Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2017, 07:42 AM   #721
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

The NHL gets the high sticking goal right, we're not having this conversation...easy as that!!
Old 04-18-2017, 07:45 AM   #722
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Didn't sleep very well. Woke up early. Still depressed.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drak For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 07:49 AM   #723
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
The first goal was a horrendous rebound, the second was Elliott watching the scrum at the bench instead of the play, and the fourth was a clear shot that went right through him.

Elliott, more than all other factors combined, is why our season is virtually over.
And the OT winner was a low shot from the hash-marks on the boards that he for some reason kicks right out front to go off stone and in.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:52 AM   #724
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
you probably can't start Elliott next game. can't see him back with this team.
How many goalies are going to get run out of this city before Sigalet is shown the door?
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to HotHotHeat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 07:56 AM   #725
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
How many goalies are going to get run out of this city before Sigalet is shown the door?

Bring in a proven #1 goalie and get rid of Sigalet. I'm sick of these half measures to address the goaltending position. Elliott had never proven himself as an outright consistent #1 goalie. St. Louis continually didn't put their faith in him, and now we fully understand why.

Fix the freaking goaltending. If we had average goaltending, we have a 2-1 series lead. Instead, we have what we have and we are where we are.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:59 AM   #726
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still sucks in the morning...

However, at least it was nice to see that the Flames responded really well after game 1. They were unquestionably the better skating team in game 2, and for most of game 3 made Anaheim look like a bunch of has-been's who have no business being on the same ice.

Good teams find a way to win, and often a young team goes through growing pains trying to learn this.

It was still deflating goaltending, and a run of bad luck that really destroyed the Flames' hope. We at least all saw what this team CAN be capable of, and this is still a young team that should be improving.

No idea how they come out for game 4. I hope they come out like they did last night. Give it their all. The series isn't over until it is over, but this is essentially the closest you come to without it being official. I at least want to see the character of this team shine through and put in a very hard effort.

As for all the Gaudreau talk, this isn't on him. He had moments where he was really good, moments where he wasn't. Monahan was very impressive I thought - his best consecutive games as a Flame. With the exception of Versteeg, nobody upped their game more than he did. Bennett I felt got better and better as well. Ferland was a beast, but a snakebitten one unfortunately.

Flames just need to have more guys take that proverbial step and give more support and more options for this team when opposing teams focus-in on Gaudreau. I have said it in the past, but Monahan will be the most important forward on this team, and it will be him that stirs the drink. Bennett will improve, and if he ever comes close to reaching that potential he has, this team is going to be so difficult to handle.

Ducks were bigger, dirtier, and more experienced, yet it has really been the Flames that have imposed their will physically, at least outside of the first game.

Those are the positives.

I don't want to drag Elliott through the mud here, but this team will look beastly as is with a more consistent goaltender. That will change a lot, and hopefully add a bit more of that swagger, that resiliency that the 2015 version had in spades. It was never about being 'unsustainable'. It was a heck of a lot of moxy. I think they will get a lot of that back with a quality, reliable goaltender that plays all year consistently.

One thing I am personally looking forward to next game is Bennett beating Kesler up. It is coming I think.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 08:01 AM   #727
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing that killed me was that the team really kept everything to the outside and Elliott still couldn't make a save.

Goal 1: Was from the boards at the top of the circle with little traffic and he couldn't catch it clean.

Goal 2: Was from the Boards at about the top hashmarks - needs to be able to make that save even with a slight deflection.

Goal 3: Tip that he can't be blamed on.

Goal 4: Was from the point at the dead center of the ice, honestly doesn't look deflected at all to me. Just beats him clean and he needs to catch that.

Goal 5: Was another soft wrister from the boards at the bottom hashmarks. Sure Stone shouldn't get backed in there but Elliott should never be putting that rebound right out to the center of the ice anyways.

Was looking at the shot location charts and the Flames gave up absolutely no shots from the middle of the ice. Everything was from the outside or the point and Elliott still let in 5 goals - it's ridiculous.

http://hockeystats.ca/game/2016030173#collapseTwo
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 08:06 AM   #728
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

He was awful, case closed. Don't want him back now under any circumstance. Need a solid goalie, re-sign Stone and this should be a 100 point team next year.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 08:06 AM   #729
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can't see him being here to start next season.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:07 AM   #730
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
The thing that killed me was that the team really kept everything to the outside and Elliott still couldn't make a save.

Goal 1: Was from the boards at the top of the circle with little traffic and he couldn't catch it clean.

Goal 2: Was from the Boards at about the top hashmarks - needs to be able to make that save even with a slight deflection.

Goal 3: Tip that he can't be blamed on.

Goal 4: Was from the point at the dead center of the ice, honestly doesn't look deflected at all to me. Just beats him clean and he needs to catch that.

Goal 5: Was another soft wrister from the boards at the bottom hashmarks. Sure Stone shouldn't get backed in there but Elliott should never be putting that rebound right out to the center of the ice anyways.

Was looking at the shot location charts and the Flames gave up absolutely no shots from the middle of the ice. Everything was from the outside or the point and Elliott still let in 5 goals - it's ridiculous.

http://hockeystats.ca/game/2016030173#collapseTwo
Wait, I'm confused. You said no shots from the middle, yet I count 6 shots from the slot or closer, 2 of which went in.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:08 AM   #731
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He's definitely a guy that management needs to take a look at. The role of a goaltending coach is to work with goaltenders to get the best out of them and it seems like every goaltender that suits up for the Flames performs worse than his career norms. Does the team really want to bring MAF or Bishop and roll the dice with the same goaltending coach that hasn't been able to get the best out of the last four veteran goaltenders he's worked with? There's a fine line between loyalty and stubbornness and I'm hoping the team is willing to make the difficult decision to let go of a coach that they like but hasn't got the job done.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 04-18-2017 at 08:10 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:09 AM   #732
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Backbreaking loss.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:13 AM   #733
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

No kicks while you're down from me - that loss is a tough one to swallow as a fan. The highs, when they do come, are that much sweeter because of losses like that one.
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ruttiger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 08:14 AM   #734
Crumpy-Gunt
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Anaheim Lucks
Crumpy-Gunt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crumpy-Gunt For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 08:16 AM   #735
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He's definitely a guy that management needs to take a look at. The role of a goaltending coach is to work with goaltenders to get the best out of them and it seems like every goaltender that suits up for the Flames performs worse than his career norms. Does the team really want to bring MAF or Bishop and roll the dice with the same goaltending coach that hasn't been able to get the best out of the last four veteran goaltenders he's worked with? There's a fine line between loyalty and stubbornness and I'm hoping the team is willing to make the difficult decision to let go of a coach that they like but hasn't got the job done.
It's not even a difficult decision. It's a goaltending coach who hasn't had any semblance of success in the NHL.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:16 AM   #736
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I hate to pile on Elliott, he probably slept worse than I did. But nobody would be talking about the team letting this slip away, or getting on their heels if he makes a couple more saves.

The team totally dominated for the first half of the game, but even after that it wasn't like they were getting owned, with tons of great chances given up. They actually did a pretty good job of keeping it 50/50 hockey or better. Very rarely does a team totally dominate from start to finish.

The team did get tight after the high stick goal, and at that point they were very worried about Elliott.

If Elliott plays even average, we are talking about a dominating win and a totally different series. I really don't put much resposibity on the rest of the team in this game.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:16 AM   #737
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
The NHL gets the high sticking goal right, we're not having this conversation...easy as that!!
Pretty much bang on. The game was all but over with 9 minutes left, even with Elliot playing spotty in net. It's unfair to pin everything on him as he and the team were all clearly rattled by what transpired. It's quite unfortunate the team couldn't regroup and salvage what had been an exceptional effort to that point.

Moving forward, I'm certainly going to be thinking twice about spending my money on NHL games when the league is becoming so bush league with the way it conducts its reviews and allows its officials to call games. That Thompson goal should never even been signaled a goal as it was so blatantly a high stick. The ref should have waived it off and gone to review. End of story. The fact the league still let this slip through the cracks as "inconclusive" is just the icing on the cake.

Not only is the fat guy sitting on you, he has now removed his pant and farted directly on your face. Thanks for ruining what could have been a great series NHL.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 04-18-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hot_Flatus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 08:18 AM   #738
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
Wait, I'm confused. You said no shots from the middle, yet I count 6 shots from the slot or closer, 2 of which went in.
Those two that went in were the direct result of Elliott tossing out muffins. If he doesn't blow the easy shot from out wide, those follow-up chances never happen.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:19 AM   #739
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
It's not even a difficult decision. It's a goaltending coach who hasn't had any semblance of success in the NHL.
I agree but I also feel he should have been let go last season and a year later we are still discussing his future with the team. They haven't shown any indication that they are unhappy with his work.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:19 AM   #740
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Boy oh boy oh boy.

The flames will dance with the one that brung 'em for game 4 but that is a mistake at this point.

Johnson is worse but Elliott is going to sink this series in 4 games.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote