Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2018, 03:32 PM   #81
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m in favour of a higher minimum wage. I don’t know if $15 is the right number, but I strongly feel that the escalation has been too fast, especially given the downturn. Maybe the first two were ok for catch up, but the next step should have been delayed and the $15 step put off even further.

My approach is no more scientific but it seems common sense to me that rapidly increasing wages in a short period of time must have an adverse affect on a business at least for a while.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:44 PM   #82
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Why don’t greedy companies pay their employees higher salaries?

Oped piece for information puroposes

https://www.millennialstar.org/why-d...gher-salaries/
Information purposes? This has to be the worst article for information I've read on the subject. "Why don't owners pay more?" "They don't want to, it might be bad for them." Cool story bro. If you're going to bring up an argument for what the market will bear," provide some proof that $7.25 is that number and not some other, higher, number.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:45 PM   #83
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm to the point that if your business is only viable because you're able to pay the equivalent of a full-time employee $14,000 a year, then your business sucks. Tough luck. Some other company will come along to replace you.

Also, last post obviously aimed at the article writer and not Dion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2018, 03:48 PM   #84
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I would think that the balance point is that the expectation of minimum wage workers is going to increase.

If a business owner is going to pay a higher wage there's going to be a higher expectation. He's not going to hire one or two floor sweepers at lets say $15.00 an hour when he can hire one who's either a well trained floor sweeper or has the ability to get the job done faster for $25.00.

The biggest mistake was not putting an age limit on minimum wage, I don't know if that's the right term to use. Why hire a student with no experience and give him that experience when he can probably go out and try to find someone with experience who you can lay a higher expectation and work load on?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:49 PM   #85
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder how many small businesses in Alberta pay minimum wage in comparison to large corporations.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:52 PM   #86
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
I’m in favour of a higher minimum wage. I don’t know if $15 is the right number, but I strongly feel that the escalation has been too fast, especially given the downturn. Maybe the first two were ok for catch up, but the next step should have been delayed and the $15 step put off even further.
I think a better assessment of the number would have been good. I think a better solution to the tipped vs not tipped workers needed to be addressed. A server making $15/hour and then getting tipped and not declaring all of it on taxes just simply isn't the same as a any other non-tipped worker. But I think the increase overall was a lot better than not increasing it substantially.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:54 PM   #87
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Tipped servers and youth workers still living at home and going to school were too areas for example that should have been treated differently.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:58 PM   #88
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The biggest mistake was not putting an age limit on minimum wage, I don't know if that's the right term to use. Why hire a student with no experience and give him that experience when he can probably go out and try to find someone with experience who you can lay a higher expectation and work load on?
Yeah, Ontario has a structure where students and liquor servers are paid below the minimum wage for the rest of the province. Which makes sense, it's also not substantial but maybe enough to make a difference.

UK has a minimum wage age bracket (under 18, 18-20, 21-24) and account for apprentices. So students under 18 and apprentices have a minumum wage of about half of those over 25.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:04 PM   #89
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

While I have never been a fan of any minimum wage I do understand the need for it from a political perspective.

What really bugs me is that its always some arbitrary number (ie $15/hr). If a minimum wage is going to be implemented it should be tied to some sort of cost of living metric and automatically updated on set intervals based on that metric and not just a nice round number that is great for picket boards and campaign slogans.

But alas politics....
Old 08-16-2018, 04:06 PM   #90
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

But still, the equivalent of a typical salaried full-time employee and a waged earner making $13.60 an hour (so 5 days a week, 8 hours a day, 2 weeks of vacation) is $27,200. For a "full-time employee" defined by Stats Canada as someone working 30 hours a week, you're looking at ~$20,000.

This was even less under the old holiday pay requirements.

People complaining about minimum wage earners making too much...
Old 08-16-2018, 04:07 PM   #91
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacopuck View Post
While I have never been a fan of any minimum wage I do understand the need for it from a political perspective.

What really bugs me is that its always some arbitrary number (ie $15/hr). If a minimum wage is going to be implemented it should be tied to some sort of cost of living metric and automatically updated on set intervals based on that metric and not just a nice round number that is great for picket boards and campaign slogans.

But alas politics....
So $18.15? That's the living wage in Calgary. Imagine the blow-back from all the greedy people who don't want to pay $13...

http://livingwagecanada.ca/files/271...ief_062117.pdf
Old 08-16-2018, 04:13 PM   #92
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I wonder how many small businesses in Alberta pay minimum wage in comparison to large corporations.
That would be an interesting number to see. Anecdotally I feel that most small businesses that are not in the food service industry generally pay more than minimum wage, or at least I think that may have been true at $10.20. At $13.60 I would say a lot more businesses are now doing it.

I can see the greed point when looking at cashiers for Wal-Mart, but I think it is less greed and more simple viability for Joe's Diner. Another reason the minimum wage is just a blunt instrument to accomplish anything.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:18 PM   #93
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
So $18.15? That's the living wage in Calgary. Imagine the blow-back from all the greedy people who don't want to pay $13...

http://livingwagecanada.ca/files/271...ief_062117.pdf
The metric and formula would be key in determining the $. A government set one should have non-partisan support (difficult I know).

A number put together by some advocacy group is hardly an indicator of where it should be as they can skew the formula. The methodology is one based from Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives which is a left leaning organization.

Example that # is based on a family of 4, including one that is child that is not in school (Age 3 ie needing daycare). It also has a weird line item as parent education of ~$90/month... wtf is that (What school / job training charges this?).

Why should the government rate be based on such a specific scenario?
Old 08-16-2018, 04:22 PM   #94
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

And also, 70% of minimum wage earners are over 20. 50% are full-time. 60% have worked at their business for more than a year. 70% are non-student. 75% are high school graduates.

So the idea that minimum wage is intended for the high-school student working part-time at his first job at McDonald's isn't reality. Maybe they should have accounted for that, but that is very much the minority of minimum wage earners.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2018, 04:26 PM   #95
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It also has a weird line item as parent education of ~$90/month... wtf is that (What school / job training charges this?).
Detractors: Minimum wage should be for non-skilled employees used as a stepping stone while they are educated and trained for other jobs.

Also detractors: How dare they budget for training and education to get out of their low-earning jobs!
Old 08-16-2018, 04:36 PM   #96
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Detractors: Minimum wage should be for non-skilled employees used as a stepping stone while they are educated and trained for other jobs.

Also detractors: How dare they budget for training and education to get out of their low-earning jobs!
No I'm just merely pointing out this is obviously for a very specific scenario. They also have like ~$250/month for ... furnishings?

I cant imagine many job training / school that charges ~$1000/yr is getting you a job that is going to pay $50k+... If they wanted to be truly honest that cost should be much higher.

Im just pointing out that this particular study seems like an arbitrary set of "costs" put together to show that the min wages needs to be MUCH higher, and not indicative of true individual budgets.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:37 PM   #97
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

$1000 a year? Let's say ESL to start.

But again, as it's a livable wage it uses extremely modest numbers for the rest of the non-essential budgets. If it put up the $5000 required for some other training course and the living wage jumped up to $20, you'd have people argue that it was, once again, inflated.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:40 PM   #98
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
$1000 a year? Let's say ESL to start.

But again, as it's a livable wage it uses extremely modest numbers for the rest of the non-essential budgets. If it put up the $5000 required for some other training course and the living wage jumped up to $20, you'd have people argue that it was, once again, inflated.
Well then I'd argue doing the training before you have 2 kids? I mean having children is a choice after all.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:42 PM   #99
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Well then I'd argue doing the training before you have 2 kids? I mean having children is a choice after all.
Everything is a choice.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:44 PM   #100
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh, so they should have made proper choices throughout their life to avoid being in poverty.

And if they didn't? Tough ####. Gotcha.