Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Thoughts on the James Neal signing?
Love It 411 46.55%
Love the add, worried about the term 328 37.15%
Neutral 30 3.40%
Wait and see 71 8.04%
Hate it 43 4.87%
Voters: 883. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2018, 12:44 PM   #701
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Except he hasn't. He was projected to, but didn't get there. Suspensions and injuries happen, so until he breaks a ceiling, he isn't there yet.

Sure, maybe he scores 30 goals and maybe gets 30 assists. Fantastic. What if you are leaving another 10-15 goals and another 30 assists on the table because he has more to his game than Backlund can tap into? Play him with a guy that can meet Tkachuk's offensive level and reap the rewards.
Okay, if I read all your posts correctly:

- you think Tkachuk tops out as a 50 point player if he remains with Backlund (even though he was on pace for 60 last season)

- then you think maybe he can be a 30-30-60 with Backlund (even though that's the pace he was on last season, the 2nd NHL season of his career, playing with Backlund...)

- now you think that playing with Backlund is taking away 10-15 goals and 30 assists from Tkachuk, which would make Tkachuk a 45-60-105 player?

People, I think we officially have the best player in the NHL.

Now all we have to do is take Frolik away from Backlund and he'll turn into a two-way point per game player as well.

We're set.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:54 PM   #702
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
The lines I’d like to see are

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Neal
Bennett - Jankowski - Frolik
Foo - Ryan - Czarnik
Brouwer

Neal and Lindholm are interchangeable.
If Bennett could get back to playing center, imagine

Tkachuk - Bennett - Neal
Backlund - Ryan - Frolik (defensive line with 2 C in case one is waived)
Foo - Jankowski - Czarnik
Brouwer

Line 1 would drive other top lines into frustration night in and out, be able to play defensive but also put the puck in the net depending on how Peters wanted to match up.
Line 2 is heavy scoring
Line 3 is heavy on the defensive side but isn't shy to putting the puck in the net
Line 4 is your hustle / typical 4th line in the modern NHL

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:41 PM   #703
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was thinking about possible roster setups and you could pretty much have 2 centers on the three most used lines:

Tkachuk - Backlund - Ryan
Bennett - Jankowski - Neal

The Backlund line would do a lot of heavy lifting on matchups
Neal on the third balances the offence a bit more and they would likely have some better match ups.

The 4th line would be pretty dependable with a combination with the remaining pieces.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:00 PM   #704
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
I think he can do way better than that playing with a center with better offensive instincts and ability to make better passes. This is the year that Tkachuk should really take off, and I don't see it happening with Backlund as his center. Backlund just doesn't have the offensive instincts to take Tkachuk to the next level.
You forget that Backlund took a scrub like Bouma to career numbers.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to genetic_phreek For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 02:21 PM   #705
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
Yeah, Backlund doesnt get nearly enough credit.

On a crappy team playing 1st line minutes with no other responsibilities he could probably put up some impressive numbers, the fact that he can be a really good 2-way centre, excellent at draws and PKs and still put up offensive numbers says a lot about him.

Earlier in his career he had a lot of injury issues, but right now he is playing really well.

The real issue is that we need guys that can help him do some of the heavy lifting.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:12 PM   #706
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
Okay, if I read all your posts correctly:

- you think Tkachuk tops out as a 50 point player if he remains with Backlund (even though he was on pace for 60 last season)

- then you think maybe he can be a 30-30-60 with Backlund (even though that's the pace he was on last season, the 2nd NHL season of his career, playing with Backlund...)

- now you think that playing with Backlund is taking away 10-15 goals and 30 assists from Tkachuk, which would make Tkachuk a 45-60-105 player?

People, I think we officially have the best player in the NHL.

Now all we have to do is take Frolik away from Backlund and he'll turn into a two-way point per game player as well.

We're set.
No, you didn't read them correctly. Maybe I should have put in a spreadsheet for you, since you only see to be able to understand hockey when viewed with a spreadsheet in front of you.

I'm suggesting that Tkachuck has potential to be a lot better, with a better center. Maybe he turns into a goal scorer with someone that can dish the puck better? Maybe he turns into a better setup man, like he was in junior, if he plays with someone who is a better finisher? So far he's proven to be a 50ish point guy, but obviously has shown potential to be way better. I say give him a center with some creativity and see what happens. Backlund isn't that guy, doesn't play that style, and is holding him back IMO. I think with a center that shows some creativity and can set up Tkachuk, he could easily become the best goal scorer on the hockey team. I think he could turn into more of the player we saw in junior if he plays with the right center.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:47 PM   #707
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
Your memory is a little foggy. Check the box scores. Backlund and Bouma were on the ice together for only 8 of Bouma's 34 points that season. Bouma got more help from Granlund and Jones than he did from Backlund.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:53 PM   #708
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Your memory is a little foggy. Check the box scores. Backlund and Bouma were on the ice together for only 8 of Bouma's 34 points that season. Bouma got more help from Granlund and Jones than he did from Backlund.
Looks like what we really need to do is bring back David Jones to elevate Tkachuk!
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:59 PM   #709
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey-and_stuff View Post
Looks like what we really need to do is bring back David Jones to elevate Tkachuk!
Nawww, Backlund can do it just the same way he did it for Bouma. From a completely different line.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:21 PM   #710
prizefighterinferno
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
According to the article you presumably misappropriated that number (8) from, Backlund was on the ice for eight of Bouma's fifteen 5 on 5 goals.

https://flamesnation.ca/2016/04/27/t...kael-backlund/

Last edited by prizefighterinferno; 07-19-2018 at 05:25 PM.
prizefighterinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prizefighterinferno For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #711
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prizefighterinferno View Post
According to the article you presumably misappropriated that number (8) from, Backlund was on the ice for eight of Bouma's fifteen 5 on 5 goals.

Those numbers must have been in a spreadsheet.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 06:08 PM   #712
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't speak for everyone here, but I will say this.

I also want to see Tkachuk moved to a different line with a different center so that his production will improve.

However, this is 100% on the fact that with Backlund as his center, Tkachuk will be starting against stiffer competition and starting in the defensive zone way more often - both of these things make it more difficult to create offence.

I would absolutely love to see Backlund being set loose with some offensive zone starts against easier competition. I think you would see a massive increase in his point production. On the Flames, there simply isn't another center who even comes close to being that good defensively.

I am a firm believer that Backlund can put up quite a lot more points if given the favorable circumstances. I think that Monahan's line gets to feast at times because Backlund is doing a lot of the heavy lifting and allowing them to be put into situations that are easier to succeed in. Not taking a single thing away from Monahan - I think his defensive game is greatly underrated, and his ability to create offence is massively under-appreciated (you know, with all the talk that he is merely a product of Gaudreau).

Backlund has made Bouma a tonne of cash. Backlund has made Colborne a tonne of cash. Tkachuk got eased into the NHL alongside a vet who showed him how to play both sides of the puck and who generated offence for him. Tkachuk is a really good player, but I do think that under the less than favorable circumstances that the entire line plays under, I would argue that Tkachuk's production has been better than expected in part thanks to Backlund.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 06:20 PM   #713
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You should re-check your numbers.

A spreadsheet might help
Old 07-19-2018, 06:32 PM   #714
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prizefighterinferno View Post

Didn't misappropriate anything as I didn't even look at that article. I went by the actual game sheets from the 2014-15 season. I didn't go by whether he was on the ice, but who got the primary and secondary assists. You know, the people involved in the point generating event. Again, Backlund generated points on only eight of Bouma's 34 points that season.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:48 PM   #715
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Didn't misappropriate anything as I didn't even look at that article. I went by the actual game sheets from the 2014-15 season. I didn't go by whether he was on the ice, but who got the primary and secondary assists. You know, the people involved in the point generating event. Again, Backlund generated points on only eight of Bouma's 34 points that season.
Now you're changing your argument. You said Backlund and Bouma were on the ice together for only 8 goals, not that Backlund and Bouma were only in on 8 goals together.

And even then, you're still wrong, as Backlund actually generated points on 10 of Bouma's 34 points

#checkthespreadsheets
Old 07-19-2018, 06:54 PM   #716
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go check the game summaries from the NHL.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:12 PM   #717
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Go check the game summaries from the NHL.
Or... you can just check his scoring logs

https://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...1/scoring/2015
Old 07-28-2018, 08:23 PM   #718
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau hoping to play with Neal on the top line? He retweeted a link to this article: https://www.nhl.com/news/report-gaud...es/c-299611112

Also mentions that he’s looking forward to playing under Peters; thinks it will be a good fit.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2018, 08:43 PM   #719
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Gaudreau hoping to play with Neal on the top line? He retweeted a link to this article: https://www.nhl.com/news/report-gaud...es/c-299611112

Also mentions that he’s looking forward to playing under Peters; thinks it will be a good fit.
Here's the full interview from Philly: https://www.courierpostonline.com/st...mes/844962002/
Old 07-28-2018, 08:46 PM   #720
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post

That's interesting because in a recent interview, Peters reiterated his desire to have Lindholm on the that line. Hopefully doesn't cause some conflict.

Either way, I think you gotta give a few combos a try and see what works best, including Neal on top line.