Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2018, 11:24 AM   #1181
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Reefer Madness at NASA

I wonder if any Canadian companies have similar policies, or do contract work for U.S. government agencies.
Oh Elon....he just cant quit being Elon.

I wonder at what point he didnt realize that if you take that much cash in Government grants and tax breaks that its effectively like working for Disney.

They Own You.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:39 PM   #1182
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Move SpaceX to Canada!
Old 11-23-2018, 12:47 PM   #1183
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookster View Post
I am personally fine with this policy. Legal or not, there is no reason you need to bring pot to work as it can't be consumed there and I think work places should be able to restrict anything that could cause accidents or possibly even death in a work situation.
I think it's ridiculous.

I once dated someone who worked very near where I lived, so she'd stay over quite often on weeknights. She lived in the burbs and I lived in Bankview. So she should have either kept a separate stash at my house, or else had to run home after work, negating the convenience of staying at my place?

I've randomly stayed at a friend's place on a Friday night many times, direct from work. Gone to a hockey game direct from work. Gone to a restaurant direct from work. I'm not a medicinal user, just a casual enjoyer of what is now a totally legal product. Medicinal people have even more reason to think this is a completely ridiculous company rule.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2018, 12:51 PM   #1184
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am personally fine with this policy. Legal or not, there is no reason you need to bring pot to work as it can't be consumed there and I think work places should be able to restrict anything that could cause accidents or possibly even death in a work situation.
Dude. You work in an office. Let's not pretend the photocopier is considered heavy equipment such that this kind of policy is required or even reasonable.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2018, 01:36 PM   #1185
wookster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Dude. You work in an office. Let's not pretend the photocopier is considered heavy equipment such that this kind of policy is required or even reasonable.
Dude, our "offices" consist of people using workstations to manage and control heavy machinery, hazardous chemicals and working conditions that include high pressure steam and hydraulics. As a lot of this equipment is controlled by people using workstations from our head office so yeah...it is kind of important for them to alert/sober as even though they are just sitting in an office as it can still cause harm/death to people working out in the field. Not to mention the effect that the decisions our engineers and geologists make have on our field people as well. So yeah, I would think that this kind of policy is extremely justifiable and I don't know what kind of a moron would want to work under in that type of environment with someone who was stoned or drunk.

Crazy to think that offices can have a little more functionality than photocopying stuff eh. Maybe you should not assume that just because the extent of your day in an office hovers around a photocopier, that all offices work the same way.

On a side note, they stated that the search found no banned substances at either our head office or the 3 field sites in Alberta that were searched. So I guess that can either mean our workers are abiding by the rules or that search dog really sucks at its job.
wookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 02:05 PM   #1186
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Dude...
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2018, 03:03 PM   #1187
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It should be simple if you are allowed a bottle of alcohol at the office you should be allowed pot at the office. Should be the same rules for both.(I don’t mean consuming at the office)
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 04:17 PM   #1188
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, obviously those who take the bus are SOL but is there something wrong with just leaving your dope in the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 05:30 PM   #1189
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaznfob View Post
Also you can claim the pot on your benefits with medical

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
which benefit plan you have?
Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 05:33 PM   #1190
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Dude...

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 05:45 PM   #1191
daaznfob
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic View Post
which benefit plan you have?
Ok well you can't claim it yet. But SunLife from what I hear is working on it as I'm sure others are to.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
daaznfob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daaznfob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2018, 06:29 PM   #1192
Poster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Lots of offices have rules surrounding this when they have people in safety sensitive positions. If you don't you can open yourself up to a ton of liability if something were to happen.
what is unsafe about having marijuana in your purse or briefcase? is it any less safe than having tylenol, lego or some other non work related item on your person?

safety is a non issue, no one is saying its cool to be high at work, by marijuana or otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
One of the things I find confusing is medical vs recreational pot.

Are they the same, I seem to think that sometimes they are and sometimes they aren't.
medical means you have access to different distribution channels and different rights. for instance in banff its prohibited to smoke marijuana just about anywhere in public, medical marijuana excepted.

the product is the same. you choose your strain in both systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
That's not the point I was interpreting at all, what with the tobacco and legal possession references and all.

I would assume it would be no issue if they can provide records that their cannabis is prescribed. They would probably need to justify use at work (which probably isn't a thing).
its none of my employers business what my doctor prescribes me and for why. unless it will impair my ability to perform my duties, but thats not unique to marijuana. does Mary the receptionist have to disclose her thyroid medication? whats the difference? no one is saying companies should allow people to be impaired at work but thats not with this is about. some people have sleeping pills for example, they take them AFTER HOURS at night. these could impair them at work if they took them with lunch. so shuld they have to tell their employer about them too? thats silly and none of the employers business.

its a complete invasion of personal privacy and could cause significant problems if for example i was identified by a drug sniffing dog and all my colleagues made assumptions that i now needed to disclose.

sorry, this company is abusive. i bet their executives think nothing of drinking scotch with a cigar after a big deal or ordering a bottle of wine at dinner with clients.

not all marijuana impairs by the way so what are they afraid of?

a DONT BE IMPAIRED BY ANYTHING ON THE JOB rule is cool, why does it need to be be anything other than that?

Last edited by Poster; 11-23-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Poster For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2018, 06:36 PM   #1193
Poster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I mean, obviously those who take the bus are SOL but is there something wrong with just leaving your dope in the car?
thats good advice but why dont you leave your lego in the car? whats the difference besides arbitraty company policy of one legal item vs a different legal item.

why does the company need to spend $$ ambushing their employees at work? couldnt that money be spent on more productive moral boosting activities since it seems they have money to burn?

it speaks to the culture of the company if you ask me. not a place i would want to work.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:40 PM   #1194
Poster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know what kind of a moron would want to work under in that type of environment with someone who was stoned or drunk. .
so why arent they doing blood tests to see who is under the influence? wouldnt that be more applicable?

i mean not having weed on your person isnt an indicator that a person isnt high. they are testing the wrong thing if safety of operations is the concern.

you work for a crap employer who doesnt trust their employees. what a waste of resources!
Old 11-23-2018, 06:52 PM   #1195
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Our company policy specifically stats that Cannabis is not allowed on any company property or at any company functions, this even includes our holiday party etc. that is hosted at a private venue. The rule for alcohol is slightly different stating that alcohol is allowed at certain events (again...holiday party etc.) and of course its standard for both alcohol and drugs for being "fit for work" and such. Our field crews have zero tolerance for both as it should be as it would be a huge safety concern.

Process wise for the dog, they had HR and security come through the floor first saying what was going to happen and asked that we step away from our office or desk while the dog came through. Our Director went through with them as well for our team. It this time, I am unaware if the dog found anything onsite of if they did, what actions were taken.

I’m glad I don’t work for a company like that.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:56 PM   #1196
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Cannabis is legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Lots of offices have rules surrounding this when they have people in safety sensitive positions. If you don't you can open yourself up to a ton of liability if something were to happen.

I have a cold. At lunch I bought medication that causes drowsiness. I plan to take this before I go to bed.

Should my company be liable for me having this ‘dangerous’ substance in my backpack?
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2018, 07:05 PM   #1197
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Dude...
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:00 PM   #1198
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Dude, our "offices" consist of people using workstations to manage and control heavy machinery, hazardous chemicals and working conditions that include high pressure steam and hydraulics. As a lot of this equipment is controlled by people using workstations from our head office so yeah...it is kind of important for them to alert/sober as even though they are just sitting in an office as it can still cause harm/death to people working out in the field. Not to mention the effect that the decisions our engineers and geologists make have on our field people as well. So yeah, I would think that this kind of policy is extremely justifiable and I don't know what kind of a moron would want to work under in that type of environment with someone who was stoned or drunk.
Your straw-manning of the argument aside, I'm gonna have to try this new way of getting stoned or drunk where you leave the product in your bag and don't open or consume it in any way. Sounds fascinating.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:48 PM   #1199
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remote sites regularly search bags to enforce the drug and alcohol free camp and worksites. So extending that policy to an office environment could be reasonable if the goal is consistent application of all policies.

I think the bigger threat in an office environment is the bottle to throttle problem. Ensuring your workers have 8-12 hrs from last use of a substance an proper rest. Much harder to regulate outside of camps. Having a demonstrated zero tolerance policy for illegal and legal drugs on premises would show your are serious about the bottle to throttle rules you also have.

It depends on the situation, that said drug sniffing dogs rather than drug and alcohol screening seems pretty ridiculous.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:20 PM   #1200
Poster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

It depends on the situation, that said drug sniffing dogs rather than drug and alcohol screening seems pretty ridiculous.
On that note I am inclined to believe the OP made it up.

Not only is it a colossal waste of resources that doesn’t even solve any issue it sends a pretty crappy message about what the management thinks of its employees.

What kind of culture requires drug sniffing dogs? Regardless they would be open to privacy violation law suits I am sure.