Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Thoughts on the James Neal signing?
Love It 411 46.55%
Love the add, worried about the term 328 37.15%
Neutral 30 3.40%
Wait and see 71 8.04%
Hate it 43 4.87%
Voters: 883. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2018, 12:24 PM   #1021
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Personally, Neal could never score again and I would still rather have him than Lucic.
Neal isn't scoring and last game wasn't great. But he's been surprisingly good at defensive play along the boards, and for the most part spends his time in the offensive zone, which is always good.

I still think he's looking for chemistry, which makes him more like Hamonic than Brouwer IMO.

I think comments about him sulking are unwarranted. I've seen no evidence of that, despite the fact that I bet him playing on the top line was discussed in his UFA negotiations with JT.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:44 PM   #1022
MrButtons
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I remember him saying he wants to win and I like to think that most guys are team first. Although he probably is annoyed hes not playing on Line 1, I think he's a professional and understands it is hard to break up one of the hottest offensive lines this year.
MrButtons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:14 PM   #1023
ReinhartonD
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Just looking in our division--would you trade Neal and his contract for Lucic, Eriksson or Corey Perry and their boat anchor deals? Every team has a contract or two they'd prefer to be rid of; this ain't on the level of a Clarkson or Scott Gomez's (if you remember that stupid Habs trade).

Peters is still figuring out line combos and they're tops in the Western conference. I guess we have to have something to stress over, but Neal will end up being useful before the season and playoffs are done this year.
ReinhartonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:17 PM   #1024
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd say we give Neal some actual linemates before calling his contract a boat anchor and trying to deal him out.

I'm sorry but Ryan/Bennett/Dube/Janko aren't going to get players going.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 01:48 PM   #1025
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Neal isn't scoring and last game wasn't great. But he's been surprisingly good at defensive play along the boards, and for the most part spends his time in the offensive zone, which is always good.

I still think he's looking for chemistry, which makes him more like Hamonic than Brouwer IMO.

I think comments about him sulking are unwarranted. I've seen no evidence of that, despite the fact that I bet him playing on the top line was discussed in his UFA negotiations with JT.
Hamonic is outscoring him this year FFS. Brouwer too. Neal is on pace for 15 points.

I know that it’s good to be optimistic but let’s not be delusional, this has gone about as bad as a big $ free agent signing can possibly go.
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:51 PM   #1026
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
I'd say we give Neal some actual linemates before calling his contract a boat anchor and trying to deal him out.

I'm sorry but Ryan/Bennett/Dube/Janko aren't going to get players going.
All of those players are out producing him. In terms of points per game he is essentially the worst on the team. Who is holding back who exactly?
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 01:52 PM   #1027
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Hamonic is outscoring him this year FFS. Brouwer too. Neal is on pace for 15 points.

I know that it’s good to be optimistic but let’s not be delusional, this has gone about as bad as a big $ free agent signing can possibly go.
We are 30 games in. It's not gone well. But I think it will still work itself out.
Hamonic was called a bad acquisition this time last year, is my point. And as soon as he found his fit, it turned around. I see more Hamonic in Neal's play than Brouwer. And, yeah, I think it's about the players around him as much as him.

As far as "big UFA signings" go, I'd take Neal over Lucic any day, all day. Though I don't like "big UFA signings as a general principle", preferring UFAs to be for depth only.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:59 PM   #1028
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
We are 30 games in. It's not gone well. But I think it will still work itself out.
Hamonic was called a bad acquisition this time last year, is my point. And as soon as he found his fit, it turned around. I see more Hamonic in Neal's play than Brouwer. And, yeah, I think it's about the players around him as much as him.

As far as "big UFA signings" go, I'd take Neal over Lucic any day, all day. Though I don't like "big UFA signings as a general principle", preferring UFAs to be for depth only.
Neal deserves pretty much every bit of the bashing he's getting and it will continue until his play improves, or should I say, until his production improves. Why? Because we need and expect more out of him.

Unlike Lucic, who's not an NHL calibre player anymore, I don't believe that is the case with Neal so as a result, I expect more out of him. And since I expect more out of him, that is why Neal deserves every bit of the bashing he's getting from me or others.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:30 PM   #1029
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Neal deserves pretty much every bit of the bashing he's getting and it will continue until his play improves, or should I say, until his production improves. Why? Because we need and expect more out of him.

Unlike Lucic, who's not an NHL calibre player anymore, I don't believe that is the case with Neal so as a result, I expect more out of him. And since I expect more out of him, that is why Neal deserves every bit of the bashing he's getting from me or others.
We're first in the flippin' conference.

I just don't see why people need to negative towards the team at all right now.

He's a new player, taking time to adjust to a new city, team, and coach.

Also, recently - he has been making a lot of really nice plays to set up eatbread and janko. Points will come. He's been playing well and the team has been winning.

...I just don't understand why some fans want to fixate and paint things negatively. "We need more" from him...yeah, I mean - if he came in with no adjustment period at all and was lighting it up and had his normal 8 goals opposed to 3, yeah - we may have overcome some of Mike Smith's horrific goaltending this year and we may be 1st in the league rather than just 1st in the West. We have time to be patient with him.

Seems like a whole lot of panic and negativity for no reason.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 02:34 PM   #1030
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
And when the team goes on a losing streak, this is going to get freaking ugly.

I know, I didn't think it would be this bad, either. I didn't think when it was signed, "Oh, there's the Flames version of the Lucic / Eriksson deals". But it's looking very much that way so far. At least Neal is still outscoring Lucic (in goals; they're tied in points).
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 02:35 PM   #1031
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not in favor of making excuses for a player's poor play. Neal has been bad and it's 100% on him. His low 4% shooting percentage doesn't scream bad luck to me. It seems about right given the effort he is putting in to get to actual scoring areas.

I haven't seen anything in his game to suggest he is on the verge of breaking out and those predicting that are basing it on wishful thinking, I suppose.

I hope the guy turns it around. I really don't know what else to say about it. The team has shown they can win with him as a passenger so that is encouraging.

Last edited by Strange Brew; 12-10-2018 at 04:20 PM.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 02:43 PM   #1032
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

I just don't see why people need to negative towards the team at all right now.

He's a new player, taking time to adjust to a new city, team, and coach.

Also, recently - he has been making a lot of really nice plays to set up eatbread and janko. Points will come. He's been playing well and the team has been winning.

...I just don't understand why some fans want to fixate and paint things negatively. "We need more" from him...yeah, I mean - if he came in with no adjustment period at all and was lighting it up and had his normal 8 goals opposed to 3, yeah - we may have overcome some of Mike Smith's horrific goaltending this year and we may be 1st in the league rather than just 1st in the West. We have time to be patient with him.

Seems like a whole lot of panic and negativity for no reason.

Just because the Flames are doing really well is no reason not to criticize someone who deserves it.

Just as when the team is doing poorly, it's okay to criticize those players that are actually performing and doing their part.

Fans aren't in every thread talking about how terrible everyone is. They're in a James Neal thread, talking about how terrible James Neal has been this year. Because he has been. You can argue snake-bit or whatever else, but he has 6 points in 30 games and that's terrible for what was expected from him.

Flames fans need Neal to pick up his game for the inevitable point where the big 4 hit a temporary slump. That is when you need the other guys to pick up the slack, and right now, no one seems capable of it.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 03:01 PM   #1033
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

“To be able to mentor and help better the lives of youth in Calgary means a lot to me.”

#Flames forward James Neal is partnering with the @CalgaryPolice Foundation and will lend his time to a free, weekly hockey drop-in program throughout the season.

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/neal...on/c-302730536
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to colbym72 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 03:12 PM   #1034
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
“To be able to mentor and help better the lives of youth in Calgary means a lot to me.”

#Flames forward James Neal is partnering with the @CalgaryPolice Foundation and will lend his time to a free, weekly hockey drop-in program throughout the season.

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/neal...on/c-302730536

Nice but that is not what he is being paid $5.7 million a year for. Pretty well all the Flames are involved in community work around Calgary. There is nothing special about Neal doing so.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:16 PM   #1035
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The team is first in the division in December for the first time I can remember in a long time and first in the Conference in December for the first time ever I can remember and here we are on page 52 of a thread for James Neal who's less than half a season into a five year contract. It seems like no matter how successful the team gets nothing trumps a thread regarding the current whipping boy.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 03:20 PM   #1036
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
Nice but that is not what he is being paid $5.7 million a year for. Pretty well all the Flames are involved in community work around Calgary. There is nothing special about Neal doing so.
That's a pretty gross perspective.

Seperate the game from the person every now and then
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 03:21 PM   #1037
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Nice that most of the Flames are involved in community work around Calgary, and that Neal, as a new guy, is also doing so.
I fixed your post for you.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 03:22 PM   #1038
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The team is first in the division in December for the first time I can remember in a long time and first in the Conference in December for the first time ever I can remember and here we are on page 52 of a thread for James Neal who's less than half a season into a five year contract. It seems like no matter how successful the team gets nothing trumps a thread regarding the current whipping boy.
It's because I expect more of James Neal and people should have a right to express their disappointment given he hasn't been performing up to what he should be capable of and think he's capable of much more.

Therefore the bashing of him right now for his on-ice performance is very warranted because he should be better than this and held to a higher standard.

Last edited by Karl; 12-10-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:29 PM   #1039
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
I fixed your post for you.

Hamonic as a new guy did the same thing last year. Neal doing so is nothing special.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:29 PM   #1040
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hamonic as a new guy did the same thing last year. Neal doing so is nothing special.
Except Hamonic is also well-noted as a super community minded guy.