Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-28-2018, 08:02 PM   #441
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Sure if you really think that they have have changed their beliefs. I would bet money that if we weren't coming into an election that Notley wouldn't be going out of her way to counter the garbage that Berman is spewing. Berman never should have been appointed to that comittee, it was ridiculous and Notley defended it. This isn't exactly a long time ago either, it was last year.
I agree and disagree. I think leaving it as subjective as “if you really think they’ve changed their beliefs” leaves enough room that partisanship can simply take over and decide for you. I think we either take politicians at face value, or we don’t, but we do it consistently no matter which side they play for.

Was having Berman on that committee a good idea? No. Was having a variety of perspectives on that committee a good idea? Absolutely. For that reason, I don’t really see any reason to look at this turn of events as suspect. I don’t see Notley’s stance now at all contradictory to her reasoning for why Berman belonged on the committee. Do you?
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:28 PM   #442
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Same ATA #%&$ers that invited David Suzuki to Calgary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Amazing how staring the prospect of your dethroning changes one's tune.

Berman is a nutcase and despite Notley appointing her that nutcase is coming back to bite her in the ass.

As they say, live by the sword, die by the sword.
Speaking of which . . .

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...ys-suzuki.html

David Suzuki has doubled down on his criticism of Environment Minister Catherine McKenna, saying she’s being a hypocrite when she says she’s committed to the Paris accord and the Trudeau government is “going full bore.”

The prominent environmentalist repeated the call for McKenna to quit Friday in Moncton, N.B., while helping to campaign for the Green Party in next week’s provincial election.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:07 AM   #443
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Was having Berman on that committee a good idea? No. Was having a variety of perspectives on that committee a good idea? Absolutely. For that reason, I don’t really see any reason to look at this turn of events as suspect. I don’t see Notley’s stance now at all contradictory to her reasoning for why Berman belonged on the committee. Do you?
So when she was being paid by the taxpayers to oppose the oilsands on the advisory committee that was "variety of perspectives" and a good thing but a year later when she is speaking at a teachers convention we need to "counter misinformation"?
Okee dokee

Last edited by Jacks; 09-29-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #444
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
So when she was being paid by the taxpayers to oppose the oilsands on the advisory committee that was "variety of perspectives" and a good thing but a year later when she is speaking at a teachers convention we need to "counter misinformation"?
Okee dokee
Well yeah. Again, she wasn’t the right person to bring that “variety of perspective” as I said, but it’s important to have. Just like it’s important not to have her be the sole perspective at the ATA regarding the oilsands. You need, again, a variety of perspectives to get the whole picture.

Do you know what the point of the committee was?
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2018, 02:23 PM   #445
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Did I say or quote that statement?

Assuming the government would not have delayed their contributions due to a lack of revenue. Having a revenue stream available avoids getting into debt to pay for it, that’s a good thing isn’t it? I get a kick out of your argument that saying the carbon tax is paying for it is wrong while also stating that without a carbon tax “other taxation” would pay for it. If the city were to implement an arena tax on certain services to help pay for a new building would you not consider that money to be going towards a new building because it simply becomes revenue?

From the article I linked earlier:

Even the opposition is “spinning” it that way.
Post 427 you quoted that statement to support your assertion we got the green line from the Carbon tax?????

I agree (and stated in my post)that the opposition screws this up as well when they talk of canceling the Carbon tax without discussing cuts that need to be made when reducing government revenues. And note that these cuts could be from the light bulb changing program or health care or education or roads or absorbed with debt.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
V
Old 10-01-2018, 02:50 PM   #446
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Employers call for 'youth differential' as Alberta's minimum wage hits $15 an hour

Quote:
When the Alberta government announced in June 2016 its intention to move toward a $15 an hour minimum wage, it issued a news release containing quotes from James Boettcher.

Boettcher, the CEO of Calgary’s Fiasco Gelato, was held up by the government as an example of a business owner in favour of a “fair living wage” — someone who believed it is possible to pay employees enough to get by on, while still operating a successful business.
Quote:
However, he’s no poster boy for the Notley government’s minimum wage policy. In fact, even at the time his name was being printed on that news release, Boettcher had serious concerns about the NDP’s $15 an hour plan, which comes into force Monday. Those concerns have only deepened in recent months, to the point that Boettcher is now calling on the government to admit its minimum wage policy is “broken.”

“I think the government is trying to do the right thing, but they’ve missed the mark,” he said. “I’d like to see them admit they’ve made a mistake.”

Boettcher, whose company has been ranked among Canada’s fastest-growing companies for the past several years, doesn’t have a problem with a $15 minimum wage for adults who need to support themselves. In fact, he would like to see that minimum raised closer to $18, which is considered a “living wage” and is about where he starts his own adult employees.

What he can’t understand is why he must pay his teen employees — most of whom have no previous work experience and still live with their parents — the same rate. He said he believes employers who are forced to pay $15 an hour to “kids” will simply choose not to hire them, robbing young people of precious work experience in the process.

“It’s going to be very hard for an employer, even one like me who wants to provide opportunity to young people,” he said. “You get a stat holiday and all of a sudden you’re paying a kid — who’s living at home and is just saving money for a new bicycle or a family trip to Hawaii — $23, $24 an hour.”

https://calgaryherald.com/business/l...ss/__trashed-6
Old 10-01-2018, 06:42 PM   #447
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was at the AUMA conference last week where Municipal Affairs Minister Shaye Anderson said there will be NO minimum wage differential for youth. No chance.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:44 PM   #448
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I was at the AUMA conference last week where Municipal Affairs Minister Shaye Anderson said there will be NO minimum wage differential for youth. No chance.
So....they're completely opposed to common sense? Nothing new there.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:05 PM   #449
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
So....they're completely opposed to common sense? Nothing new there.
Minimum wage differential is bad. It creates market distortions. It also arbitrarily assumes that all kids are in the same situation. If a kid is helping his family pay rent should t he get the full wage. I read or maybe heard somewhere that middle and upper class youth employment has cratered relative to lower income youth employment. In this scenario decreasing youth minimum wage doesn’t really help.

Instead lower minimum wage in general and increase taxation to support low income people who need it. Make us more competitive and producing stuff and tax those that benefit and profit from lower costs.

For example subsidizing rents by $160 per month would reduce the required living wage by $1 per hour. This could be then targeted at lower income people and paid for by increased taxation.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2018, 09:06 PM   #450
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was a manager of any store or business I would hire adults over teenagers all day every day if the pay is the same. Adult that needs the job to pay the bills is likely going to show up every day on a timely manner and treat the job seriously. It's a coin flip with teenagers what you are going to get.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 01:09 AM   #451
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Raising the minimum wage is not enough and on it's own does little to cure poverty

Quote:
Calgary Food Bank CEO James McAra said previous minimum wage hikes in Alberta have not done anything to reduce food bank usage in Calgary, in part because the minimum wage still remains too low to lift people out of poverty. He said while he believes the NDP government’s minimum wage policy has started a “good conversation” around the issue of poverty, he said there are other issues that need to be addressed — such as access to prescription drugs and dental care, and the availability of transit, services and schools in neighbourhoods where housing is affordable.

“Changing wages has not demonstrated a change in demand at our food bank, because there are so many other factors that go into it,” McAra said. “Poverty is incredibly complex, and no one brute-force tool is going to suddenly end poverty.”
https://calgaryherald.com/business/l...-advocates-say
Old 10-02-2018, 10:02 AM   #452
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...nada-1.4845831

It's kind of enraging watching the press conference.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:17 AM   #453
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duruss View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...nada-1.4845831

It's kind of enraging watching the press conference.
Never an environmental protester around when you need them.

Weird huh?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:28 AM   #454
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hmm, lot of jobs in Calgary for this one. Why the negative view? Could be some tax returns for you Locke....
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:59 AM   #455
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

If $15 is still not enough to lift those out of poverty, why don't we just raise it to the level that is? You see, Corporations are all corporationy....and they make money. This would just mean they make a little less.
/s
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 01:23 PM   #456
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'd love to see the Greens not support it and disolve their marriage of convenience

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 01:30 PM   #457
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'd love to see the Greens not support it and disolve their marriage of convenience
That seems quite likely apparently, although the BC Liberals will vote in favour and get this project going. I hope it's built and gets going as this is a bit of optimism in the energy sector.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:01 PM   #458
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Breakenridge: NDP intentions on 'affordability' contradict reality

Quote:
The NDP has, for example, mused about somehow making gasoline prices — which are 30 to 40 cents per litre higher than a year ago at this time — more “affordable.” It’s unclear exactly how they would do so, and any sort of market intervention might create more problems than it solves. But none of it erases the very awkward fact that the NDP’s own carbon levy very intentionally made the price of gasoline more expensive.
Quote:
While some might only see a tenuous connection, to the NDP it’s rather straightforward: “Based on a 40-hour week, someone making the increased minimum wage will earn $2,912 more per year.” And, yes, a pay raise can make it easier to afford things — assuming that nothing else changes, that is.

When it comes to minimum wage, things are never that simple.

To put the NDP’s words another way, as of Oct. 1 many Alberta employers now face nearly $3,000 in new costs per employee. Where is that money expected to come from? Even if we ignore all of the warnings about potential job losses and cutbacks to hours of work, minimum wage defenders would be hard-pressed to deny the likelihood of a price increase.

If a government policy results in an increase in the costs of goods and services, then in what way is it making life more affordable? For those fortunate enough to keep their jobs and hours intact, any gains in earnings may be largely erased through higher prices.

For those who live in poverty but do not earn minimum wage, the policy could turn out to be even more regressive. “Regressive” was the word used in a 2015 study out of Stanford University which concluded that minimum wage increases produce a “value-added tax effect on consumer prices that is more regressive than a typical state sales tax.”
https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/co...radict-reality
Old 10-02-2018, 02:47 PM   #459
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Quote:
To put the NDP’s words another way, as of Oct. 1 many Alberta employers now face nearly $3,000 in new costs per employee. Where is that money expected to come from?
It’s a pretty big stretch to suggest that all minimum wage earners work full time
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:52 PM   #460
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
It’s a pretty big stretch to suggest that all minimum wage earners work full time
The majority of them do.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...iles-1.4740923

Quote:
Seven out of 10 Albertans in these types of living situations worked full time at their minimum-wage jobs last year, according to the data. On average, they were just under 40 years old. Two-thirds were women. Roughly half were immigrants.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote