Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2019, 01:09 PM   #21
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
Do the Flames win the cup if Edmonton doesn’t trade Gretzky?
I think so. They were better than Edmonton in the regular season in '88 and the '89 team was quite a bit better defensively than that one.

While Edmonton seemed to pick it up in the playoffs in the latter half of their dynasty, I think that Flames team would have learned from its mistakes in '88 and won this time around. It would have been a tough series, though.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2019, 01:18 PM   #22
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too nervous as a 13 year old to watch most games that playoffs.
So, played street hockey before dinner. Came in for dinner and had to go to soccer and it was 1-0 and first intermission.

Soccer game was at Frank Mcool, a distance where I could bike, but most parents stayednin cars listening to the game. Car honks meant Flames goals.

Our game ended about the same time and what a great feeling. 711 was giving out free Slurpees.

Then went home and got changed and went on the median of Acadia drive to elicit car horn honks. Then back after dark to watch the game on our Beta machine.

Some thoughts years later:
Why Peplinski and Hunter didn't at least put on jerseys to accept the Cup beyond me. Accepting in their underwear is crazy.

I had a flashback June 5 2004 game 6 to the opening goal May 28 1989. When Green batted puck down to Patterson at the line for the opening goal it reminded me of Boyle doing the same thing to Saprykin then Saprykin finding Nilson to tie the game up late in the second. Exact same bounce.

The goal the credited to Rick Green was nuts. More blatant goalie interference you cannot find.

Vernons first goal against was terrible. For all his solid play through the series and the game he'd have been roasted.

Dick Irvin was always insufferable, and this game and series was insufferable beyond comprehension. The resident Canadiens historian, sliding in facts about the Richards or times hen his dads coached there were bad enough, but his air of superiority was sickening. On the Gilmour late goal he said "sharp angle, good shot" with such a disspointed, bordering on indignant tone. That goal meant he could tear up the chapter in the Canadiens book he was probably writing, and would mean one less get together he could chum around with Canadiens alumni to tell them all about his dad in the 40s. And him saying that, when it was clear the Flames had won, "we have got cameras set up, in the city where the Flames come from" with an excited tone that this was some new technology. And in a tone that made one think the Flames came from the moon. For Irvin's small little eastern world he lived in, it may as well have been the moon.

Peter Maher was late on his final call as the buzzer went becuase Barkley was talking over that last faceoff.

MacInnis getting his trip to Disneyland. I think the first time a hockey player had done that.

The aftermath, Ron McLean dropping Anderson Road and Crowchild trial.

The end of the cbc broadcast and 2 and 7s. Both were on the DVD I created of that game and was purchased and watched by various members of CP back in summer 2003.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2019, 02:25 PM   #23
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_F.T.W View Post
They won on my 4th birthday which forever cemented me as a Flames fan
Awesome, it's my birthday too. Me, you and Ric Nattress!

Sent from my SM-T387W using Tapatalk
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shadowlord For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2019, 03:41 PM   #24
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The 1980s were a rollercoaster ride to be a Calgary sports fan. Lots of excitement as both cities got NHL franchises at the start of the decade, but the Oilers dynasty soon thereafter was a real kick in the pants. The 1986 run to the Cup was our close 'miracle on ice'. But then it didn't help that the Stampeders were in the depths of futility in the mid 80s as well. But then the 1988 Olympics picked things up again.

The Flames win in '89 was a nice ending to the decade and just felt like sweet justice to me - making up for years of abuse from family and friends who were Edmonton fans. Leaving aside the close call in round one, it felt like destiny after that. Doug Gilmour was the clutch guy that we seemed to be missing in the previous years, and savvy trades for veterans just made this a complete team.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:11 PM   #25
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post

The end of the cbc broadcast and 2 and 7s. Both were on the DVD I created of that game and was purchased and watched by various members of CP back in summer 2003.
I’d love to snag that video/file off of ya.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:41 AM   #26
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Old 05-26-2019, 07:52 AM   #27
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 05-26-2019, 04:00 PM   #28
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:
lanny <----- that's the guy!

EDIT: Poor quality photo removed

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 05-26-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:34 PM   #29
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ That was from the 25th year reunion, when they flew the whole team back into town. A better photo with the players in their jerseys (and Cliff in that horrible looking shirt, lol) from that event:

tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 12:26 PM   #30
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who's in between Hunter and Wamsley?
Who's in between Murzyn and Patterson? (back row)
Who's behind Nieuwendyk? (his right shoulder)

Last edited by cam_wmh; 05-27-2019 at 12:28 PM.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:01 PM   #31
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Who's in between Hunter and Wamsley?
Who's in between Murzyn and Patterson? (back row)
Who's behind Nieuwendyk? (his right shoulder)
Not sure about the other two, but the player in the back row is Rob Ramage, I believe.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:08 PM   #32
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was only 8, but remember that run surprisingly well. I remember, counting down the final seconds of the cup winning game tapping the tv with my face literally touching the screen, then running around the house like a lunatic.

It was a surreal moment, and one I have been waiting for 30 years to experience again.

It's depressing to think that in 30 years this franchise basically only came close once (albeit, that was damn close).
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:15 PM   #33
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Remember when CalgaryPuck member "browna" had DVDs made of the winning game and distributed them to fellow forum members?

Years later when my dad was dying of cancer and in the hospice, I smuggled in some beer and we watched that video together. Dad of course was heavily drugged up at the point, but it was a special moment we shared together.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 05:38 AM   #34
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
I was only 8, but remember that run surprisingly well. I remember, counting down the final seconds of the cup winning game tapping the tv with my face literally touching the screen, then running around the house like a lunatic.

It was a surreal moment, and one I have been waiting for 30 years to experience again.

It's depressing to think that in 30 years this franchise basically only came close once (albeit, that was damn close).
Well said. We are about the same age and it was a thrill seeing them win it, way better than 3 years earlier when my parents consoled me as I was crying in bed.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:58 AM   #35
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

My brother and I (neither alive in '89) used to obsessively watch the hour-long VHS of the Flames cup win when we were little. It's on YouTube now and we recently watched it after 15+ years. They aren't our own memories but it was definitely fun revisiting them- makes the desire to see them win the cup when I'm alive even stronger. I look forward to checking out the Sportsnet one when I get a chance.

Last edited by Hey Connor, It's Mess; 05-28-2019 at 08:10 PM.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:52 PM   #36
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

The first NHL game I remember watching..I remember cheering and running around the kitchen/living room in Edmonton with my cousins when CGY got the empty netter to seal it..though I admittedly was too young to be an actual Flames fan (I consider that to have happened a year or two later once we moved there), and we were just happy the Cup was staying in Alberta. Those were weird, 7 years old times..
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:07 PM   #37
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

I was 6.. my 16 year old sister ran in and told me to stop playing Super Mario 2.. The Flames won the STanley cup!

She took us down 17th ave in a car and didn't even have her license yet.

That's about all I remember, just the chaos..

Then my dad drove his red Honda prelude into the actual parade.. again, I had no idea wtf was going on or how we were in the parade. Nobody stopped him.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post: