Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-15-2019, 11:57 AM   #621
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc View Post
I gave this a try and it didn't seem to work. Essentially it just brought me to a search for ESPN's 30 for 30. Should I be trying this on a certain screen?
Just keep mashing it as fast as you can, it'll work eventually.

Re. soundbar, I have an Amazon Basics one attached just via optical to the TV and it works with the remote. Had to set it up with a Vizio code and the only thing weird about it is when you turn it up or down it goes up or down by 2. Might just be the soundbar though.

If you ever cant find info on what you are trying to do with Bluesky specifically, just google it for Xfinity X1.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 12:11 PM   #622
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
No special screen needed.

Have you tried to see if it’s working?
It did work, thanks!

I guess I thought there would be a notification or message if I did it correctly.
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:24 PM   #623
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc View Post
It did work, thanks!

I guess I thought there would be a notification or message if I did it correctly.
Great to hear!
Old 01-19-2019, 06:47 PM   #624
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm gonna crosspost a post of mine from another forum, maybe some of you aren't on both and maybe someone here has insight. I'll just post them both and then maybe people can give me their thoughts?

Quote:
I'm curious if Shaw has started throttling some addresses. I've been having buffering the last couple days on my IPTV service (Eternal), and slow quality ramp ups on Netflix, and lots of trouble with Kodi and buffering (with Real Debrid integration). Thought maybe Eternal was finally going to ####, so I grabbed a month of Vaders/Beast just to test, and sure enough same problem. Speed test my Firestick and I get 140Mb/s, which is good for where it is relative to the router. Streams start out good and run for a few seconds then start buffering, same with downloads of the APK's from these services, they start super fast and then slow to a crawl. Thought it was all 3 of the services going to ####, factory reset my router, placed everything different, analyzed channels, etc etc. No fix and same problem. Went to the support groups, no other issues reported. Had no other way of testing against anything, have 5 sticks and all behave the same, then thought to try it on my cell phone and had not a single issue with buffering or speed. Firmly suspect Shaw of doing stuff now (GF said she was able to watch fine this afternoon, but also had troubles last evening).....Anyone else?
Quote:
So something is definitely up with the service. I had a pretty negative interaction with a shaw chat tech yesterday who accused everything but the service, my routers, my devices, having too many connected, etc. I went all the way right down to the studs, unbridged my modem and connected LAN to it and factory reset it, still great speedtest results, but whenever I try any of Kodi (with debrid), vaders, beast, eternal they all fail to work properly. I even went out and purchased an Nvidia Shield because every time I brought it up all I got was "firesticks are ####, thats your problem". Funny, the shield behaves the same. If I hotspot my Shield or Firesticks off of my phone I can watch anything flawlessly (phone speedtests at 290Mbps), and nearly instant. Switch back to shaw (even hardwired) I get buffering, and kodi won't even start a source streaming after finding them all. Clearly its a back end issue. Just for fun I redownloaded the apk's I use, and noticed that anything tied to the domains that the IPTV services feed off of would CRAWL through a download (about 4 minutes for a 50mb file). Downloading the same file on my phone or public wifi, nearly instant. I noticed that the bigger files, 90mb ones, start fast for the first 15mb or so, and then take forever for the last 75mb, consistent with what I see when I load channels or kodi, the first few secodns buffers up fast, then just gets too slow to maintain the stream. Again, through the support groups for these, there are no other problems and I can reproduce problem free service if I eliminate shaw. ####in frustrating.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:34 PM   #625
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn’t use Speedtest anymore. I am pretty sure the ISPs are fully aware of and will change their throughput for it. There are some other speed testing providers that you can get a more honest result from. Unfortunately I can’t recall the sites at the moment, but they exist.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:36 PM   #626
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I wouldn’t use Speedtest anymore. I am pretty sure the ISPs are fully aware of and will change their throughput for it. There are some other speed testing providers that you can get a more honest result from. Unfortunately I can’t recall the sites at the moment, but they exist.
Fast.com is still one of the best to test spreads because it’s Netflix’s server not a providers server.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:43 PM   #627
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
I'm gonna crosspost a post of mine from another forum, maybe some of you aren't on both and maybe someone here has insight. I'll just post them both and then maybe people can give me their thoughts?
I posted on beyond as well that Shaw isn’t throttling because I am not having the same issue using some of the same stuff. My Firestick also gets piss poor speeds compared to my 3 Apple TVs.

I have zero buffering issues with kodi using real debrid. I know IPTV servers can be piss poor so I cannot comment on them as I see no benefit from using that service.

Try fast.com with the browser on the Firestick and let me know what your getting. Also which add ons are having issues. I know a large number of sources are behind in updates and if your source is not updating the app to the newest and most relevant resolvers you can have issues.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:07 PM   #628
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I posted on beyond as well that Shaw isn’t throttling because I am not having the same issue using some of the same stuff. My Firestick also gets piss poor speeds compared to my 3 Apple TVs.

I have zero buffering issues with kodi using real debrid. I know IPTV servers can be piss poor so I cannot comment on them as I see no benefit from using that service.

Try fast.com with the browser on the Firestick and let me know what your getting. Also which add ons are having issues. I know a large number of sources are behind in updates and if your source is not updating the app to the newest and most relevant resolvers you can have issues.
Well, something is wrong with the network here, the consistent behavior has started again, was running fine during the day, now in the evening about 5 min ago it just stopped working. When it goes to crap, I can switch to hotspotting my shield or my firesticks off of my phone, and I run fine instantly on the Koodo network, so its clearly not the source feeds. As soon as I switch the network back to the shaw one, it stops working. I use fast.com and speedtest, fast.com always comes up slower for sure, like around 140-180 compared to speedtests 240ish, hardwired into the modem I had 300 on fast, and still couldn't load anything on Kodi or any 3 of the IPTV's, again while I could immediately not on shaw.

I have the same issue with kodi and real debrid. I've wiped and reinstalled and even went to different repos and builds, tested across 4 devices now. I've reauthorized everything. I'm on the most current of anything I could be (magic dragon, exodus, neptune rising, yoda, etc etc) On my network (hard wired, wifi, direct to modem, doesn't matter) I can't load more than a few seconds of whatever I want to watch. As soon as I switch again to hotspotting on my phone, I get instant starts, and whatever I'm watching buffers up a few minutes in advance (even on 1080p and 4k content). My connection on wifi can sort of keep up to SD stuff, and some lower level channels on IPTV that doesn't require the throughput. FWIW I have 3 separate IPTV subs (I got 2 more just to see if it was the service), they all do the same thing, at the same time, when they all work they all work (like hotspotted), when they don't work they don't work, and its consistent with kodi not working as well. Its all or none, which is a network issue.

I can't stress enough how much I have gone through every single step, every single aspect of my network, settings, to the point of changing every single part of my network, the router, the box I use to stream, trying subscriptions to different services, etc, just to narrow things down and shaw still seems to not work for me in the evenings, no matter what the speedtests say, proven by the fact it works fine on anything BUT a shaw network.

I'm sick of the conversations about how something I'm doing is wrong, and how it can't be the network, because I've gone and changed everything on my end to resolve this, nothing left untouched. Literally, new router, new nvidia shield, new kodi builds, new IPTV subs, factory reset router, new CAT5 lengths. Same garbage problem with OCD levels of repeatability and predictability.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:14 PM   #629
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a way to have your router use your phone’s internet connection instead of Shaw? That might eliminate your network as a problem.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:42 AM   #630
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

This sounds like it could be an MTU issue.

https://packetu.com/2014/07/24/recog...ip-mtu-issues/
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:34 PM   #631
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
This sounds like it could be an MTU issue.

https://packetu.com/2014/07/24/recog...ip-mtu-issues/
I would think the problem would be constant if this were the case, but its repeatable within a time frame (typically evenings, after 530pm weekdays, 8pm weekends). I'm watching fine right now, at least for the last 40 min, without issue, and will test kodi shortly.

Edit: I take it back, it's now repeatedly buffering again on shaw. Unwatchable

Edit 2: kodi is working fine, so daytime seems ok evening not so much

last edit: I appreciate the suggestions, I hope my frustration at this whole situation doesn't come through too much in my posts

Last edited by Aleks; 01-20-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:30 PM   #632
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

At night does your speed tests drop as well during those times?
Old 01-21-2019, 02:36 PM   #633
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
At night does your speed tests drop as well during those times?
So I've been doing extensive testing with this now.

At night, I get decending speed tests (ie: starts at 300+ and slows down to about 170 by the time the test stops, or 80-100 on fast.com).

During the day I get ascending speed tests, (ie: starts at 120 and finishes at 330)

In the evening, connected to a VPN I can't get over 8-10, comparatively my friend also on shaw, at the same time, will get 120-140 on that same server. During the day, I can hit 170 on that same server and watch TV and everything with it. My friend never disconnects his VPN, he stays connected 24/7 and never has an issue.

While I get good speed tests and can connect to VPN's without issue, I also have ZERO issues with my TV or Kodi. I watched a 4k movie without a single hiccup at lunch time today.

