Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 12:46 AM   #461
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know under what circumstances a team would do this, but with this rental so early, you could flip him again at the deadline.

Of course by then it would mean you are probably not happy with the player at the end of Feb and or have upheaved your team negatively the prior two months, but, you could still get a return similar then to what you gave up to get him now, or better.

Sort of like a trial/buyers remorse period, which is very intriguing. He has no NTC to get in the way of a future flip.

We will know by the holiday roster freeze Thursday.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:34 AM   #462
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

^ that happened with Thomas Vanek in 2013-14. Dealt from Buffalo to NYI early in the season then to Montreal at the trade deadline when it wasn't working out for the Islanders.

The Islanders didn't get much for Vanek, if I remember correctly. Far less than what they paid.

Old 12-16-2019, 02:52 AM   #463
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
^ that happened with Thomas Vanek in 2013-14. Dealt from Buffalo to NYI early in the season then to Montreal at the trade deadline when it wasn't working out for the Islanders.

The Islanders didn't get much for Vanek, if I remember correctly. Far less than what they paid.
Gave up Matt Moulson + 1st + 2nd and then got Collberg and a 2nd for Vanek + 5th? Ouch, was Chiarelli on staff?

Quote:
  • 2013-Oct-27 Traded from Buffalo Sabres to New York Islanders for Matt Moulson, round 1 pick in the 2015 draft (Colin White) and round 2 pick in the 2015 draft (Brendan Guhle)
  • 2014-Mar-05 Traded from New York Islanders with round 5 pick in the 2014 draft (Nikolas Koberstein) to Montreal Canadiens for Sebastian Collberg and round 2 pick in the 2014 draft (Johnathan MacLeod)
Old 12-16-2019, 06:45 AM   #464
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bennett + Frolik for Hall as a rental and a conditional 3rd, 2nd if the flames make the finals or 2nd if he re-signs or 1st if the Flames make the finals and he re-signs.

This has the complexity that Brad looks for in his picks, has minimal impact on disrupting the chemistry now (given that Bennett has been out for this winning streak) and is likely the best offer that NJ has received (based on what I have read). For NJ, they get a former 4th overall with team control and a 3rd for a rental that they can sell to the fan base. I think you can play around with the 3rd (i.e. could be Philips, Gillies etc. or other B-level prospect).
Old 12-16-2019, 06:51 AM   #465
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I assume he's going to miss his 3rd game tonight? Maybe it's me but I find it kind of lame to hold a player out for this long when you don't even had a deal close to being finalized. The organization does owe it to their fans and season ticket holders to ice the best team possible. I hope we don't see a lot more of this going forward.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 06:53 AM   #466
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's obvious that Devils are not getting the offers they were hoping for. Big part of it could be that the rumour is Hall won't sign an extension, driving down the price. I'm just wondering what New jersey does with him if he is not traded by xmas freeze? Do they put him back in lineup? Do they have to bite the bullet and take the best trade offer , even if they are not happy with it?
Old 12-16-2019, 07:03 AM   #467
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Weird that they had him sit out on Friday and the whole weekend passed with no news. Wonder if a team got permission to work out an extension after all?

Is Arizona still the front runner?
Old 12-16-2019, 07:05 AM   #468
foofighter15
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I assume he's going to miss his 3rd game tonight? Maybe it's me but I find it kind of lame to hold a player out for this long when you don't even had a deal close to being finalized. The organization does owe it to their fans and season ticket holders to ice the best team possible. I hope we don't see a lot more of this going forward.
Not a fan of this either. IF he's going to get healthy scratched for this then it should be when the league is finalizing/reviewing the trade.

In reality though the Devils are looking at protecting their key assest AND getting a better chance at Alexis Lafreniere
Old 12-16-2019, 07:18 AM   #469
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Speaking as someone who has done the same as I battle a whole host of mental health yuckyness... I understand your pain. We're all on the same side here and you're a very good poster. I and others would miss your insights if you left.
Not to mention the frog. As far as I am concerned, you and he are synonymous with CP as much as puppet guy, Sureloss, Gaskal, AC, Zamler, Cali Panthers Fan, and any other legendary posters I forgot to mention (apologies to those posters). Hang in there, my man!
Old 12-16-2019, 07:47 AM   #470
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
Bennett + Frolik for Hall as a rental and a conditional 3rd, 2nd if the flames make the finals or 2nd if he re-signs or 1st if the Flames make the finals and he re-signs.

This has the complexity that Brad looks for in his picks, has minimal impact on disrupting the chemistry now (given that Bennett has been out for this winning streak) and is likely the best offer that NJ has received (based on what I have read). For NJ, they get a former 4th overall with team control and a 3rd for a rental that they can sell to the fan base. I think you can play around with the 3rd (i.e. could be Philips, Gillies etc. or other B-level prospect).
That would be laughably bad for the Devils LOL

He'll get a first round pick + at the deadline as a rental easy.

With a number of months to go in the season, he's worth even more.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:57 AM   #471
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
They don’t play until Wednesday so I think a deal gets done before then.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:03 AM   #472
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Listened to Boomer and Commadore talking about Hall this morning. Boomer basically said there is less than 10% chance the Flames get Hall.

He was mocking those by offering Czarnik, Frolik etc but then makes an idiot out of himself by saying they likely want Tkachuk. Taylor Hall’s return will look a lot closer to spare parts than 21 year old superstars.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 12-16-2019, 08:10 AM   #473
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Listened to Boomer and Commadore talking about Hall this morning. Boomer basically said there is less than 10% chance the Flames get Hall.

He was mocking those by offering Czarnik, Frolik etc but then makes an idiot out of himself by saying they likely want Tkachuk. Taylor Hall’s return will look a lot closer to spare parts than 21 year old superstars.
I love those trade offers. If only the Flames still had Stajan and Brouwer to throw in. Maybe reacquire Sven to throw in. Who could pass those up?
Old 12-16-2019, 08:16 AM   #474
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I love those trade offers. If only the Flames still had Stajan and Brouwer to throw in. Maybe reacquire Sven to throw in. Who could pass those up?
We could get Taylor Hall for a run let’s make sure we offer our best player with a 3 year contract and at least one more year of team control to ensure we can get him for 47 games and then have a chance to pay him more money than we would the younger, better player.

At least Will brought yo pieces like Valimaki, Dube etc. in my opinion the point gets lost when someone swings the pendulum too far in the other direction.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:16 AM   #475
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
It has been said that Hall won't sign a deal during the season. It has also been said that no team has been given permission to speak to Hall, and maybe no team has even asked for permission to do so.

With those two key pieces of information we can safely assume that when he does get traded that the return will not be very much and fans of the 29 other teams will be saying "That's all it took? We could have done better than that!".

It's been speculated that Hall won't sign an extension and will wait to test free agency based on the past history of his agent who believes this is the best approach.

If that is true, one would have to think that any deal for Hall might be underwhelming but include conditions that would significantly improve the return should Hall end up signing with the team that trades for him.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:17 AM   #476
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
You're one of the biggest bennett boosters on this board, but you dont think hes a valuable asset in a trade for a mercurial superstar who has already essentially guaranteed he is testing FA in ~6months?

Bennett +kylington is a great offer
Old 12-16-2019, 08:20 AM   #477
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
You're one of the biggest bennett boosters on this board, but you dont think hes a valuable asset in a trade for a mercurial superstar who has already essentially guaranteed he is testing FA in ~6months?

I honestly have no problem offering those players for a signed Hall but would avoid it on a rental.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 08:25 AM   #478
flamesfan55
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post

I think he was more stating this would be there ask rather then spare parts.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:42 AM   #479
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

LeBrun says the Panthers are out at the moment:

Pierre LeBrun @PierreVLeBrun
Things could change, but what I'm hearing this morning is that the Florida Panthers are no longer in the mix on Taylor Hall. I think their interest was tied to the idea of signing him or at least thinking they could eventually sign him... otherwise too big a price for a rental

Pierre LeBrun @PierreVLeBrun
now if the price lowers... maybe Florida could get back, that's why you never say never. Overall, have heard from other teams who hope to get an answer soon from NJ as to where this is headed. They don't want it to drag on too long
Old 12-16-2019, 08:54 AM   #480
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post

I agree.

A late first isn't much value to NJ at this point, they need players that they can start to surround Hughes, Hischer, and this years top 5 pick with.

Bennett, and Kylington gives then two young players that are already NHL players right now. They are both the type of players you likely are drafting with a 20-30 overall first rounder but are actually ready to play now instead of waiting 3-4 years.

IMO It's a great start to an offer for rental Hall.
Closed Thread