Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-26-2019, 05:11 PM   #1
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:
Default Dealing with an unreasonable landlord

Having a fun situation here and would love to consult the CP braintrust.

Moved in to a place Aug 1. Landlord lives in the basement (Completely seperate entrance, etc) and is working on a second basement unit.

During the walkthrough the landlord emphasized how quiet the unit was and how he didn't really hear anything in the basement. The unit has hardwood floors throughout but he said he had done a lot of work on sound proofing the basement.

Now he is sending me messages saying that I walk too loudly and to avoid wearing shoes in the place (which I don't), and to advise guests that there is a unit in the basement and to be mindful of that while walking. He also said he had to make the previous tenants aware of it as well so apparently his soundproofing isn't amazing as he said in the walkthrough.

He asked me to get rugs, so we have a couple, but he came in to do some work and said we needed more and of a different type to further reduce the sound and that he'd be following up in a couple weeks.

I'm pretty tempted to tell him to go pound sand but I'm a reasonable person and I've lived with basement tenants before without issue (and in a basement myself during Uni) so I tried to reason with him after the first time he mentioned it but here we go again.

I don't really want to go spend hundreds of dollars on rugs to cover every inch in in every room, plus that's going to look ridiculous. Why have hardwood floors if you have to have every inch of your house covered in rugs? If he was so concerned about the noise maybe he should have installed carpet!

I've also had to listen to construction noises the past month as he finishes up the second rental unit in the basement so it's pretty rich to complain about walking when I'm listening to drilling and hammering all day.

Obviously I have a right to walk in my rental unit and I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that says that's unreasonable noise but how would you go about resolving this issue?

Edit: update is @ the bottom of pg 3 and it is juicy.

Last edited by Torture; 09-03-2020 at 10:48 PM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:15 PM   #2
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, on the whole, I would probably do exactly what you have planned to do, and in the meantime, look to get out of that apartment ASAP. Too bad you are only 25 days into your lease!
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:15 PM   #3
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ignore him and find a new place.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 05:16 PM   #4
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Ignore him and find a new place.
Year-long lease so don't really have any way to move on without continuing to be on the hook for it as far as I'm aware. I mean, I could file with the Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service for rent abatement because he's not allowing me peaceful enjoyment of the property if it keeps up but that feels like a bit of a stretch and doesn't resolve anything.

Ignoring I can definitely do.

Last edited by Torture; 08-26-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:30 PM   #5
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else come to these threads hoping that the other party involved is also a member? And thunderdome ensues?
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 05:34 PM   #6
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Anyone else come to these threads hoping that the other party involved is also a member? And thunderdome ensues?
The thought crossed my mind that he might be on here. Maybe we can resolve it in the thunderdome
Old 08-26-2019, 05:45 PM   #7
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

As long as you aren't doing anything out of the ordinary (like wearing tap shoes) then I don't think it's reasonable to expect you to do anything more than just act normally (like buy tons of carpet).

If he wants to buy the carpet then I guess that's fine, though if he does that make sure there's an amendment to the RTA that you're not responsible for normal wear. If it was me living downstairs and it was my property this is probably what I'd do for my own benefit.

It sucks because who knows what telling him you've done all you can reasonably be expected to do will do.. having a bad landlord/tenant relationship can suck.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:50 PM   #8
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the house in Bonavista by any chance?

It sounds like he probably hasn't done a good job properly soundproofing; I would bet he probably didn't use resilient channeling to secure his ceiling sheet rock, and just packed the floor cavity with a bunch of insulation, which ain't gonna cut it.
This definitely sounds like a him problem, and not a you problem; anything you've done to ease his concerns is probably already above and beyond what you're required to do.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:53 PM   #9
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

not even a month in, that sucks and it's bound to get worse.
If you're both unhappy, perhaps propose a compromise, you'd be willing to find a new place if he'd be willing to let you out of your lease?
Old 08-26-2019, 05:54 PM   #10
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is this a legal secondary suite? Like, do you think he's actually built a proper fire separation? Usually if you're building a properly rated floor assembly, you would consider the STC (sound transmission class) rating as well as the fire rating.
Edit* See pages 10 & 13

Last edited by Mass_nerder; 08-26-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 05:55 PM   #11
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Having a fun situation here and would love to consult the CP braintrust.

Moved in to a place Aug 1. Landlord lives in the basement (Completely seperate entrance, etc) and is working on a second basement unit.

During the walkthrough the landlord emphasized how quiet the unit was and how he didn't really hear anything in the basement. The unit has hardwood floors throughout but he said he had done a lot of work on sound proofing the basement.

Now he is sending me messages saying that I walk too loudly and to avoid wearing shoes in the place (which I don't), and to advise guests that there is a unit in the basement and to be mindful of that while walking. He also said he had to make the previous tenants aware of it as well so apparently his soundproofing isn't amazing as he said in the walkthrough.

He asked me to get rugs, so we have a couple, but he came in to do some work and said we needed more and of a different type to further reduce the sound and that he'd be following up in a couple weeks.

I'm pretty tempted to tell him to go pound sand but I'm a reasonable person and I've lived with basement tenants before without issue (and in a basement myself during Uni) so I tried to reason with him after the first time he mentioned it but here we go again.

I don't really want to go spend hundreds of dollars on rugs to cover every inch in in every room, plus that's going to look ridiculous. Why have hardwood floors if you have to have every inch of your house covered in rugs? If he was so concerned about the noise maybe he should have installed carpet!

I've also had to listen to construction noises the past month as he finishes up the second rental unit in the basement so it's pretty rich to complain about walking when I'm listening to drilling and hammering all day.

Obviously I have a right to walk in my rental unit and I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that says that's unreasonable noise but how would you go about resolving this issue?
Brutal that must be torture.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 06:27 PM   #12
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Brutal that must be torture.

Came in here specifically to make this joke. Satisfied I was beaten to it.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:01 PM   #13
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
Is this a legal secondary suite? Like, do you think he's actually built a proper fire separation? Usually if you're building a properly rated floor assembly, you would consider the STC (sound transmission class) rating as well as the fire rating.
Edit* See pages 10 & 13
I think so, I mean he told is about the sound transmission work that had been done and how quiet it was in the basement which is why it's such a surprise that it's noisy. Probably cheaped out and did it poorly or something.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:03 PM   #14
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
Is the house in Bonavista by any chance?

It sounds like he probably hasn't done a good job properly soundproofing
Inner city. I probably hear more street noise than he hears me walking.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:05 PM   #15
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I notice when I come home in the evening
She ain't got nothing nice to say to me
But for five year she was so nice
Loh' she was lovy-dovy
I come home one particular evening
The landlady said
You got the rent money yet?
I said no, can't find no job
Therefore I ain't got no money
To pay the rent
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 08:18 PM   #16
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Put the rugs on your feet. aka slippers.

Wear them for a couple of weeks and then slowly stop wearing them. That'll train him.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:19 PM   #17
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you live in a basement suit then you know what's up. Its unreasonable to think that you wont here every thing the upstairs people do. If he owns the house, then it is his fault for choosing an arrangement that pisses him off.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 08:19 PM   #18
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

And this

topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 08:29 PM   #19
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d move immediately.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:32 PM   #20
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
If you live in a basement suit then you know what's up. Its unreasonable to think that you wont here every thing the upstairs people do. If he owns the house, then it is his fault for choosing an arrangement that pisses him off.
Probably watched too much HGTV.