So, again I still point to Shaw as the culprit
Old 01-21-2019, 03:43 PM   #634
Treycal
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Anyone running a sound bar with the Shaw Bluesky remote? I want to pick up a new sound bar (my toshiba doesn't work with the remote) that will actually work with the Bluesky remote. Anyone using a sound bar with the shaw remote control? Please let me know.
I have a Sonos soundbar that is connected to my TV via optical cable. Bluesky has no problem controlling it. Was listed as an option when I set-up the box and works with no issues.
Treycal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Treycal For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 04:14 PM   #635
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treycal View Post
I have a Sonos soundbar that is connected to my TV via optical cable. Bluesky has no problem controlling it. Was listed as an option when I set-up the box and works with no issues.
Thanks for the info. I might go down that route.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:27 PM   #636
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So I've been doing extensive testing with this now.

At night, I get decending speed tests (ie: starts at 300+ and slows down to about 170 by the time the test stops, or 80-100 on fast.com).

During the day I get ascending speed tests, (ie: starts at 120 and finishes at 330)

In the evening, connected to a VPN I can't get over 8-10, comparatively my friend also on shaw, at the same time, will get 120-140 on that same server. During the day, I can hit 170 on that same server and watch TV and everything with it. My friend never disconnects his VPN, he stays connected 24/7 and never has an issue.

While I get good speed tests and can connect to VPN's without issue, I also have ZERO issues with my TV or Kodi. I watched a 4k movie without a single hiccup at lunch time today.

So, again I still point to Shaw as the culprit
I was running into a situation like this at my place as well. Everything went bonkers and haywire at a specific time each day and the speeds would drop to the point where nothing transfers (thus I have no wifi or ethernet).

A Shaw tech I spoke with had me reset the modem in a very specific manner. I don't recall off the top of my head what method I used (as I spoke with several tech and used several methods), but I do recall him saying that the method to reset must be that method, because they had been testing modems and noticed that certain reset methods was not resetting the cache or memory in the modem or something. I thought he was BSing me and just doing the typical, "did you restart the hardware?" spiel at first, but after doing that reset, it did seem to resolve the issue (the other methods didn't) and I haven't had issues with speed drops or complete disconnections.

I think it was a combination of disconnecting the optical cable, pushing the reset button for 30 seconds, then disconnecting the power cable, waiting 30 seconds and reconnecting everything or something.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:57 PM   #637
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I was running into a situation like this at my place as well. Everything went bonkers and haywire at a specific time each day and the speeds would drop to the point where nothing transfers (thus I have no wifi or ethernet).

A Shaw tech I spoke with had me reset the modem in a very specific manner. I don't recall off the top of my head what method I used (as I spoke with several tech and used several methods), but I do recall him saying that the method to reset must be that method, because they had been testing modems and noticed that certain reset methods was not resetting the cache or memory in the modem or something. I thought he was BSing me and just doing the typical, "did you restart the hardware?" spiel at first, but after doing that reset, it did seem to resolve the issue (the other methods didn't) and I haven't had issues with speed drops or complete disconnections.

I think it was a combination of disconnecting the optical cable, pushing the reset button for 30 seconds, then disconnecting the power cable, waiting 30 seconds and reconnecting everything or something.

I've done the hard hard reset like you outlined, I had to for me to even get back into my modem because I forgot the password I also had them re-provision my service to make sure the back end was set up properly for me. Either way those didn't work either, so I'm still just testing periodically and building the patterns for the shaw tech on saturday, it remains consistent, currently 160 on wifi 20ft from router, 120 on VPN. Tonight I expect that will be next to nothing (last night TV wasn't working again, but all day it was)
Old 01-22-2019, 01:31 PM   #638
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've done the hard hard reset like you outlined, I had to for me to even get back into my modem because I forgot the password I also had them re-provision my service to make sure the back end was set up properly for me. Either way those didn't work either, so I'm still just testing periodically and building the patterns for the shaw tech on saturday, it remains consistent, currently 160 on wifi 20ft from router, 120 on VPN. Tonight I expect that will be next to nothing (last night TV wasn't working again, but all day it was)
Did you disconnect everything coaxial from the main coaxial line including the splitters? I was told that step was also necessary prior to the hard reset.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:14 AM   #639
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well Shaw doesn't have a manual either...ugh. And they are no help since they don't support VPN's. Does anyone have this modem, could grab a screenshot of the firewall config, or see if there are tic boxes for VPN passthrough?
In case anyone else has the issue, she called Shaw again and they admitted they knew the issue, and offered her the Hitron modem instead. She hooked it up, and the VPN worked right away.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:32 AM   #640
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
In case anyone else has the issue, she called Shaw again and they admitted they knew the issue, and offered her the Hitron modem instead. She hooked it up, and the VPN worked right away.
Quote:
. Knowing your on PPTP I can assume using the XB6 to connect to that VPN will not work, as it does not seem to have support for that protocol or L2TP as far as I know (I’m guessing here this isn’t for certain).

Like the post above mentioned. Get a new router and bridge the Shaw modem and this problem will go away.
Well I guess that answers the question with a big no on the XB6 having support for PPTP and L2TP.