Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2019, 11:00 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default Aliu blackface incident with the Colorado Eagles

https://www.wsj.com/articles/blackfa...ey-11576082222

Quote:
Akim Aliu had been a member of the Colorado Eagles, a minor-league hockey team, for just a small part of the season in 2011 when he received an invitation to the team’s Halloween party. The team’s players, staff, management and even their families would be there.

A couple of days before the party, the Nigerian-born player was told to “come a little bit later,” he says. He didn’t think much of it, until he walked in and poured himself a beer.

That’s when he says the team’s head equipment manager, Tony Deynzer, appeared from behind a corner. Deynzer was in blackface, wearing an Afro-style wig and a jersey that had been custom-made with Aliu’s jersey number and nickname, “DREAMER,” emblazoned on the back.

Two years earlier, a coach for a different team, Bill Peters, had used a racial slur against Aliu, which resulted in Peters resigning from the Calgary Flames a decade later when Aliu brought it to light last month. In the moment at the Halloween party, he says, partygoers exhorted Aliu and Deynzer to pose in a picture together. Deynzer smiled. Aliu didn’t. In the background of one of the pictures, an infant crawled on the floor nearby.

“Guys just started laughing,” Aliu says. “All I can do is tell my story.”
Quote:
Aliu says that what troubled him most about the incident at the Halloween party was how calculated it felt. In addition to the blackface and wig worn by Deynzer, Aliu felt he had been told to arrive late just to set up the racist taunt. And the jersey, with Aliu’s nickname on it, had to be custom made.

Aliu posed for the picture, opting not to cause a scene because families, including children, were present. He says he didn’t see anyone else who was black at the party, and he felt trapped. He was in shock, he said, and didn’t fully realize the gravity of the moment until he called his brother immediately afterward.

“I didn’t even grasp the idea of how vicious of a thing that is to do,” Aliu says.

Aliu played only 10 games for the team. In the weeks after the incident, he asked for a trade, which at first was denied. His stress grew so severe after what took place that he says he was hospitalized.

News Update

Ryan S. Clark @ryan_s_clark
Colorado Eagles trainer Tony Deynzer has been placed on an administrative leave of absence by the Colorado Avalanche.

The news comes after Akim Aliu spoke with the Wall Street Journal about how Deynzer dressed in blackface back in 2011 at a Halloween Party. #Avs

https://twitter.com/user/status/1204863136630657024

Last edited by sureLoss; 12-11-2019 at 01:55 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 11:04 AM   #2
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Brutal.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:05 AM   #3
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Disgusting
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to me_dennis For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 11:06 AM   #4
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

#### hockey culture jesus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 11:11 AM   #5
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

How dumb are these people? I don't get why it would ever be considered humorous, especially in 2011..
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #6
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

What the actual f***.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 11:15 AM   #7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
#### hockey culture jesus.
This is not hockey culture, it’s just pure evil racism.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:15 AM   #8
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What the actual ####?!
Cycling76er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:15 AM   #9
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

holy ####. Disgusting.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:17 AM   #10
Franchise Player

Exp:

You wonder if Iggy ever had to deal with this crap. I’m sure he did but just took the high road and channeled it ito beating the crap out of guys on the ice and becoming one of the best players in the game.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:18 AM   #11
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tony still their equipment manager, I bet he's in hot water today.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:20 AM   #12
EM11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is so brutal and depressing. Where are all those posters who said that one incident could not derail his entire career? What about now? How does a player perform to his potential after dealing with something like this?
EM11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:20 AM   #13
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I hope Tony has been crapping his pants and stressing the F out for the last two weeks just waiting for this to come out. Sounds like he deserves it.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 11:21 AM   #14
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
You wonder if Iggy ever had to deal with this crap. I’m sure he did but just took the high road and channeled it ito beating the crap out of guys on the ice and becoming one of the best players in the game.
I don't know about Iggy, but I imagine "the boys" didn't give Fuhr the nickname Coco because he liked hot chocolate.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 11:22 AM   #15
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Came for the Trudeau joke. Will come back later.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:23 AM   #16
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is horrible.

In recent memory this is the most malicious use of blackface I've seen. This isn't the situation where it's just an ignorant mistake because you were dressing up as somebody famous for halloween.

This was a calculated plan to isolate a member of the team and make fun of him.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:25 AM   #17
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
But everybody on the team was there? They all knew about it all this time and did nothing?

Shouldn't it be more than just him in hot water?
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 11:26 AM   #18
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

That's beyond terrible.

Can't imagine how trapped he felt at that moment. And then realizing you're the only person of colour in that room. Just gut wrenching.
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:27 AM   #19
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

This goes beyond the equipment manager too. Why does nobody stand up to this crap?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 11:30 AM   #20
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I dealt with a lot of racism in hockey. At one point I gave up and stopped playing cause it was mental torture. One of my family members knew the GM of the Flames at the time and asked if Iggy would sit down for a few minutes with me to chat about being a colored hockey player. The amazing person Iggy is he agreed to the request. I didn't know about all of this until the day I met him. We talked over a glass a milk, he told me some of the things he went through, and some of them were worse than my stories. But he used those negatives to drive him and not give up. I ended up doing the same. I definitely didn't come close to a career that he had, but I didn't give up on the game I love due to ignorance of others. I'm glad hockey is having it's reckoning.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 250 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy For This Useful Post:
1_Flames_Fan, 442scotty, activeStick, afc wimbledon, anyonebutedmonton, apiquard, Art Vandelay, ASP#26525, badger89, Bagor, belsarius, BeltlineFan, ben voyonsdonc, Beninho, Ben_in_Canada, Biff, bigdl, BigRed, BlackArcher101, BloodFetish, bluejays, Bobblehead, Boblobla, Bohica, Boreal, Browndog71, bubbsy, Burner, burn_baby_burn, burn_this_city, calculoso, calf, Calgary4LIfe, calgarybornnraised, Cali Panthers Fan, cam_wmh, Captain Hair, CedarMeter, Charcot, chummer, Clever_Iggy, Coach, codynw, Cole436, Con-Roy!, corporatejay, Cowboy89, crapshoot, CrazyCaper, CroFlames, CrunchBite, CRXguy, CSharp, Cuz, D as in David, DaQwiz, dash_pinched, davidus_49, Delthefunky, DeluxeMoustache, Demaeon, devel, devo22, dino7c, dissentowner, djsFlames, Doctorfever, Domoic, Don't Toews Me Bro, Dube, dustygoon, DynamRyan, Enoch Root, Envitro, FanIn80, fastpuck, FBI, Fighting Banana Slug, Firebot, firebug, Flame On, FlameFan21, FlamesFanInOilCountry, flamesgod, FLAMESRULE, flamesrule_kipper34, Flamezzz, Flashpoint, FlatLandFlamesFan, Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration, flylock shox, foofighter15, ForeverFlameFan, Frank MetaMusil, Funkhouser, Fuzz, Galakanokis, Gallick, Gaskal, getbak, Glassplat, GoFlamesGo89, GreenHardHat, GreenLantern2814, Greybeard, greyshep, GullFoss, habernac, Harry Lime, HitterD, Homeslice, I-Hate-Hulse, IamNotKenKing, ignite, IgnitedSoul, indes, InglewoodFan, Insufficient Funds, Irvir, It's a great day 4 hockey, Itse, jaikorven, jayswin, Jetfire, jg13, Jiggy_12, Jiri Hrdina, jkflames, Joborule, JohnnyBeGood, kermitology, KevanGuy, KevinKlineReadingABook, kipperiggy, kkaleR, kman35ca, Knut, kobasew19, La Flames Fan, Locke, Looch City, looooob, Luder, Machiavelli, mac_82, Madrox, manwiches, Mass_nerder, Matata, Mattington, Mazrim, mdubz, metroneck, MikePatton, mikephoen, minnow, mivdo, MolsonInBothHands, Money23, MRCboicgy, MrMike, mynameisnino, N-E-B, Nabber, Nandric, Neeper, nobesey, no_joke, OldDutch, OldSam, oldschoolcalgary, P-DAZZLE, P-Rugby, PegCityFlamesFan, Plett Me Tell You, pope04, Poster, powderjunkie, Press Level, PsYcNeT, PugnaciousIntern, Radio, rayne008, redflamesfan08, redforever, RedHotC, Resolute 14, Rhettzky, robertsfanatic, Robo, Roger, rogermexico, rubecube, Scornfire, Scroopy Noopers, sec304, sempuki, shadowlord, shogged, Simon96Taco, Slacker, Slava, smiggy77, SmoggyFlamesFan, socalwingfan, Sol, StAlbertFlame, Stan, standinmotion, Steve Bozek, Stillman16, Strange Brew, Stupid, Superfraggle, SuperMatt18, surferguy, T-Dog, Tabaracci_31, Tensen, Textcritic, ThaBrink, The Big Chill, The Fonz, the2bears, TheGingerbeardMan, TheIronMaiden, theJuice, TheOnlyBilko, TheScorpion, Timbo, timun, Titan, tknez16, ToraToraTora, Torture, tripin_billie, troutman, tvp2003, Two Fivenagame, vennegoor of hesselink, Vinny01, Weirdness, White Out 403, Wiggum_PI, wireframe, Yamer, Yrebmi, ZedMan, Zulu29, zztim81