Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-23-2019, 11:49 AM   #2181
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Homes in Calgary have basements because the foundation has to be below the frost line.
Most likely what drives our requirements as well. Pilings would alleviate that.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:53 AM   #2182
Dynamic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Build a house that will be elderly/disabled friendly. You limit resale because people are obsessed with basements.

I'm all for slabs, add in floor heat and you've got a great efficient house.

Or dig a hole in the ground and try and keep water out for the rest of the homes life. Haha.

I get the pros of a basement, utilities, extra space on a smaller footprint. In my town the rule is a single family dwelling has to be built with a basement, you actually have to get an fight to build a slab. With all the ground water, heaving and cracking issues I've seen over the years, not to mention weeping tile that plugs over time, I just don't see basements as a must.

The older I get the more I want a slab. There are so many issues that can be avoided in a slab.
First of all I agree with you. Having a finished basement opens up yourself to a whole range of potential problems. If I was ever building the basement would stay undeveloped. I would rough in plumbing for resale value if I ever sold. If my current house ever has any basement moisture issues in the future everything is getting ripped out and it will stay that way.
Dynamic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:13 PM   #2183
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Most likely what drives our requirements as well. Pilings would alleviate that.
Apparently there is another way around it as well.

Quote:
In cold climates, a slab-on-grade can easily avoid frost heave with the simple addition of skirt insulation, which protects the perimeter of the footing so that it will never be subjected to the freeze/thaw cycle, and instead remain close to the relatively constant 8 -10 degrees Celsius temperatures of the earth.
https://www.ecohome.net/guides/2279/...chnical-guide/
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:39 AM   #2184
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I have tile in the bathroom, and the electrical outlet above the sink isn't screwed in properly. In fact there's nothing to screw it in to. Its held in place by the tile.

I've used liquid nails to try and keep the outlet flush and sturdy but that didn't work.

How do I fix this so the outlet doesn't jostle when plugging and unplugging devices?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:53 AM   #2185
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The box should have 2 tabs to screw into, I assume they are broken off? If it doesn't look to hard to get out, you could replace the box. I had to do that in my kitchen. A bit of a pain, but doable. Looks like there is enoguh space around the tile it should be possible. Turn off the power first!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 10:55 AM   #2186
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yeah, but $15,000 for a <300sqft deck that is literally just a flat surface with no railings and two steps off it is just more than I consider reasonable, especially since my situation doesnt require any digging whatsoever because it's being built on concrete, not dirt. I get that busy beaver has a good rep but I can't justify that.

Thanks for the suggestions I've received over PM. If anyone has any others lay em on me.
For reference here is the quote we received from Bender Hall

Details: Supply and install 219 square feet of PVC deck at the rear of the dwelling and install 4 stairs including concrete piles 4ft depth. Supply and install 48.5 lineal feet 42 5/8" hi black aluminum railing on the deck including each side of the stairs. Pressure treated 2x10 joidts, 2x10x3 laminated beam and 5 1/4 PVC decking. (please see attached warrenty information )

$10,100.00

After pricing it out and the fact its a basic rectangle deck I decided to build it myself, should be interesting.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:11 AM   #2187
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you can't get the box out, you could also take the outlet out so you have some space, then fill the entire gap with epoxy. Let it dry, then drill a pilot hole for the screw, and screw into the epoxy.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:12 AM   #2188
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
After pricing it out and the fact its a basic rectangle deck I decided to build it myself, should be interesting.
I'm still shopping for quotes. The best one I've got was about $7k for composite.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:16 AM   #2189
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The box should have 2 tabs to screw into, I assume they are broken off? If it doesn't look to hard to get out, you could replace the box. I had to do that in my kitchen. A bit of a pain, but doable. Looks like there is enoguh space around the tile it should be possible. Turn off the power first!
The issue appears to be that there's nothing for the box to attach to, so it's just kind of floating there.

Quote:
If you can't get the box out, you could also take the outlet out so you have some space, then fill the entire gap with epoxy. Let it dry, then drill a pilot hole for the screw, and screw into the epoxy.
What kind of epoxy would you use?

Old 05-29-2019, 11:27 AM   #2190
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I have tile in the bathroom, and the electrical outlet above the sink isn't screwed in properly. In fact there's nothing to screw it in to. Its held in place by the tile.

I've used liquid nails to try and keep the outlet flush and sturdy but that didn't work.

How do I fix this so the outlet doesn't jostle when plugging and unplugging devices?

There should be a joke there for a screw to go into, perhaps your screw is simply too short?

If so, find a longer screw, and you will need to put in some spacers to keep the plug from going too far back.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:33 AM   #2191
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
The issue appears to be that there's nothing for the box to attach to, so it's just kind of floating there.

What kind of epoxy would you use?
Sorry, misunderstanding the problem, the box itself is not fastened to anything? Ideally there would be a stud it could screw into. If there is absolutely nothing to attach to, you may be better using something like PL 600 and just surround the entire box with it. It will harden up and should secure it.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:06 PM   #2192
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

If there's really nothing to attach it to, you could rip the box out and use a rework box, like this:

https://www2.lowes.ca/product/electr...-clamps-264428

They're designed to mount only to the finished surface, though you'd need to find one that A) fits your cutout; and B) is large enough to fit the GFCI outlet you have there.

You'll find more options at an electrical supplier:

https://ebhorsman.com/category-items.php?cat=581212

I've bought things from them before without being an electrician or having an account.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 12:32 PM   #2193
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I was able to screw the box to a stud on the left of the outlet. It was never actually attached to anything, they installed it free floating.

It took some meandering, trial and error to get right, but now the outlet is firmly in place.

Thanks folks. My wife will be very happy with this result.

The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 12:35 PM   #2194
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice. You are now a Master Electrician.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 12:36 PM   #2195
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Nice. You are now a Master Electrician.
An insult to Master Electricians everywhere, haha.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:44 PM   #2196
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe the guy installed one of these, but the saddle fell off and went down the wall.

Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:09 AM   #2197
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

How do people feel about electric cordless mowers for a medium to small lawn? I'm considering getting electric because the vibrations from my gas mower are really killing my wrist (office worker whining sorry)
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:20 AM   #2198
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wear padded gloves.

I'd like to get a battery one, but I'm going to wait a few years for prices to come down, and all the bugs to be shaken out. To many companies coming out with their first or second generation right now to risk not being able to find a battery in 5 years.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:20 AM   #2199
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
How do people feel about electric cordless mowers for a medium to small lawn? I'm considering getting electric because the vibrations from my gas mower are really killing my wrist (office worker whining sorry)
I have a GreenWorks one and its fantastic. Battery works with other equipment too.

Big bonus for me is not having to deal with jerry cans and gas. My battery can get 3 full cuts of my lawn with the auto assist function being used often too.

However, are the vibrations from the shaking of the mower on the lawn or the actual gas engine?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:22 AM   #2200
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I have a GreenWorks one and its fantastic. Battery works with other equipment too.

Big bonus for me is not having to deal with jerry cans and gas. My battery can get 3 full cuts of my lawn with the auto assist function being used often too.

However, are the vibrations from the shaking of the mower on the lawn or the actual gas engine?
Feels like the engine. It's an older mower and it takes a while for my hands to stop being numb after using them. Gloves don't help.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote