Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2019, 06:18 PM   #1441
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

TLC has been um really really bad so far.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:13 PM   #1442
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Sane probably concussed during the main event match.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1206408911185575937

https://twitter.com/user/status/1206410828309766144

https://twitter.com/user/status/1206415810283163649

Old 12-16-2019, 06:36 AM   #1443
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
TLC has been um really really bad so far.
I personally really enjoyed the entire show outside the endings of the Viking Raiders/OC and the Corbin/Reigns matches.

I absolutely loved that Wyatt wrestled as FFFH Wyatt. Loved the post-match even more. This is going to add a whole new dimension to Wyatt & The Fiend.

I also couldn't get enough of Black & Murphy, that was a hell of a match, easily match of the night.

That Women's Tag TLC match was fantastic, best women's ladder match thus far in WWE IMO

Last edited by Crown Royal; 12-16-2019 at 06:41 AM.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:38 AM   #1444
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya I'm not sure how at that point it was bad?

The first few matches were the tag team ladder match and black v Murphy and both were excellent

It faded a bit and then the main event was really solid as well
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:51 AM   #1445
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Ya I'm not sure how at that point it was bad?

CC is just so used to saying everything coming out of the WWE is bad the he has that written in his post before the show even starts and just goes from there.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:36 PM   #1446
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Nah. I look at it

Humberto Carrillo vs. Andrade

Really good match, this is a match of two up and comers and they did a great job of it. Pushes the story of Andrade leaving Vega

The Revival vs. The New Day

The Revival are so good, and so misused and it looks like they're setting up a comeback for Harlem heat. I liked this match, and it was executed really well. I was kind of hoping for a title switch though

Buddy Murphy vs. Aleister Black

Great match after a horrible setup. really physical and it looks like Black's nose was broken.

The OC vs. The Viking Raiders

This was an over booked mess, and just not that good, and you know someone was going through the KFC table (Oh you rascals) honestly you should never end a match with something like a countout in a PPV. This matched silenced the audience, and you started to hear some boos

Roman Reigns vs. King Baron Corbin

This match was atrociously stupid, and over booked and contained so many bad booking ideas that the audience was openly booing this at the end. It even had the element of the old kung fu movies where the hord massively out numbers the hero and then feed himself to them one at a time.

The Miz vs. Bray Wyatt

Ok so your kids and your family are being threatened so you grab your shades and a bedazzled jacket and head down to the ring with your normal entrance. In the words of Miz himself "Come on man". Look I like the Miz, I think he gets under rated, but he's the wrong guy to play the angry out for revenge wrestler because his move set is wrong for it. I like Bray but even as himself he was meh, but I give him credit for buying into his character. It was nice to see the American Dragon err Daniel Bryan show up. But this match felt flat because it was in a sense a wrestling match and not what it should have been, a holy shyte, TLC match where the Miz is trying to kil the Fiend/Bray.

Bobby Lashley vs. Rusev

My eyes were bleeding at the end of this match, I mean Lashley is just boring, and Rusev isn't being given a lot to work with. Boring, plodding and filled with botches.

TLC Match for the WWE Women’s Tag Team Titles: RAW Women’s Champion Becky Lynch and Charlotte Flair vs. The Kabuki Warriors

Completely overbooked mess, and it didn't help that Sane took what looks like a concussion and was completely out of it when taking moves. Becky and Charlotte looked like they wanted to be anywhere else but there, and not in a good character way. Just underwhelming for the talent in the ring.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:46 PM   #1447
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Kazuchika Okada will be carrying the Olympic Torch for the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo. How awesome is that!
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2019, 06:52 PM   #1448
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like and respect JR but bah gawd he needs to retire
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 12:40 PM   #1449
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Spoiler!

Old 12-19-2019, 11:22 PM   #1450
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Spoiler!
It was a fantastic match, the entire show was great once again.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:40 PM   #1451
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Rhea is absolutely awesome, and Shayna fed her really well in that match. I expect this is the end of her in NXT with the Woman's division really cooling off.

And how can you argue with a opener of Prince Balor against Adam Cole (Baybe)

Old 12-19-2019, 11:55 PM   #1452
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Please note this was typed before watching the 12/18 edition of Dynamite.

I've really tried to stay away from making many posts AEW because I wanted to give them a fair shake, but after 2.5 months, I feel like for the time being I can say with certainty that I think AEW is pretty mediocre and IMO a significant step behind NXT and to be honest, I can't say I am really enjoying it any more than Raw or Smackdown. That said IMO it is very clearly a step above Impact, RoH, NJPW... etc.

The biggest thing for me is the Women's Division. Outside of a few women on AEW (Kris Statlander, Britt Baker & Allie, plus I am curious where the Rhodes/Kong story is going), I find the rest extremely boring and for the most part not all that great. I think this Nyla Rose "suspension" is the best thing, because anything that keeps her off TV is good, she's nothing more than a worse version of Nia Jax. Riho is completely unbelievable as a champ

In the men's singles division is solid and IMO almost as good as NXT, but IMO there have been too many unprotected head shots, I get these chair and everything are "gimmicked" but it doesn't take alot to scramble someone's brain. Also, Marko Stunt, good for him in reaching that level, but I just can't buy him as more than a sideshow for heel's to mock.

For an organization that has made such a big deal of their tag division, I find AEW's to be pretty underwhelming to say the least. It feels like everyone is a spot monkey (Bucks, Lucha Bros, Private Party) or just downright bland (SCU, Best Friends), the only teams I am finding remotely compelling are the Dark Order and Proud & Powerful. Oh, and I think the Blade and the Butcher could have potential if done right.

Even with the refs, it feels like they are parading Aubrey Edwards out there any chance possible, if feels forced like every time the WWE is making "history" in the women's division. I also hate how even in regular matches they seem to let everything go, if you are trying to present as a real sport, letting competitors blatantly break the rules in front officials just comes off as sloppy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2019, 11:53 AM   #1453
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Please note this was typed before watching the 12/18 edition of Dynamite.

I've really tried to stay away from making many posts AEW because I wanted to give them a fair shake, but after 2.5 months, I feel like for the time being I can say with certainty that I think AEW is pretty mediocre and IMO a significant step behind NXT and to be honest, I can't say I am really enjoying it any more than Raw or Smackdown. That said IMO it is very clearly a step above Impact, RoH, NJPW... etc.
I don't know that I'd put them above NJPW but I'd definitely have them above Raw and Smackdown. For me it goes NJPW, AEW/NXT, WWE, everything else.

I think some of your criticisms are valid, especially regarding the women's division and the lack of consistent rules enforcement. I also think the rankings system has been a bit of a joke so far. I do think some of that can be attributed to growing pains. It'd be ridiculous to expect AEW to put together a product that's as polished as what NXT and WWE do considering how new they are to everything.

I disagree with your assessment of the tag division but I think that's just a style preference. I've always really enjoyed what The Young Bucks and Luchas Brothers do, but I understand why purists/traditional wrestling fans can't really get into them.

I do think that AEW is leading the pack in terms of promos, storylines, and character development right now. The stories make sense and they're not dumb and insulting to fans. As I've said previously, I find myself invested in almost all of the characters and storylines right now. I can't really think of a single WWE story that's going on right now that's remotely interesting outside of The Fiend stuff and even that sounds like it's starting to deteriorate.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 12:14 PM   #1454
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Rarely do I agree with Meltzer's opinion on the product, but I am with him on Dynamite reminding me way too much of 1999 Nitro.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 01:32 PM   #1455
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I do think that AEW is leading the pack in terms of promos, storylines, and character development right now. The stories make sense and they're not dumb and insulting to fans. As I've said previously, I find myself invested in almost all of the characters and storylines right now. I can't really think of a single WWE story that's going on right now that's remotely interesting outside of The Fiend stuff and even that sounds like it's starting to deteriorate.
I think they have the advantage of every fued feeling new though.

Issue with the main brand at this point is that they tend to really tier off their wrestlers and it feels like they are always having the same fueds because of it.

WWE needs to mix up the upper and mid card a bit more (also think the Raw / Smackdown brand split should just go already) so they can have more fresh fueds and storylines we haven't seen before.

For example I feel like Corbin and Reigns have been feuding for 2 years at this point.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 01:41 PM   #1456
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I think they have the advantage of every fued feeling new though.

Issue with the main brand at this point is that they tend to really tier off their wrestlers and it feels like they are always having the same fueds because of it.

WWE needs to mix up the upper and mid card a bit more (also think the Raw / Smackdown brand split should just go already) so they can have more fresh fueds and storylines we haven't seen before.

For example I feel like Corbin and Reigns have been feuding for 2 years at this point.
Well it's also because the storylines just aren't good. Every WWE storyline seems to boil down to this:

Heel: "Blah blah blah I'm so great blah blah"
*Babyface comes out*
Babyface: "No you're not <insert lame dis that the writers came up>"
Heel: Yes, I am!
Face: Nuh uh

Then the heel just beats up the face for a few weeks until we get a match, mixing in some tag matches with other feuds happening at the same time.

When WWE do deviate from that formula we get schlock like the Rusev/Lashley angle.
Old 12-20-2019, 01:42 PM   #1457
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

To me in terms of straight up wrestling and wrestling atmosphere, NXT is just ahead of all others. They had a couple of just fantastic matches last night, and even their fillers were good.

Yeah in terms of promo's and even to an extent storylines, AEW is ahead, however NXT and AEW are completely different animals in that you don't see super advanced story lines in NXT.

Woman's division NXT trumps all.

Right now for WWE the real concern has to be that Smackdown and Raw are becoming the forgotten sons in the war between WWE and AEW.

I agree though, AEW does have the feel of 1999 Nitro where they booked so much stuff that the storylines fell apart.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:38 PM   #1458
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Hahaha

https://twitter.com/user/status/1207962353867919361

Old 12-20-2019, 03:12 PM   #1459
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To me in terms of straight up wrestling and wrestling atmosphere, NXT is just ahead of all others. They had a couple of just fantastic matches last night, and even their fillers were good.
I think the atmosphere for AEW has been on par or better than NXT. Both crowds are full of hardcores that seem to stay hot for most of the night. I think AEW benefits a bit more from having larger venues but it sounds like NXT might start traveling next year, which would nullify that advantage.

Quote:
Yeah in terms of promo's and even to an extent storylines, AEW is ahead, however NXT and AEW are completely different animals in that you don't see super advanced story lines in NXT.
Yeah, NXT is more similar to NJPW in terms of angles and storylines I think than it is AEW.

Quote:
I agree though, AEW does have the feel of 1999 Nitro where they booked so much stuff that the storylines fell apart.
I think much of that is a byproduct of being new and trying to establish as many guys as quickly as possible, which I don't think they actually need to worry about as much as they are.
Old 12-20-2019, 03:13 PM   #1460
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Saw somewhere someone commented "Did the creepers go to the Shane McMahon School of Striking?"
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post: