Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-12-2019, 10:16 PM   #101
LouCypher
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Now I'm picking on you. lol, you're quite the victim.
I thought Calgarypuck was a better place then this.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
LouCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:20 PM   #102
LouCypher
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Being "floored" that the cops aren't aggressively following up from today's non incident (which was related to a more stern incident weeks ago by the same nomadic vagrant) is the tone of your post of which people in this thread are picking up and "piling on".
Im sorry if the tone of my post was misconstrued. Its not like I ever post things like this, i was shaken up by the incident and seeing him again and feeling like this could easily happen again. I would say in hindsight maybe I should have just kept this all to myself.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:23 PM   #103
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I said good morning to someone on the elevator today. Thanking my lucky stars the police weren’t called.
You're a god darn animal. You should be locked up.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:41 PM   #104
LouCypher
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Because he is a homeless guy out riding around everyday? How many people has he seen dozens of times?

I think you’re overreacting this time, sunshine.
I dont think you were actually there.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:45 PM   #105
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouCypher View Post
I dont think you were actually there.

Hockeyguy15 could be the homeless guy. I don’t judge.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 10:48 PM   #106
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was with you when the dude threw a rock.

But the day snide remarks by indigent vagrant passersby warrants a call to the Police, non-emergency or not, is the day the Terrorists win.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 10:56 PM   #107
LouCypher
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I was with you when the dude threw a rock.

But the day snide remarks by indigent vagrant passersby warrants a call to the Police, non-emergency or not, is the day the Terrorists win.
Its not like im reporting him for making a comment. I think this is being really misunderstood. I called to follow up because I saw him and was somewhat ignorant to the fact that there couldnt be anything he could be charged with for throwing the rock. In my thinking if he could be charged would it not make sense to call the police to say I saw him. After they said he couldn't be charged my expectations changed to knowing nothing will happen and if he does it again as I have mentioned I see him frequently then what im I to do. It was my bad for thinking something more could be done.

Last edited by LouCypher; 09-12-2019 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:57 PM   #108
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Hockeyguy15 could be the homeless guy. I don’t judge.
Hockeyguy15 may be a homeless guy, but the odds of him being the homeless guy? Astronomical!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-12-2019, 11:01 PM   #109
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like its time for some vigilante justice. Next time he rides by beat him to the punch and say " Hey, buddy" all snarky like.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:02 PM   #110
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouCypher View Post
Its not like im reporting him for making a comment. I think this is being really misunderstood. I called to follow up because I saw him and was somewhat ignorant to the fact that there couldnt be anything he could be charged with for throwing the rock. In my thinking if he could be charged would it not make sense to call the police to say I saw him. After they said he couldn't be charged my expectations changed to knowing nothing will happen and if he does it again as I have mentioned I see him frequently then what im I to do. It was my bad for thinking something more could be done.

Just remember....if something happens to him...hes homeless...who is going to report him missing?

Who will remember?

CalgaryPuck remembers...

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 11:02 PM   #111
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
"Recently, while out for a walk in Nose Hill Park, in broad daylight on a paved trail, two young men approached my wife and me. The men stepped in front of us, then said in a very aggressive tone: 'Been to the Stampede yet?'" he wrote.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dail...171104507.html
Awesome.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:03 PM   #112
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Just remember....if something happens to him...hes homeless...who is going to report him missing?

Who will remember?

CalgaryPuck remembers...
Never seen Hobo with a Shotgun, have you?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:10 PM   #113
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Never seen Hobo with a Shotgun, have you?
Yeah...and Rutger Hauer is gone...

Old 09-12-2019, 11:25 PM   #114
LouCypher
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I said good morning to someone on the elevator today. Thanking my lucky stars the police weren’t called.
Next time you could try throwing a rock at them too, you're not trying hard enough.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:27 PM   #115
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

For what it is worth (and at risk of really stirring the pot) throwing a rock at someone because you are mad is 100% textbook assault with a weapon in the Criminal Code.

In fact holding a rock up in a menacing manner making a person reasonably apprehend you are going to throw it at them is still an assault in law. Throwing it is not even required.

And while we are at it, aggressively accosting someone for a cigarette while carrying an enforcer rock can also fit squarely in the definition of a criminal assault:

Quote:
Assault

265 (1) A person commits an assault when

(a) without the consent of another person, he applies force intentionally to that other person, directly or indirectly;

(b) he attempts or threatens, by an act or a gesture, to apply force to another person, if he has, or causes that other person to believe on reasonable grounds that he has, present ability to effect his purpose; or

(c) while openly wearing or carrying a weapon or an imitation thereof, he accosts or impedes another person or begs.
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/...7.html#docCont

Not advocating every technical assault should be full on investigated by police but all the references (including apparently from the police) that police can’t do anything about someone throwing a rock at you if they miss are quite baffling for how wrong they are.
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MBates For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 11:40 PM   #116
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBates View Post
For what it is worth (and at risk of really stirring the pot) throwing a rock at someone because you are mad is 100% textbook assault with a weapon in the Criminal Code.

In fact holding a rock up in a menacing manner making a person reasonably apprehend you are going to throw it at them is still an assault in law. Throwing it is not even required.

And while we are at it, aggressively accosting someone for a cigarette while carrying an enforcer rock can also fit squarely in the definition of a criminal assault:

Not advocating every technical assault should be full on investigated by police but all the references (including apparently from the police) that police can’t do anything about someone throwing a rock at you if they miss are quite baffling for how wrong they are.
I don’t think anyone here is disputing the Rock throwing as assault. They’re all getting their jollies on the OP for spotting the perp a second time as he rode by

Seriously, if you want something done, you may have to take things into your own hands. Just be prepared to never walk the same route again
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:58 PM   #117
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
I don’t think anyone here is disputing the Rock throwing as assault. They’re all getting their jollies on the OP for spotting the perp a second time as he rode by

Seriously, if you want something done, you may have to take things into your own hands. Just be prepared to never walk the same route again
I guess I was reading people suggesting there was nothing the police could do because the second encounter was just someone being rude as missing the point that this was a person being rude to an individual he had previously criminally assaulted. The police could absolutely intervene and arrest and charge the guy...not for the sunshine comment but for the assault with a weapon that was previously reported and not yet addressed.

The police are the first to tell someone not to take such matters into their own hands yet according to the poster when he did report it they said they couldn’t do anything because he wasn’t hurt. That is a very odd position for the police to take if that is what they in fact said.
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MBates For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 12:34 AM   #118
LouCypher
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I guess I was reading people suggesting there was nothing the police could do because the second encounter was just someone being rude as missing the point that this was a person being rude to an individual he had previously criminally assaulted. The police could absolutely intervene and arrest and charge the guy...not for the sunshine comment but for the assault with a weapon that was previously reported and not yet addressed.

The police are the first to tell someone not to take such matters into their own hands yet according to the poster when he did report it they said they couldn’t do anything because he wasn’t hurt. That is a very odd position for the police to take if that is what they in fact said.
Thanks for your posts. I would say I am puzzled as to why the police would have said that there isnt anything he could be charged with. It goes without saying that my calls to them have been recorded. I know people can only take my word for it. I have no reason to exaggerate or make anything up. I have done my best to report things as accurately as I can. When I say the guy said hey sunshine to me I am simply reporting a fact, their wasnt any complaint being filed because he said something to me as he passed by. I made the call for the very reasons you mention. This is the first time seeing him since it happened. I thought it best to call the police to follow up on the orginal incident. Before seeing him I had hoped he wasnt around this area anymore. I have enough reason to believe he knows exactly what he did otherwise why even acknowledge me as I walk by. The way he said hey sunshine felt to me like he was being cocky, this was not a friendly greeting by any means. His tone anytime he has panhandled me before has been to the point of being demanding. I would rather mind my business and be left alone as anyone should walking to and from work in their own area. I tolerate quite a bit, I understand this city is like most others. Ive lived here a very long time and grew up here. Ive seen things change and I understand the police are stretched thin.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:29 AM   #119
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

FWIW: Can they do anything about it if nobody, including the victim, actually saw the person holding or throwing the rock?
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:36 AM   #120
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Given my experience and understanding with how folks generally misinterpret what they are told by 'the police' (read, usually an ECO), he likely wouldn't have been told that police "couldn't do anything" but that unless he was willing to do something with the complaint, there was limited action police could take.

In the case of the OP, most times people are calling about this sort of thing they expect 'the Police' to just take their word for it and go off and arrest and jail the bad guy on their say-so, with no action other than the phone call to go on. Most folks don't seem to realize that police can't just act on their word and say-so and generally get upset when they have to be involved in the process beyond the single phone call.

If the OP called to report the assault, and wanted to see CPS when it happened, a unit should have been dispatched to come talk to him about it. As the offender would have left the scene by then, the police would have taken his statement and circulated around looking for the guy. If he didn't want to see CPS/give a statement, police likely would have circulated around and if they saw someone throwing rocks told them not to.

If he didn't see CPS/report the assault itself, there is nothing really to 'follow up on' when he sees the guy again calling him Sunshine other than the guy is existing, and not throwing rocks today. If he did report the assault, he can call police and tell them he sees the offender, and police would likely once again attend the scene and attempt to find the bad guy.

But many folks who call about things seem to think that they can just call police, tell them something happened and with no further action on their part, police will just take their word for it, find the bad person and haul them off to jail. The system just doesn't work like that, and they tend to get upset when they realize there is more involved than 'just' a phone call to police, who then 'aren't doing/won't do anything about it'.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 09-13-2019 at 07:39 AM.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post: