Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-17-2019, 09:55 AM   #1
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default North American Tipping Culture vs the Rest of the World

Last Thursday while at the dentist finishing up the paperwork and bill before leaving, I was prompted to tip / service gratuity by the debit machine.

I politely asked the office admin what this gratuity was for? She said it went to the Dental Hygienists and front office staff for providing outstanding customer service.

I put $0 dollars which made me feel extremely embarrassed when the bill was already in excess of $450.

Driving away, that experience really pi$#&d me off and got me thinking that things have to change.

Tipping in North America is engrained in almost everything we do now when we leave the house. I was prompted to tip the plumber a few weeks ago. Restaurants, salons, hotels, and taxis are only a few examples of where it's expected.

I've heard the argument that jobs in the service industry are lower than other industries, starving students etc. I'm starting to think.. how is that my problem? If you don't like your current career, job, and salary , do something about it.

I'm done tipping for the next month. I want to see the reaction since I can certainly say tipping does not equate to receiving better service.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to spuzzum For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 09:57 AM   #2
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Tipping at the dentist? Come on now. I'd be looking for a new dentist asap.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:58 AM   #3
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I only tip when I’m sitting in a restaurant. 10-15% based on service and size of the bill.

No one else gets tipped. Don’t ever feel bad about putting $0 down.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 10:01 AM   #4
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 10:04 AM   #5
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Sitting in a restaurant will get the server a tip, delivery drivers get a tip too. I also tip for haircuts and sometimes for cab rides. If the plumber wants a tip, here's a tip- your buttcrack is showing, now get the hell out of my house.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 10:11 AM   #6
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Come to think about it, I'm never tipping a cabbie again. Looking back on it I feel like a sucker.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:12 AM   #7
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I quit tipping based on performance long ago. It’s a terrible system with no measurable affects and perverse incentives. With the new minimum wage increases and corresponding menu price increases I reduced tipping to 10%. This for sure covers any tip out so no one loses money serving me

In terms of other services the delivery guy and Uber guy gets tipped becuase the hourly wages of those guys are abismal once you look at their car costs.

Medical and Paramedical would never get tipped.

Last edited by GGG; 03-17-2019 at 10:16 AM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 10:13 AM   #8
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Dentists are already criminal enterprises in Alberta. If my dentist asked for a tip I would find a new one. I can’t think of an industry less deserving of a tip.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 10:14 AM   #9
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

the OP needs more asterisks and words in all-caps

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 10:18 AM   #10
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

The weirdest one I've ever seen was at a self serve ice cream place where you went in, built your ice cream sundae and they charged you based on weight. I just about laughed in the cashier's face when the tip option came up on the debit machine. It's getting pretty ridiculous.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 10:20 AM   #11
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
Sitting in a restaurant will get the server a tip, delivery drivers get a tip too. I also tip for haircuts and sometimes for cab rides. If the plumber wants a tip, here's a tip- your buttcrack is showing, now get the hell out of my house.
Why is that the case? Solely because of the salary difference. All are providing a service.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:21 AM   #12
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Anyone else getting annoyed at having to tip at fast food joints? I've seen it at Edo Japan, Freshii, A&W, etc.

There is no different customer service one can give than the next person; I don't know why that's a thing. Sit-down restaurants are different to me, because you basically have a "master of ceremonies" who should be giving you a very pleasant experience. Slapping food on a teppanyaki grill - the exact same set of hand motions for everyone else - doesn't seem like tipping material to me. That just seems like basic duties of the job.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:23 AM   #13
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Anyone else getting annoyed at having to tip at fast food joints? I've seen it at Edo Japan, Freshii, A&W, etc.

There is no different customer service one can give than the next person; I don't know why that's a thing. Sit-down restaurants are different to me, because you basically have a "master of ceremonies" who should be giving you a very pleasant experience. Slapping food on a teppanyaki grill - the exact same set of hand motions for everyone else - doesn't seem like tipping material to me. That just seems like basic duties of the job.
You don’t have to tip anywhere. Just push $0.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 10:23 AM   #14
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
The weirdest one I've ever seen was at a self serve ice cream place where you went in, built your ice cream sundae and they charged you based on weight. I just about laughed in the cashier's face when the tip option came up on the debit machine. It's getting pretty ridiculous.
That's a perfect example on how it's beyond ridiculous. Self serving yourself and then getting charged a tip.

How about sitting in the bar or lounge. You order one $10 dollar beer and are expected to say leave $2. Order a $100 bottle of wine and they expect $20.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:24 AM   #15
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I mean getting prompted for tip to begin with.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 10:34 AM   #16
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Maybe it shouldn't, but it annoys me when many of the debit machines only initially give you three shortcut tipping options typically 15% 18% 21% (or some iteration of this) but no 10% option. I know you can manually enter a percent or $ amount but there is almost an implied or presumed amount to tip.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cupofjoe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 10:44 AM   #17
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I’ve found that over the past year or so I just go out less because of the tipping prompts and higher tipping expectations. I’ve also stopped tipping 20%. The max for me is 18%, and most places for me are back to 15%. I’m pretty sure I’ll be tipping 13%-15% soon. With $15 minimum wage, 20% is ridiculous

Only tip on sit down restaurants and hair cuts. Only exception is for Vietnam subs because the value for money for those are still incredible.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:49 AM   #18
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Hope that dentist goes out of business. Either they’re not paying the staff enough and expecting the customer to make up the difference, or they’re letting their staff create a stupid policy. We should jihad their google page.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:22 AM   #19
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the social convention for tipping anywhere is outrageous. Why should I be expected to pay a tip to a bar tender or a waitress, as a right, rather than a guy at subway who busts his ass and does a great job? Social convention is the only answer. Social convention is stupid. I pick up an order from Swiss chalet and I have no social pressure to tip the lady that completes the transaction with me, even if she is juggling two phone calls, gets my meal immediately and is smooth as hell. But if I go into the restuarant for a sit down meal, there's social pressure to tip the lady who never once comes by to ask if I want a Pepsi refill?

Abolish tipping everywhere. They'll still be waitresses and bartenders. I don't care if they aren't hot women.

Last edited by Johnny199r; 03-17-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 11:23 AM   #20
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Can we get the dentist location so they can be publicly, mercilessly shamed? I'm totally flabbergasted by this. It's only a step or two away from the nurse presenting you with the debit machine as they wheel you into the OR for emergency heart surgery, because the ambulance driver got you to the hospital in a timely manner.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post: