her platform in the last election.

Albertan's will probably elect Kenney because they're saavy enough to know that Eastern Canada is going to put Trudeau in power for 4 more years and they want harder action.

Just my two cents.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2018, 10:12 AM   #1028
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post

I think Albertan's have dumped social issues out the window. They want a firebrand. As long as Kenney doesn't promote hate, Albertans will live with his shortcomings if it means sticking Justin in the eye at every turn.
Where have I seen this storyline before

Two-face Justin would also fit in nicely to this plot line.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:16 AM   #1029
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Kenney describes himself as a Burkean Incrementalist, which along make him an attractive option for any conservative.
I expect this means we will have our most Truculent government so far. I, for one, look forward to it.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2018, 10:21 AM   #1030
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Kenney is routinely cited as one of, if not the, most capable members of Stephen Harpers cabinet. If you didn't hear of his strong influence on much of their policy at the time, I'm not sure you were really paying attention.

That’s all well and good, but CAN you actually name a true fiscal conservative policy he had a hand in?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:28 AM   #1031
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
That’s all well and good, but CAN you actually name a true fiscal conservative policy he had a hand in?
It speaks volumes when Harper chooses Joe Oliver over Kenney as Finance Minister.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:29 AM   #1032
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So, no citations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:46 AM   #1033
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
It's no different that the Dippers trying to downplay their previous anti oil and pipeline stance before they got into power. They know the opposition party will distort the truth and use it to their advantage.
I don’t know Dion, I think there’s a prettt big difference between downplaying environmentalism and downplaying bigotry. Also I don’t think very many albertans are currently questioning Notley’s stance on pipelines.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:56 AM   #1034
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't understand what any of these posts are about. Kenney was instrumental in forming much of the CPC platform, there's no reason to type it all out.

Regardless, what's the point? You guys think Kenney is actually a fiscal liberal?

Scrapping the no social-licence carbon tax will be a great first step.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:04 AM   #1035
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't understand what any of these posts are about. Kenney was instrumental in forming much of the CPC platform, there's no reason to type it all out.

Regardless, what's the point? You guys think Kenney is actually a fiscal liberal?

and then putting in a PST!
Old 12-05-2018, 11:05 AM   #1036
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://www.canada.ca/en/environment...twillwork.html

Scrap the Alberta Carbon Tax and we get a Federal one with less control of, no?
Quote:
Proposed federal carbon pricing option
The Government of Canada is proposing a federal carbon pricing option that will only apply in provinces that do not have a system of their own that meets the above criteria. This federal option is composed of two elements:

A levy on fossil fuels that will increase annually.
Measures to price pollution from industry. This sets limits on pollution, and will ensure that the more an industrial facility pollutes above its limit, the more it will pay. The more a facility reduces its emissions below the limit, the more it can earn by selling credits to less efficient competitors.
This system will put a price on pollution and encourage companies to innovate in order to reduce their emissions.

The cost to households and businesses will differ based on their energy sources and energy consumption.

The carbon cost will reflect the GHG emission footprint of each fuel type--for example, a $10 per tonne carbon price is approximately 2.3 cents per litre of gasoline, 2.7 cents per litre of diesel, and 1.5 cents per litre of propane.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:08 AM   #1037
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

You called him a “true fiscal conservative,” so with that should come some evidence from his political career thus far, right? Or else, what makes him different than many of the other PC leaders who have had a bit of a spending problem.

No one is asking you to write out the entire CPC platform, but can you name even one fiscal conservative policy Kenney had a direct hand in forming during his time with Harper? Just one, that’s all.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:12 AM   #1038
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
https://www.canada.ca/en/environment...twillwork.html

Scrap the Alberta Carbon Tax and we get a Federal one with less control of, no?
Haha! They're going to have a good luck with that.

"Scrap the Alberta Carbon Tax and get a Federal one with less control?" Except the Federal one would just be doing the same thing as the Provincial one and if nothing else let those idiots swallow the Admin costs.

The Feds arent imposing anything, they're just puffing their chests out because too many Provinces are revolting against their stupid plan because Carbon taxes are patently absurd.

Let Ottawa worry about nailing their Paris Accord numbers, the rest of us have actual lives to live.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2018, 11:19 AM   #1039
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
and then putting in a PST!
That would be part of the prudent solution to our problem. Still think we all need to look in the mirror so to speak.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:24 AM   #1040
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Haha! They're going to have a good luck with that.

"Scrap the Alberta Carbon Tax and get a Federal one with less control?" Except the Federal one would just be doing the same thing as the Provincial one and if nothing else let those idiots swallow the Admin costs. .
Okay, so the great first step will be that....there is no change.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote