Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-03-2018, 10:13 AM   #81
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha! That's great. Mom totally sunk his ship.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:36 AM   #82
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
We have an opening for an entry level field position. We typically hire High School grads who stay for a few years and go to school to advance if they like the work.

Just interviewed a candidate looking for his first job out of high school. He was nervous and pulled out his phone in the middle of the interview to review some notes that his Mom sent him and then asked a few more questions about the job. After two or three questions he asked the interviewer where he bought his candles and if he was interested in looking at the candles that his Mom sells. At the end of the interview he asked if he could have a business card so that his mom could follow up about candle sales.

It was the most shocking thing I have ever heard from an interview candidate before and I have interviewed a decent amount of people.
My advice would be not to try to sell MLM crap in an interview. Unless that actually is his job and he tricked us into listening to a sales pitch. In which case, I think he may have found an untapped market and he helps out all the other candidates by making them look better.
Wow, you should post that in r/antiMLM
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2018, 11:37 AM   #83
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
Wow, you should post that in r/antiMLM
I will at some point. But have to wait long enough so that no one here sees it and links my accounts.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:06 PM   #84
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Overhauled my cover letter and touched up a few weak spots on the resume. Although it's only been 10 days since the first of the new batch went out, I have already received more responses than I have in months, and even have an interview scheduled on Tuesday. So thank you again to everyone contributing to this thread and being open with advice!

QUESTION: What are some smart or useful questions to ask employers in an interview? If you were interviewing candidates for a job, what would you want to hear them ask of you when it came that time in the process?
First off make sure you've researched the company and can ask some relevant questions about opportunities or challenges they face.

Here's my power move...

As most HR reps will want to ask you a few behavioral questions, make sure to turn the tables and ask one back.

Ask the hiring manager, if present, something like:

Quote:
Tell me about a time when you and a subordinate submitted a project that you were really proud of for approval to your superior but weren't initially given the green light.
The example likely isn't perfect, but should give you a bit of an idea what direction to go.

~P^2
firebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:46 PM   #85
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
We have an opening for an entry level field position. We typically hire High School grads who stay for a few years and go to school to advance if they like the work.

Just interviewed a candidate looking for his first job out of high school. He was nervous and pulled out his phone in the middle of the interview to review some notes that his Mom sent him and then asked a few more questions about the job. After two or three questions he asked the interviewer where he bought his candles and if he was interested in looking at the candles that his Mom sells. At the end of the interview he asked if he could have a business card so that his mom could follow up about candle sales.

It was the most shocking thing I have ever heard from an interview candidate before and I have interviewed a decent amount of people.
My advice would be not to try to sell MLM crap in an interview. Unless that actually is his job and he tricked us into listening to a sales pitch. In which case, I think he may have found an untapped market and he helps out all the other candidates by making them look better.
He doesn't want your entry level position - he has candles to sell!
Amethyst is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2018, 04:21 PM   #86
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Overhauled my cover letter and touched up a few weak spots on the resume. Although it's only been 10 days since the first of the new batch went out, I have already received more responses than I have in months, and even have an interview scheduled on Tuesday. So thank you again to everyone contributing to this thread and being open with advice!

QUESTION: What are some smart or useful questions to ask employers in an interview? If you were interviewing candidates for a job, what would you want to hear them ask of you when it came that time in the process?

I always ask about the availability of on-going training. I'm not sure how different it is in other fields, but in IT having your company invested in employee training is critical. If I hear a vague answer like "We are invested in all of our employees and work with them individually on their career goals" it throws a red flag. Whereas with the role I just started at a new company 2 months ago, in the interview my now-boss said "Our company will pay for 1-2 training courses for each employee per year based on the budget" and then listed some of the courses he took in the last few years. That told me they were actually serious about training and set specific rules up front (and I was sent on a full week Palo Alto training course within a month of starting the job)
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:47 PM   #87
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have heard that it is good to ask questions that make the employer picturing you as an employee. Things like:
What is the team like that I would be working with?
When I start, what are the first things you want me to take care of?
Are there any specific projects coming up that I will have the opportunity to be a part of?
Ha, these are usually my go tos. I also like to ask what kind of culture they have or strive for, and how my role contributes to such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebug View Post
First off make sure you've researched the company and can ask some relevant questions about opportunities or challenges they face.

Here's my power move...

As most HR reps will want to ask you a few behavioral questions, make sure to turn the tables and ask one back.

Ask the hiring manager, if present, something like:

The example likely isn't perfect, but should give you a bit of an idea what direction to go.
Interesting, but that seems awful risky. I would expect that's a pretty expressive tactic with senior positions and those with deep experience and a strong list of qualifications.

As an entry level person, I probably won't challenge them too much for now, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I always ask about the availability of on-going training. I'm not sure how different it is in other fields, but in IT having your company invested in employee training is critical. If I hear a vague answer like "We are invested in all of our employees and work with them individually on their career goals" it throws a red flag. Whereas with the role I just started at a new company 2 months ago, in the interview my now-boss said "Our company will pay for 1-2 training courses for each employee per year based on the budget" and then listed some of the courses he took in the last few years. That told me they were actually serious about training and set specific rules up front (and I was sent on a full week Palo Alto training course within a month of starting the job)
Another of my go tos. I definitely like to know if they are looking to grow their employees through specific PD opportunities or structures. Indicates upward mobility and that they value the assets they have.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:49 PM   #88
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Good luck!

I'm no expert but there are lots of different interviewing styles/methods that can depend on the industry and even the employer (i.e. the catchphrase way back when was BDI or behavioral descriptive interviews)... a common question is to give an example of when you demonstrated "x".

Related question: is it appropriate to send out a courtesy thank you email after the interview? I used to do this but that was awhile ago so I was curious if it was common practice...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:30 PM   #89
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Related question: is it appropriate to send out a courtesy thank you email after the interview? I used to do this but that was awhile ago so I was curious if it was common practice...
I still sent out a thank you email a few hours after the interview.

But here is my question: in 100% of interviews the interviewer says "Call me John/Jane, nice to meet you...... etc".

So when writing the thank you note do you still start with: Dear Mr./Ms. Smith????

Hi John/Jane sounds very informaand too familiar l but that's how all emails start, right?
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:08 AM   #90
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simanium View Post
Just out of curiosity, for those of you in hiring, most job postings request your application to be submitted online. If a candidate shows up in person and drops off his application, is there any stock, positive or negative, in doing this? I could see it being taken either way, some people may take it negatively as the candidate is failing to follow the directions of the job posting, while others take it positively in that they are showing a little more initiative in actually going to the effort to hand deliver their application.
Sorry, the following is a lot of info and probably in excess of what you want to know. I really don't know why I felt compelled to type this all out.

I interact with many HR professionals on an occasional basis ranging from recruiters to team leads and even HR for HR managers due to my wife holding an HR role. I do occasional practice interviews/resume editing with interns/students/new immigrants through friends and a not for profit I interact with who on occasion asks for help in helping the new immigrants. I am also involved with interviewing interns at my company. Many of these candidates unknowingly to eliminate themselves as candidates, but find new hope when they realize they can do certain things to improve their chances.

In general, I would not suggest dropping off applications in person. Based on my conversations with some people in recruiting, I guess the way to look at it is this way:

If someone asks you to do something in a specific way, and you do it in a different way, it somewhat shows that you don't fully follow instructions which isn't necessarily desired. It's one thing to show you can do things well in more than one way, which means that you won't easily get stuck and spin your wheels if you run into a problem, but it's another when you do things in a different way than requested and the other side has to accommodate. There are different ways to show initiative than hand delivering an application. Often times, whoever receives it can't really do much with it anyways, or it's literally walking up to someone and giving them extra work (whether it's to bring it to the right party or disrupting their work flow and then time spent to discard the paper left on their desk) and thus your attempt to look good just straight up backfires.

I would suggest following the instructions perfectly to show you can work within their system without issue, then adding other activities on top to show initiative. Unless you have someone super old school as the gate keeper, handing in a paper application rather than applying online is considered more nuisance than initiative. Paper sucks, gets lost, gets damaged, takes up space, makes a mess digital is the way to go if dealing with high volumes. Initiative these days is perceived inconsistently from one place to the next, so I can't really suggest an idea. However, I have on occasion heard some HR people say that not sending a thank you or follow up email after an interview was the easiest way for them to break a tie breaker or decide whether to allow someone to go to the next level interview (for which sometimes there are 5-6 interviews).

Most times these days, it's about who you know. Networking is very key and doing it wrong really is a bit of a fruitless exercise. I've met too many people who treat networking like sales or cold call/message me with the most obvious intention of asking me for a job or an idea who I would suggest they go pester. If it's not your style, I would not suggest going out there trying to get people to help you land a job. Go out there to meet people within/around the field/company you are looking into and learn things that will allow you to feel and behave more natural in the industry/company you hope to land in. IMO, focusing more on learning during networking is a better use of time. Ending with "am I a good fit, should I apply?" is a nice way to approach things so that you get an idea whether to spend more time on a promising lead, or stop spending time all together because the lead will be a dead end.

Networking is also not about interacting with business professionals only. Alumni groups, interest groups (board game, hiking, climbing etc.) are also good networking options as well. I would suggest to avoid passive aggressive hints though. Interactions should also be succinct. Saying something like, "Darn, the process isn't going as well as I hoped. I hope tomorrow is better." is much better than someone going on an on for 30 minutes about how they haven't found anything yet. Hell, many friends hate listening to it, so it likely is twice as annoying with acquaintances and strangers. Other people's time is valuable to them. Don't waste their time. The more time they retain for themselves, the more likely they might spend a little bit of it trying to help you.

I've also found that job seekers meeting up with each other is excellent as well. Finding someone to shoot the #### with and just get something off your chest is huge in staying positive and motivated in this journey. Furthermore, sharing about each other's failures is one of the best ways to constantly improve your interviewing/application skills. If someone has interviewed previously at a company you are interested at, ask them about certain things they felt may have contributed to them being eliminated to see if you can avoid the same pitfall. I knew some buddies who interviewed at different accounting firms at different times and helped give each other an advantage applying at the firms they flubbed out at. Both ended up with jobs at different firms and credit each other for teaching each other to interview more effectively. However, they discovered this by accident.

I will say that the majority of HR professionals I chat with absolutely HATE being randomly contacted by people they don't know. They get a plethora of these types of contacts on a regular basis. However, if they contacted you first, I think it's fair game to contact them back, but keep it super concise (test read your communication to see if it gets the main points they would be interested in in 20 seconds or less) don't take it personally if they don't get around to replying you. They're busy people as well. If anything, I actually would suggest to avoid contacting HR directly unless you are asked to do so or if someone has paved the way for you to contact them.

A piece of advice I've been giving to some who have been networking with me, is to treat the entire interview process like a date. Nearly all rules of engagement in a date are applicable in a job interview process. The end goal is to have an enjoyable date as opposed to an awkward or a terrible one.

- The other party is trying to get to know you just as much as you are trying to get to know them

- Reveal enough to show you are qualified, but also other things that show you are interesting enough for a second/third date

- The other side isn't completely stupid. Bend the truth too often and they'll see right through you. But go on and on about how you're not good enough, and you'll probably not be interesting enough for another date. Genuine is the annoying catch phrase, but it's a truth. Many interview guides/articles discuss an idea to not show weakness or spin all weaknesses into strengths. That's stupid IMO. Discuss your capabilities and discuss how your weaknesses will not be allowed to be problematic if you are selected.

- If one side talks all the time and doesn't let the other side speak, probably bad date. Worse if one party wanted a short answer to a simple question and ends up with a 5 minute monologue.

- Confidence is good. Arrogance not so much, nor is timidness. I would say though, that the best way to exude an attitude that shows the other party you are convinced that your personality, knowledge and experience belongs in the industry/company you are interviewing with.

- We are all a collection of all the experiences in our lives. No experience in our lives are truly useless. High level managers have worked minimum wage jobs in their life time and those experiences paved the journey of their career. Others have interests and hobbies as well. They're human after all. You won't just be interacting with people at a professional level at a job. You'll be interacting with them at a personal level as well.

- Resume should be concise. It should be 1 page with information that is most pertinent to the target audience. You can always put additional information available upon request if you have more. The interview should be for elaboration of the info on the resume or mentioning something applicable that did not fit.

A question I've been asked that I found clever was, "Do I have an interesting personality that would work well with the role that I am interviewing for?" You can kind of get some constructive criticism at the end of the interview by asking that question and you can even get a hint as to whether you did well or have been eliminated on the spot. This via the answers given or the body language when the question is answered.

Another I've heard is asking short behavioral questions that the interviewer can answer in one sentence quickly to gauge if you'd even want to be at the company, "How much autonomy do you typically get to finish projects you've been given?"/"What does a typical day look like at your office?".

I know some people like asking the interviewer something along the lines of how long to expect to wait for a decision on consideration for the role/when (how long) would be a good time to follow up if no response is heard from the interviewer and I think it's a good idea. That way, you can reallocate emotional energy from one application/interview to another and not hold out hope for something that you were already eliminated for.

I wish you all good luck on your searches. Hang in there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
I still sent out a thank you email a few hours after the interview.

But here is my question: in 100% of interviews the interviewer says "Call me John/Jane, nice to meet you...... etc".

So when writing the thank you note do you still start with: Dear Mr./Ms. Smith????

Hi John/Jane sounds very informaand too familiar l but that's how all emails start, right?
I suggest first name basis. Consider the thank you note an extension of the interview and put down what you used to address the interviewer in the interview. Wouldn't it be awkward if halfway through the interview, you consistently revert to calling someone by their title after being given permission to refer to the interviewer on a first name basis?

Last edited by DoubleF; 08-04-2018 at 12:21 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2018, 12:28 AM   #91
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsieve View Post
As a hiring manager myself, a few pieces:

1. Submit a cover letter with your resume. I don’t put a ton of stock into what the letter says but I automatically throw out any who don’t. If you can’t take the time to write one, that shows a lot more. Also the same thing with LinkedIn auto apps. Take the time and submit one properly.

I'm curious how much this differs between industries. I've been in IT for 15 years now and have never used a cover letter when applying for positions, and it's never really seemed to negatively impact my chances at getting an interview. Talking with friends in the industry most of them have never bothered with cover letters either

I wonder if that's due to IT being the first industry to go online-only in the application process (which forces you to create profiles that make a CL redundant), or if it's just a quirk in the industry
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:18 AM   #92
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Anyone ever see, use, or apply to a job where a video was requested in lieu of a cover letter?

A friend on Facebook shared a posting (not their company) where they asked for a video but would accept a cover letter as an alternative.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:12 AM   #93
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Anyone ever see, use, or apply to a job where a video was requested in lieu of a cover letter?

A friend on Facebook shared a posting (not their company) where they asked for a video but would accept a cover letter as an alternative.
I have not seen a request for an introductory video but I have done a video interview before. It took about an hour and if I remember correctly it was 6 questions. The question would come up on the screen and you would have 3 minutes to read it and think about the answer. Once ready you would hit the record button and provide your answer in a 10 minute video. If you screwed up the answer you could restart your recording once.

I found that it was a really akward way of doing an interview and if a job I was applying for asked me to do another one I would probably reject the offer.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:25 AM   #94
CrazyCaper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have an interview on Wednesday morning with a very large organization for an account manager role. My interview begins at 10am with a panel of 4 but was asked to arrive an hour early to review a case study prior. There will be questions during the meeting. Has anyone else ever experienced something similar to this?
CrazyCaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:12 AM   #95
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

For an engineering role I know people who were brought in to do various calculations prior to an interview and then were asked about some of the work during the interview.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:23 AM   #96
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

With culture emphasized so much in this era I would recommend seeing what you can find online about what the company promotes as their cultural values and ask specific questions related to those. It shows it is important to you and that you took the time to prepare in advance.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to red sky For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2018, 12:42 AM   #97
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCaper View Post
I have an interview on Wednesday morning with a very large organization for an account manager role. My interview begins at 10am with a panel of 4 but was asked to arrive an hour early to review a case study prior. There will be questions during the meeting. Has anyone else ever experienced something similar to this?
The only thing I did that came close to this was a very dumb Environment Canada interview where they sent me a package ahead of time and I was to "pretend" I was the head of the Board of Education in Canada. (What this has to do with a meteorological position, I have no idea.) At any rate, I completely failed the interview process because I didn't say the canned, bull$hit, brown-nosey answers that the gov't wanted and thus I didn't get the job. I'm super glad, though, because now that I'm working in the private sector, I have learned a lot about that job and it sounds like h3ll. (Independent thinking is NOT something the gov't wants in their midst.)

But they're usually personality/management capability-type questions so maybe research that a bit ahead of time.

Sorry that I'm not of more help. I have someone doing my work tonight (that I have to check before it goes out), so I'm a little bored and wrote this likely useless response that just wasted everyone's time.

You're welcome

Oh, and good luck at the interview!
ASP#26525 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASP#26525 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2018, 07:02 AM   #98
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASP#26525 View Post
Sorry that I'm not of more help. I have someone doing my work tonight (that I have to check before it goes out), so I'm a little bored and wrote this likely useless response that just wasted everyone's time.
Is that someone a job applicant who is doing a "practice shift" as part of the interview process?
Amethyst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:15 AM   #99
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Some of my go-to questions:

1) what would you want to see accomplished in my first 30/60/90 days? (This gives you an idea of their demands/expectations, gives you measurables to refer to at the start, and makes you look like a performer to the interviewer)

2) in your experience, what would you say are the top 3 traits in top performers in this role? (Again, gives the impression you want to excel, also allows you to tie your experience/skills to those traits)
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:23 PM   #100
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
Some of my go-to questions:

1) what would you want to see accomplished in my first 30/60/90 days? (This gives you an idea of their demands/expectations, gives you measurables to refer to at the start, and makes you look like a performer to the interviewer)

2) in your experience, what would you say are the top 3 traits in top performers in this role? (Again, gives the impression you want to excel, also allows you to tie your experience/skills to those traits)
I don't use question time to impress the interviewers, that's what the previous hour was about.

I use the end of the interview to find out if I actually want to work for the company. There's nothing worse than going through the whole process of getting a job then finding out you hate it.

I ask about the office culture, if everyone works the same hours or has to dress a certain way. I ask about why the previous person left and whether there is a lot of overtime expected because I value work-life balance.

The interview is a two way street, I am also interviewing the company to see if I want o bring my talents there. I've declined job offers because of things that have come up in the interviews. For ex: the president was a huge d!ck, I expected the company to fail, employees were not allowed to leave the premises for lunch etc etc.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
job search , jobs , unemployed