Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-25-2023, 01:44 PM   #241
Hi-Psi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I mean this is a dumb take. You either believe that people can suffer mental breaks and be found NCR for their actions or you don't. The severity of the actions has nothing to do with the validity of the diagnosis.
What's dumb exactly?

If a person goes off the deep end and kills 5 people, that should be on that person's criminal record for the rest of their life. Sure, it can say that he wasn't "criminally responsible" but it should still say that it happened and be on his record, forever.

De Grood however, believes he should get a conditional discharge due to the NCR ruling. A conditional discharge would mean that De Grood would have no criminal record and could essentially be free to walk the streets again as if nothing had happened. That, to me, is absurd. The public, rightfully so, seems to agree with that sentiment.

And yes, the severity of the act does matter in a case like this. It'd be one thing if he attacked 5 people with his fists during the "mental break" but he didn't do that. Instead, he grabbed a knife and started killing people, including chasing after them while they ran away...

Severity always matters, especially in a case of NCR.

Then there's the fact that De Grood is a psychology major, with a minor in law and a father that's a prominent member of the Calgary Police force. That could mean absolutely nothing or it could mean everything.

Are you willing to invite Matt De Grood into your home, to live with you and your family? He was found NCR after all...
Old 09-25-2023, 07:26 PM   #242
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

The severity of the crime clearly matters in the sense that, had the initial cime not been so heinous, it seems far less likely to a rational person that his doctors would give the assessment of "any future violence is significantly likely to be of high severity."
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 05:39 AM   #243
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Psi View Post
What's dumb exactly?

If a person goes off the deep end and kills 5 people, that should be on that person's criminal record for the rest of their life. Sure, it can say that he wasn't "criminally responsible" but it should still say that it happened and be on his record, forever.

De Grood however, believes he should get a conditional discharge due to the NCR ruling. A conditional discharge would mean that De Grood would have no criminal record and could essentially be free to walk the streets again as if nothing had happened. That, to me, is absurd. The public, rightfully so, seems to agree with that sentiment.

And yes, the severity of the act does matter in a case like this. It'd be one thing if he attacked 5 people with his fists during the "mental break" but he didn't do that. Instead, he grabbed a knife and started killing people, including chasing after them while they ran away...

Severity always matters, especially in a case of NCR.

Then there's the fact that De Grood is a psychology major, with a minor in law and a father that's a prominent member of the Calgary Police force. That could mean absolutely nothing or it could mean everything.

Are you willing to invite Matt De Grood into your home, to live with you and your family? He was found NCR after all...
In fairness, you’ve done a much better job of actually explaining your thoughts in attempt #2 here. Though, willing to invite a person into your home certainly shouldn’t be the basis behind a ruling like this. If someone said no, it doesn’t mean anything.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2023, 07:34 AM   #244
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
In fairness, you’ve done a much better job of actually explaining your thoughts in attempt #2 here. Though, willing to invite a person into your home certainly shouldn’t be the basis behind a ruling like this. If someone said no, it doesn’t mean anything.
Yeah, I mean the number of people I'm willing to invite into my home is very low...that's an unreasonable bar to clear. Or maybe the other 7.99999999B people in this world who don't meet my personal threshold belong behind bars?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2023, 08:50 AM   #245
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Psi View Post
Uhhh...I have no kids and live in a studio apartment. One of the main reasons I live in a studio apartment is so I don't have to have a roommate and this way my family can't stay with me when they come to visit. Not sure I'm the barometer you want to use here.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2023, 09:18 AM   #246
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Uhhh...I have no kids and live in a studio apartment. One of the main reasons I live in a studio apartment is so I don't have to have a roommate and this way my family can't stay with me when they come to visit. Not sure I'm the barometer you want to use here.
you don't have kids and don't participate in moral panic your argument is invalid, I guess. Why have a nuanced discussion of the justice system and mental etc when you can do that instead.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 10:25 AM   #247
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

This seems to be a highly important statement from the assessment:

"Further, it appears that even when he is medicated he can decompensate. The deterioration of his mental health can be subtle and masked by other factors, and may not be obvious to the treatment team or appreciated by the appellant himself."

Given that statement, and the one about potential violence being of high severity, surely the only reasonable position is that he is not ready for release?
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 10:30 AM   #248
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
...live in a studio apartment. One of the main reasons I live in a studio apartment is so I don't have to have a roommate and this way my family can't stay with me when they come to visit.
Oh, I like this. Brilliant.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2023, 10:34 AM   #249
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Good call, maybe this is what I should've done. Similar mentality but did a 1 bedroom thinking that was sufficient, but that isn't stopping my mom from thinking she can spend a full week at my place instead of my sister's suburban 3 bedroom, 3 level house simply because "you're in such a fun spot! "...
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 01:44 PM   #250
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Good call, maybe this is what I should've done. Similar mentality but did a 1 bedroom thinking that was sufficient, but that isn't stopping my mom from thinking she can spend a full week at my place instead of my sister's suburban 3 bedroom, 3 level house simply because "you're in such a fun spot! "...
Mom's are the absolute worst!

fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 08:32 AM   #251
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

The Supreme Court has dismissed his appeal.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10358992/...grood-alberta/