Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-11-2019, 07:53 PM   #21
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ll be watching for the cinematography in rural Alberta alone. It looks amazing in the trailer.

I’m not sold on the whole Stranger things/Super 8/IT chapter 1 vibe, which has been done to death lately, but it still looks way way way better than the 2016 version.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:03 PM   #22
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Hmm. Didn’t even think of the local places. I think that’s the crossfield school in the shot with Paul Rudd on the ground and the brick building with brownish trim behind him. If true I once escaped Miss McGuigan’s math class by jumping out that window once. Good times.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:08 PM   #23
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Filming Locations Map:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...0834999998&z=9

https://twitter.com/user/status/1204253289249935360

Last edited by mac_82; 12-11-2019 at 08:10 PM.
mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mac_82 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 08:17 PM   #24
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Yup. Good old WG Murdoch.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #25
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

This made me laugh.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1204169076681003008
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:08 AM   #26
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Ghostbusters: Afterlife - Moved from July 10, 2020 to March 5, 2021
Damn you Covid19
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:55 AM   #27
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Damn you Covid19
This is the true crime.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:54 AM   #28
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bummer.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:58 AM   #29
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Aww, lame. I was hoping they'd release it on streaming platforms for a fee. Guess the pirates would have ruined that for the people willing to pay, though.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 12:05 PM   #30
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I’ll be watching for the cinematography in rural Alberta alone. It looks amazing in the trailer.

I’m not sold on the whole Stranger things/Super 8/IT chapter 1 vibe, which has been done to death lately, but it still looks way way way better than the 2016 version.
Stranger Things, Super 8, It, etc... were all basically copying Ghostbusters somewhat in their vibe. I'm actually excited to see if they can bring back that vibe from the original Ghostbusters to this effectively. That was really what made the originals so great.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 12:10 PM   #31
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Aww, lame. I was hoping they'd release it on streaming platforms for a fee. Guess the pirates would have ruined that for the people willing to pay, though.
Zero chance of that happening. They want the whole family to pay admission and buy snacks. Charging a single fee of $10 for a room full of people to watch would have cut their revenue by hundreds of millions.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:20 PM   #32
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Zero chance of that happening. They want the whole family to pay admission and buy snacks. Charging a single fee of $10 for a room full of people to watch would have cut their revenue by hundreds of millions.
Well, not zero chance. Universal is doing it with some movies already. And $10 would be too low, of course.

We'll see how things progress. Without any doubt, they're going to be watching the take on movies like The Hunt to see what streaming looks like compared to their expectations had it been in theaters. We'll see how full theaters are in a few months, six months and 12 months. If things are back to normal in a year, then great. If not, I wouldn't be so sure more movies won't end up going straight to streaming services.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:22 PM   #33
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do movie studios get a cut of snacks? I thought they just took all the door revenue.

I think a movie was recently released while still in theatres, and it was $20 USD for 48 hours. So if they price it like a movie for 2-4 people I think they would still take in the same per person, roughly.

I'm sure they'll find some technology that gives them permission to spy on you in your living room to make sure not to many people watch, sand you sign away all your privacy for the privilege.

Last edited by Fuzz; 03-31-2020 at 12:28 PM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 12:50 PM   #34
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Well, not zero chance. Universal is doing it with some movies already. And $10 would be too low, of course.

We'll see how things progress. Without any doubt, they're going to be watching the take on movies like The Hunt to see what streaming looks like compared to their expectations had it been in theaters. We'll see how full theaters are in a few months, six months and 12 months. If things are back to normal in a year, then great. If not, I wouldn't be so sure more movies won't end up going straight to streaming services.
A lot of these movies either movies that had already hit the theatres or lower budget dramas. Doubt any high budget action movies go straight to video.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:52 PM   #35
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Do movie studios get a cut of snacks? I thought they just took all the door revenue.

I think a movie was recently released while still in theatres, and it was $20 USD for 48 hours. So if they price it like a movie for 2-4 people I think they would still take in the same per person, roughly.

I'm sure they'll find some technology that gives them permission to spy on you in your living room to make sure not to many people watch, sand you sign away all your privacy for the privilege.
They don't get a cut of the snacks, but it's all part of the business model. Theatres build in the profits they make from snacks into the ability to build giant theatres to watch the movies on.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:55 PM   #36
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They don't get a cut of the snacks, but it's all part of the business model. Theatres build in the profits they make from snacks into the ability to build giant theatres to watch the movies on.
But studios don't care about theatres in this case. If they can make up the revenue in direct sales, snacks won't matter at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 01:10 PM   #37
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
A lot of these movies either movies that had already hit the theatres or lower budget dramas. Doubt any high budget action movies go straight to video.
Yes, well obviously not in normal circumstances. If eight or 12 months from now theaters are still closed, you can bet they're going to find another way to recoup some of their investment. Streaming will be their best option. They may even have to explore that option if theaters do open, but attendance remains suppressed.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:52 PM   #38
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
But studios don't care about theatres in this case. If they can make up the revenue in direct sales, snacks won't matter at all.
Studios would much rather prefer to have hundreds of billions in box office then go to the at home routes. The movies already make a lot of money off of at home watching (On Demand and Blu Ray), after the regular course in the theatres, then the movies go to streaming services. If possible, the studios will get their movies into the theatres.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:55 PM   #39
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Studios would much rather prefer to have hundreds of billions in box office then go to the at home routes. The movies already make a lot of money off of at home watching (On Demand and Blu Ray), after the regular course in the theatres, then the movies go to streaming services. If possible, the studios will get their movies into the theatres.
Everyone knows everything you just said.

I feel like I'm having a conversation with somebody completely oblivious to COVID-19 and that all movie theatres all over the world are closed indefinitely.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 01:58 PM   #40
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hundreds of billions?

Anyway, the point is they don't get theatre revenues from snacks, so they only have to look at ticket sales, and find a price that compensates them for home viewing similar to theatres. With everyone staying home looking for content, it may work out OK for them. It's obviously a newish idea, but they have been toying with it for a few years now. If they can make their money, why do they care what screen it comes out on? Particularity at a point in history when those screens aren't available.

Tags
spores molds and fungus