Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2023, 12:13 PM   #101
cheevers
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't get why they don't play at Mcmahon, yeah it would suck but at least people could go. Enjoy the 200 strong crowd you'll get in Victoria I guess.
cheevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 12:14 PM   #102
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheevers View Post
I don't get why they don't play at Mcmahon, yeah it would suck but at least people could go. Enjoy the 200 strong crowd you'll get in Victoria I guess.
200 pacific fans...
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 12:15 PM   #103
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
200 pacific fans...
That's the other thing. If Pacific was playing Orlando here, there is no way I'd be there cheering for Pacific!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 12:22 PM   #104
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
200 pacific fans...
With Orlando wearing purple.
Howie_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 12:41 PM   #105
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

This is the one guy I wish we kept. His curl-ins from the side were excellent.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1735717811211669828
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 12:46 PM   #106
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

That sucks about the stadium announcement. I'll still go to Orlando though!
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 01:07 PM   #107
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

And I thought McMahon was the worst case scenario. Obviously playing in February has its challenges, but trust this club to somehow find an even worse option than what anyone could've dreamed of. A massive middle finger to the supporters.

They might be able to save face by arranging a heavily-subsidized deal for supporters. Get me from YYC, to the stadium on a bus, in the doors, and all they way back home in the same day and I might consider it. Get your airline shirt sponsor to step up and make it worth my while. On a weeknight. It would be no holiday, but I'd try and do it as a "supporter".

Seriously - subsidize it and make it $100 and I'll sign up in an instant. They'll probably come up with a $500 package deal and they can shove it. Ian Allison and the club will probably give us a club shop voucher or some pittance. So out of touch.

I have done away days by bus in the UK, and it can be a lot of fun. It is tiring, but you leave in the morning, come back at night, but the club helps arrange the bus, makes it affordable, etc. Obviously geography and cost is a huge limiting factor here in Canada, but if you're going to play the club's first continental competition over a thousand kilometres away, you had better have a plan and it better be good.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 01:12 PM   #108
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The issue here is that this shouldn't be an away day, and no consideration was made into making this in any way convenient for those who would go out of their way to attend.

From the dozens of supporters I've talked to there is no desire to go to Victoria and many are now reconsidering their plans to go to Orlando.

Good on the club for taking a genuine moment of excitement for your supporters and throwing it away.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 01:28 PM   #109
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
The issue here is that this shouldn't be an away day, and no consideration was made into making this in any way convenient for those who would go out of their way to attend.

From the dozens of supporters I've talked to there is no desire to go to Victoria and many are now reconsidering their plans to go to Orlando.

Good on the club for taking a genuine moment of excitement for your supporters and throwing it away.
I fully agree. Travel shouldn't be required to support your team in a "home" game. Find a way. Even McMahon would've been pathetic, but at least we could go, and I think that even the loudest whiners about it (points at self) would understand: February, grass, etc. And you can be damn sure that I'd be there to make the most of it, regardless of weather.

The club should've sat down with representatives from supporters groups like the Foot Soldiers in an organized setting and say "look - here's what's up - help us come up with something".

But... Cavalry is going to Cavalry.

I hope that the Foot Soldiers are able to put together a formal response. The club needs to start seeing supporters as actual stakeholders, and not just a transaction at the beer tent.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 01:30 PM   #110
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
And I thought McMahon was the worst case scenario. Obviously playing in February has its challenges, but trust this club to somehow find an even worse option than what anyone could've dreamed of. A massive middle finger to the supporters.

They might be able to save face by arranging a heavily-subsidized deal for supporters. Get me from YYC, to the stadium on a bus, in the doors, and all they way back home in the same day and I might consider it. Get your airline shirt sponsor to step up and make it worth my while. On a weeknight. It would be no holiday, but I'd try and do it as a "supporter".

Seriously - subsidize it and make it $100 and I'll sign up in an instant. They'll probably come up with a $500 package deal and they can shove it. Ian Allison and the club will probably give us a club shop voucher or some pittance. So out of touch.

I have done away days by bus in the UK, and it can be a lot of fun. It is tiring, but you leave in the morning, come back at night, but the club helps arrange the bus, makes it affordable, etc. Obviously geography and cost is a huge limiting factor here in Canada, but if you're going to play the club's first continental competition over a thousand kilometres away, you had better have a plan and it better be good.
Well $500 is basically the cost of the WJ flight, so you would sure hope they could do better than that. $500 including a night in a hotel and all that and it might be more palatable, but there and back the same day better be cheap.
Old 12-15-2023, 01:47 PM   #111
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well $500 is basically the cost of the WJ flight, so you would sure hope they could do better than that. $500 including a night in a hotel and all that and it might be more palatable, but there and back the same day better be cheap.
That's what I mean. They should be covering as much of the bill as possible in exchange for putting this in an absurd location. I'm not paying $500, or even $250, to go and watch a "home" game that should've been here anyway.

They'll see it as "this is cheaper than if you bought it all separately" (Ian Allison pats self on back). They need to see it as "how can we get as many people there as possible, even if we have to eat most of it".

I know that this sounds entitled, but they want me to do them a favour and be there in person by going to go to Victoria for a weekday (or less), they need to make it worthwhile.

But who are we kidding? Even with an airline sponsor, the club probably can't afford to do much anyway, so they'll just put their hands up and say "we had no choice", and invite everyone back in April as if nothing happened.
Old 12-15-2023, 02:05 PM   #112
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can’t imagine the players are thrilled with this either. They’d want to play at home in front of their fans for this, not a few dozen Pacific supporters for “home leg”.
Old 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM   #113
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I can’t imagine the players are thrilled with this either. They’d want to play at home in front of their fans for this, not a few dozen Pacific supporters for “home leg”.
They will treat it as a try out and hope they get sold.
Lord knows thats Cavalary's M.O

Get a good player, sell them, lose in the playoffs, promise better days, host them someplace else.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 02:28 PM   #114
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I’m one of those supporters who have no interest in Victoria and will likely abandon my plans for Orlando.

If the rumours are true that Concacaf revoked ATCO and denied all Alberta options, then Cavs need to make that public. Let us know what they tried, how they got screwed, and how they plan to do better for 2025 and beyond.

Right now I feel like I support a bush league club. I want to know that’s not the case.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 02:33 PM   #115
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
I’m one of those supporters who have no interest in Victoria and will likely abandon my plans for Orlando.

If the rumours are true that Concacaf revoked ATCO and denied all Alberta options, then Cavs need to make that public. Let us know what they tried, how they got screwed, and how they plan to do better for 2025 and beyond.

Right now I feel like I support a bush league club. I want to know that’s not the case.
Exactly. Communication with supporters has never been their strength, and this isn't their first own goal. At the very least, it would deflect some of the anger off of the club and towards Concacaf.

I also don't have a lot of faith that the club can actual make good decisions in general, so this still smells a lot like home cookin' to me.

Either way, treat the supporters with some respect and actually communicate with them before, during, and after such a decision. Even if it is Concacaf, then ****ing tell us.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 02:36 PM   #116
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Exactly. Communication with supporters has never been their strength, and this isn't their first own goal. At the very least, it would deflect some of the anger off of the club and towards Concacaf.

I also don't have a lot of faith that the club can actual make good decisions in general, so this still smells a lot like home cookin' to me.

Either way, treat the supporters with some respect and actually communicate with them before, during, and after such a decision. Even if it is Concacaf, then ****ing tell us.
I haven’t seen an email from the club yet. They released their statement on social media and not the season ticket holders first? I don’t know who makes those decisions, but it’s pretty brutal.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 02:41 PM   #117
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

What I find frustrating is it seems this came completely out of left field. The chatter the last months has all been they’re confident in their ability to play here.

The Southerns should pony up and make it possible for as many supporters as possible to go to Victoria. They can afford it.
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 02:49 PM   #118
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I suspect the truth is half Concacaf screwed them and half “home cookin”.

My money is on they half assed the turf protection and it wasn’t good enough. Then the price tags to make McMahon and Commonwealth workable were too high, and so Concacaf refused both as-is. Canada Soccer probably had to do a lot of quiet prep on Commonwealth, and the Cavs likely weren’t willing to pay for that.

Starlight was probably free and easy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 03:02 PM   #119
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the fall Ian Allison was puffing out his chest talking about how they were going to play at Spruce Meadows and that they could handle the grass maintenance over the winter. They were adamant that the game would be at Spruce Meadows.

This blindsided everyone. I put out a statement in response but I'm sure we will get our hand slapped like we have in the past.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1735747636907610528

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 03:06 PM   #120
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In the fall Ian Allison was puffing out his chest talking about how they were going to play at Spruce Meadows and that they could handle the grass maintenance over the winter. They were adamant that the game would be at Spruce Meadows.

This blindsided everyone. I put out a statement in response but I'm sure we will get our hand slapped like we have in the past.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1735747636907610528
Great statement. Cavalry should be shamed for this. Either ante up and tell the story how you got screwed, or own your overconfident failures.

Many of us are willing to spend thousands a year on this club. Time to prove why we should.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post:

Tags
cavalry fc , cpl , ftf , soccer