Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2020, 10:24 AM   #1641
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
hey guys, last year I did a bike trip in south america and i finally put a video together about it if anyone is interested:
That was awesome, getting to see what you had put on the website come to life. And it just gives me the travel bug in a time where it just can't happen.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 10:36 AM   #1642
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
That was awesome, getting to see what you had put on the website come to life. And it just gives me the travel bug in a time where it just can't happen.
I think I want to do a bike packing trip for my 40th.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:15 AM   #1643
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

At the beginning of the year I joined a 3 month fitness challenge with a couple buddies. Even though I cycled a lot last year, I overcompensated with a terrible diet and beer (that part wasn't terrible, just mismanaged).

So I set out to ride my bike, mostly on the trainer since I work from home, everyday for 3 months. Sometimes I'd jump on a couple times a day if Zwift had an event going on.

So today is my first rest day in 3 months and it feels a little weird.

In 3 months I was on the bike for 126 hours in 125 rides. 4,335.3 km. Though that's inflated by probably 25% because trainer rides don't take wind, bumpy roads, traffic, stop signs, slowing for pedestrians into account and I likely wouldn't be receiving the draft benefit of as many group rides as I did on the trainer.

All said and done I'm down 30+lbs and 8.9% body fat. Looking forward to tackling Highwood Pass without having to drag those pounds up with me.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 10:25 AM   #1644
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow KTrain, that's incredible. Well done, looking at your Strava stats I just can't even comprehend, 1400km a month is insane to me. you mush be a twig now with tree trunk legs after dropping 30 lbs.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 11:07 AM   #1645
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

k-train that is some good mileage. for comparison i have logged 564k and my fat bike this year, and my weight is about the same.

Yesterday my wife was wondering if peleton sales have gone up recently.

last night i went out for a 23k spin over about 95 minutes and I think i saw about 6 people. it seemed very surreal riding in the evening with it being somewhat light outside - but overcast, so cold and seeing so few people. Traffic on the roads was also quite light.

Last year i was able to ride a little over 3,650 km - and right now I am tracking that way, but who knows if/when i will be getting in my 50k/day by riding to the office
Old 04-01-2020, 11:11 AM   #1646
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

KTrain, you made me want to crunch my stats for the first three months:

87 hours, 155 rides, 1662.44km in total.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 11:21 AM   #1647
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nice work Ktrain! Impressive.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 12:36 PM   #1648
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
KTrain, you made me want to crunch my stats for the first three months:

87 hours, 155 rides, 1662.44km in total.
That's impressive. Especially with the winter we've had. It hasn't been crazy cold like last February but it seems to still be bitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
k-train that is some good mileage. for comparison i have logged 564k and my fat bike this year, and my weight is about the same.

Yesterday my wife was wondering if peleton sales have gone up recently.

last night i went out for a 23k spin over about 95 minutes and I think i saw about 6 people. it seemed very surreal riding in the evening with it being somewhat light outside - but overcast, so cold and seeing so few people. Traffic on the roads was also quite light.

Last year i was able to ride a little over 3,650 km - and right now I am tracking that way, but who knows if/when i will be getting in my 50k/day by riding to the office
I wouldn't be surprised if Peloton sales have gone up. I know trainers have been flying off the shelf.

We should be able to get more daytime rides in with a lot of people working from home for the foreseeable future. If things slow down for my work, I know I'm going to be moving to a 4 day work week in late May or June so I can use a day for just riding.

Last edited by KTrain; 04-01-2020 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:32 AM   #1649
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

I thought I'd reach out to the CP Cycling Thinktank for this. My son is now 18 months old and I was thinking of getting something to attach to my bike to put him in and ride around. Based on my research so far, it looks like my only real option is a rear seat that sits on a mounting that I have to buy separately - not exact what I was thinking. So a few questions:

1) Anyone ever have one of these kid seats? Thoughts?
2) My bike is an older mountain bike, so is it reasonable to try and buy a more commuting type bike for this situation and the future that could accommodate a better seat? If so, any suggestions? This would not be used daily, but more like once a week for an hour or so I would guess (if I'm being honest with myself)

Thanks for any help in advance!
Old 04-06-2020, 12:00 PM   #1650
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hey MrKajz... ok so it's been many years since my 2 were small... we went straight for the Thule tow-behind carrier. Didn't want/like the rear seat that somehow attaches to your seatpost or frame, or even straddles the top tube. You have to think about stability during riding, if there are any accidents, how to stop quickly, how to get on/off the bike while they're on it, how to secure them, what to do with them during the lock up/unlock phase. Might be a bit much??? but perhaps you're already ok with all that.

The tow-behind worked great as easy to attach/detach for either parent, converted to a stroller, and also converted to XC ski pulk. When kid #2 came along we upgraded to the double size. Handled incredibly well, although you are very very long. And with so much space inside the kids carry a lot (or the wife puts too much into it too).
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 12:58 PM   #1651
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought a Chariot with the greatest of intentions of riding daily for daycare dropoff.... used it like 3x.

Moral of the story - buy used. Don't go nuts on spending.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 01:36 PM   #1652
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Buying used is the way to go. Especially for Chariots. They're great quality but still insanely priced. Most are like I-Hate-Hulse's. Gently used and lots of life left in them.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:53 PM   #1653
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just make sure they haven't been stored outside. The fabric on the outside deteriorates quickly if left outdoors.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:35 PM   #1654
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
I bought a Chariot with the greatest of intentions of riding daily for daycare dropoff.... used it like 3x.

Moral of the story - buy used. Don't go nuts on spending.

I ride. a lot. as in 5-6x weekly prior to Covid. So the Chariot got lots of use. We bought used and 5 years later I sold the single for the same price. Ditto for the double we had. Make sure you check all safety components carefully such as safety clips, straps, etc etc... sounds obvious, but many don't.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 05:58 PM   #1655
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Cycling Thread 2

We bought a single Chariot when kid #2 was 9 months old. Used it quite a bit, my wife would also bike to the zoo and then use it in stroller mode. Once the kids outgrew it about 9 years later, sold it for $450.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:45 PM   #1656
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are also a few different versions of chariots and all the accessories don’t work with all the versions. So understand the model number of buying used.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2020, 08:56 AM   #1657
pope04
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Those seats that attach anywhere to the frame are death traps.......I bought a Burley in '99. Went through 4 kids and it's still in pretty good shape, though very dated. I had a low-speed spill once and my daughter didn't even wake up.
pope04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:58 AM   #1658
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope04 View Post
Those seats that attach anywhere to the frame are death traps.......I bought a Burley in '99. Went through 4 kids and it's still in pretty good shape, though very dated. I had a low-speed spill once and my daughter didn't even wake up.
How are the kids though?
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:09 AM   #1659
pope04
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
How are the kids though?

Opinions vary...........
pope04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:40 AM   #1660
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was looking for some suggestions on how to make my bike a better cruising bike for around the neighbourhood. I don't do any off roading with it, the most 'extreme' I would do is on our rails to trails system which is hard packed dirt and gravel.

I've had it for a few years now and have done the following: Added a riser on the front handle bars, added bull bars, speedometer, changed to a less knobby tire. I've also learned how to adjust the derailleurs so it shifts much better now than when I bought it.

I don't remember what tires I have on it now but would like to go with even less knobs. I believe it came with 26x 2.0 but I went to a 26x1.9. I've been looking at the Kenda K838 for even less rolling resistance. Does anyone have any experience with these? https://www.amazon.com/Kenda-Slick-M...6273582&sr=8-8

I also plan on adding a mirror to the end of my left bar so I can see traffic. Now that the weather is getting nicer I've been trying to get out for 10km rides a few times a week. I live about an hour outside Halifax and my subdivision is quite good for riding with minimal traffic, but unfortunately lots of hills.

Any other suggestions on making it better for driving around?

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote