Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2019, 08:18 AM   #2941
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The dead cap hit would be hard to swallow but they don't have to worry about Bell's contract so they could probably absorb it if a team was to surrender some high draft picks. I think the Steelers organization is so proud of their continuity over the decades (haven't fired a head coach in 50 years) that they are more worried about optics of finally firing a head coach than what's best for the team. I'm not sure how the Rooney's can keep dismissing years of locker room dysfunction without realizing that the head coach is a big part of the problem.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 01-02-2019 at 08:21 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:50 PM   #2942
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fun stat about the Steelers missing the playoffs in the Ben era: Losing to really crappy Raiders teams cost them the playoffs (the Saints were the team that broke the Bucs streak. Lost to them this year too so...)

Quote:
Back to Pittsburgh. In the end, the Week 1 tie in Cleveland was costly, or maybe the writing was on the wall when the Steelers lost in Oakland. Pittsburgh has missed the playoffs five times in the Roethlisberger era (2006, 2009, 2012, 2013, and 2018). In all five seasons they were a game out of the playoffs, and they lost to a bad Oakland team each time as well. In fact, in those five seasons the Raiders were 14-61 (.187) when not playing Pittsburgh. This is like that infamous (but no longer true) stat where no team that lost to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers won the Super Bowl in the same season. If you've lost to a team like that, you must have some serious problems.
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/cl...-season-review

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 01-02-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Senator Clay Davis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:06 PM   #2943
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Fun stat about the Steelers missing the playoffs in the Ben era: Losing to really crappy Raiders teams cost them the playoffs (the Saints were the team that broke the Bucs streak. Lost to them this year too so...)

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/cl...-season-review
Interesting, I had never even heard of that Bucs stat before either, weird considering my team is in the same division.

And yup, Saints actually lost to the same teams this year, in the same locations, as they did when they won the SB in 09; L @ Dal, and at home to TB & Car. Even the Carolina loss was the same as 09; week 17 when they had already clinched home field and played their backups.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:14 PM   #2944
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Gil Brandt said something along the lines of it was the best pro day he had ever seen. But he still wouldn't draft him.

Finding talent is one thing. Figuring out how motivated players will be once they get money is where these guys differentiate themselves. We will see how Mayock does at this aspect. I'm sure he's aware of this.

I'm a bit diappointed they didn't hire Mel Kiper Jr... that would have been must see TV.
Kiper said the raiders found their john elway when the pick was announced on espn as well for jamarcus
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:43 PM   #2945
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

how tf does Kliff Kingsbury land a 4 year contract as an NFL HC?!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1082753985172377603
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:51 PM   #2946
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
how tf does Kliff Kingsbury land a 4 year contract as an NFL HC?!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1082753985172377603
The Cardinals low-key are one of the worst run franchises in the NFL.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 02:59 PM   #2947
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a QB league and they undoubtedly were enamored with who he's developed (mostly Mahomes I would guess). Rosen looked like absolute crap this year so maybe hoping for the McVay effect although even Goff didn't look as bad as Rosen.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:16 PM   #2948
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bucs look set to hire Bruce Arians.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:01 PM   #2949
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Bucs look set to hire Bruce Arians.
That's a good hire. I'm surprised he would pick them because of Winston. Maybe he thinks he is the guy to fix him but sometimes that can blow up in your face.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:24 AM   #2950
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1083051333270282243

https://twitter.com/user/status/1083046454657191936
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:20 AM   #2951
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The loss of Fangio will certainly have the Bears as the overwhelming pick for first to worst next year. Huge loss for them. And cue all of the "A Baker needs his Kitchens" jokes.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:28 AM   #2952
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/201...cart_big-photo

Quote:
“Kitchens sounds exactly like the kind of coach teams in a coaching search should investigate,’’ King in his Football Morning in America Column. “Everyone’s looking for the next (Sean) Payton, the next Sean McVay. Could it be the barrel-chested Alabamian who, despite never having been a coordinator before, has turned the Cleveland offense into must-see TV in his seven weeks on the job?’’

The Kitchens’ resume is also impressive. He played quarterback for three seasons at Alabama under Gene Stallings, and understands the position. He’s also worked for some of the brightest minds in football, serving as a grad assistant under Nick Saban at LSU in 2000, and coaching tight ends for the Cowboys under Bill Parcells in 2006.

He spent 11 years in Arizona working under Ken Whisenhunt and Bruce Arians, including four seasons coaching quarterback Carson Palmer. Under Kitchens’ tutelage, Palmer set multiple single-season team records, including passing yards (4,671), touchdown passes (35), and passer rating (104.6).
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:33 AM   #2953
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well if nothing else I'm happy we're seeing some fresh faces getting hired and that a lot of the retreads are being ignored this time. Arians is the exception but he's also proven to be a top level coach.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:04 PM   #2954
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fangio being hired by Denver likely means Kubiak will be the de facto OC.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:04 PM   #2955
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The loss of Fangio will certainly have the Bears as the overwhelming pick for first to worst next year. Huge loss for them. And cue all of the "A Baker needs his Kitchens" jokes.
They were already a candidate for first to worst in their division as they had a lot of things go their way this season. While the loss of Fangio will certainly hurt they do have some pretty good talent on the defensive side so it remains to be seen how much the defense will regress. You never know if a good coordinator makes for a good head coach and it's interesting that Elway went with another head coach with a defensive background.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:20 PM   #2956
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never change, Browns.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1083072080046968833
Old 01-09-2019, 12:21 PM   #2957
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Fangio being hired by Denver likely means Kubiak will be the de facto OC.
It’s not likely, it’s guaranteed. It also means Kubiak is in effect the co-head coach. I hate this setup and it reeks of Elway’s heavy handed approach to everything. Wannabe Jerry Jr. can’t be fired soon enough.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:50 PM   #2958
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
It’s not likely, it’s guaranteed. It also means Kubiak is in effect the co-head coach. I hate this setup and it reeks of Elway’s heavy handed approach to everything. Wannabe Jerry Jr. can’t be fired soon enough.
Sounds like they're gonna want to still hire an assistant OC to be groomed by Kubiak.

EDIT: Seems like they're just gonna role with him alone actually. Outdated information.

Last edited by Joborule; 01-09-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:13 PM   #2959
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fangio was great. I'm not sure how he will fare as a HC.

However Nagy had a much bigger influence on this team. The talent on D shouldnt be hard to coach up with an experienced hire. Dont see them dropping too far considering the Bears were also one of the highest scoring teams on offense as well
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:18 PM   #2960
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
They were already a candidate for first to worst in their division as they had a lot of things go their way this season. While the loss of Fangio will certainly hurt they do have some pretty good talent on the defensive side so it remains to be seen how much the defense will regress. You never know if a good coordinator makes for a good head coach and it's interesting that Elway went with another head coach with a defensive background.
I guess it's probably not likely we acquire another HOF player, but another year for the offense in one of the leagues most effective offenses probably will help. I'd wager the Bears win the division again next year, but with a game or two worse record with the harder schedule.
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote