Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2019, 09:22 AM   #21
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:

Will never coach again and the world sees him as a racist. Worlds changing. You will be held accountable for your actions
bluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:23 AM   #22
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmmmm. Bill Peters removed as coach. Doesn’t say fired or no longer part of the organization. Will be interesting to see what is said.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:24 AM   #23
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

What a terrible situation but expected
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:25 AM   #24
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Hmmmm. Bill Peters removed as coach. Doesn’t say fired or no longer part of the organization. Will be interesting to see what is said.
I’m guessing because they won’t talk about his contract, just that he has been relieved of his duties.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 09:26 AM   #25
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I’m guessing because they won’t talk about his contract, just that he has been relieved of his duties.
I really don’t think they can keep him as part of the organization either. I wonder how this is going to play out, aside from the lawsuits that are sure to follow.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:27 AM   #26
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well I don’t think you will hear the word settlement, and if you do it will be an accident.

And while I expect him to say something nice about Peters, those will also be carefully chosen words. I’m guessing he won’t call him generally a good guy. I don’t mean to dissect your statement, it’s just that I will just find his choice of words interesting. My guess is he will be nervous and we will hear a ton of repetition. Don’t blame him.

I’m curious whether this will all be attributed to the racist incident from 10 years or if he will in any way reference other behavior.

He should get asked how he would characterize Peters behavior as coach of the Flames and whether any claims of inappropriate behavior have been made.
Dissect away. I typed it in 20 seconds and things like "settlement" etc. are shorthand anyway. I think that will be the gist of though. I think he will say something nice about Peters, I think he will refrain from discussing details of the termination "arrangements".

How he would characterize Peters? I don't think he would give any real answer to that. If he's asked the latter question he also won't answer. "Any internal complaints can't be discussed, even to say they existed or not".
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:27 AM   #27
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Bettman agrees that Peters is a detriment to the image of the NHL, can't he just terminate his contract unilaterally? I was under the impression he had the power to do that.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:28 AM   #28
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm struggling to remember any firing where the GM said the word "fired".
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:28 AM   #29
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluck View Post
Will never coach again and the world sees him as a racist. Worlds changing. You will be held accountable for your actions
[MOD EDIT] Stay on topic
Old 11-29-2019, 09:28 AM   #30
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
I'm sticking to my prediction that everyone involved took some kind of settlement, and this particular issue doesn't get discussed by affected parties. No one lays blame anywhere or comments on anything after getting lawyered.
Tron_fdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:30 AM   #31
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
...I’m curious whether this will all be attributed to the racist incident from 10 years or if he will in any way reference other behavior.

He should get asked how he would characterize Peters behavior as coach of the Flames and whether any claims of inappropriate behavior have been made.
I hope it comes up (but I'm not holding my breath) about why these things don't come out in the search and interview process, and how the Flames vetted Peters in the first place. Maybe some of the good to come out of this will be a higher concern for transparency within the NHL, and much greater care taken in decisions about what things ought to be handled internally, and how to handle them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 09:30 AM   #32
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Time to dust off this oldie.

I always feel sorry for that dude staring down at his papers. So close to greatness, and he doesn’t even get a glimpse of it.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:30 AM   #33
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

All the horrible Racism stuff aside, okay with the firing.

Peters as a coach did not make adjustments, could not get the team on track post all-star game last year and already looked like he had lost the guys in the room. The only reason he survived was im sure BT did not want to look like he was firing another coach so quickly.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:31 AM   #34
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
[MOD EDIT] Stay on topic

Or pretty much anyone important or wealthy enough. The small and middle guys get screwed. But hey, the world's changing! lol
Saqe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:32 AM   #35
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is an important precedent the Flames have set. You never know when this stuff will come back to bite you. Hopefully this helps deter this sort of behaviour in the future.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:32 AM   #36
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
If Bettman agrees that Peters is a detriment to the image of the NHL, can't he just terminate his contract unilaterally? I was under the impression he had the power to do that.
He likely can, but i would expect that would open the NHL up to a whole can of worms they have no interest in diving into.

Have to remember, in this particular instance anyhow, Peters was not employed in/by the NHL, it was a decade ago, and he was with an entirely different organization.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:32 AM   #37
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Dissect away. I typed it in 20 seconds and things like "settlement" etc. are shorthand anyway. I think that will be the gist of though. I think he will say something nice about Peters, I think he will refrain from discussing details of the termination "arrangements".
Agreed.

If anybody thinks that Brad is about to get into the details of Peters' termination at the press conference they're bound to be disappointed.

He's going to say some high level things about the process and condemn racism in the organization, but he's not going to say whether Peters got nothing or a big fat cheque.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:33 AM   #38
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Agreed.

If anybody thinks that Brad is about to get into the details of Peters' termination at the press conference they're bound to be disappointed.

He's going to say some high level things about the process and condemn racism in the organization, but he's not going to say whether Peters got nothing or a big fat cheque.
Yup. And it will be more about "moving on from this". Forward looking. Confidence in Ward. Etc.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:33 AM   #39
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
[MOD EDIT] Stay on topic
The election's over. Can we stop with this now?
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 09:33 AM   #40
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Have to feel really bad for his kids...not for him, but certainly for his family.

I suspect this is not the last we hear about all this and i foresee a court battle down the line....unless they came to a settlement.

I would expect that there was some kind of settlement with Peter's just to make sure he goes away quietly and doesn't come back later on. Mainly I believe this because of the inconsistencies in the story from AA and then Peter's statement (Bill stated he apologized, AA stated he didn't).

Peter's probably got the rest of this years owing or something like that.

Yeah I do feel sorry for Peter's family, not Peter's himself, We all get caught in the jet wash of a family members poor conduct and its harsh and cruel and unfortunate.

The Flames and the NHL will want to put this behind them as quickly as possible, but I don't think that's possible, however I'm sure that every current coach and assistant coach in the NHL and AHL and even Major Junior will have their teeth on edge for the next few months.

I don't know if the NHL and the Flames would have offered AA some kind of cash offer to stop.

But it seems likely.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote