Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-13-2018, 10:37 AM   #1
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:
Default 2018/19 Premier League

Fixtures are announced tomorrow (2am MST) so figured I'd get the thread started to keep things tidy.

Hoping for Liverpool to get Man City at home on the first day while we have them on the back foot recently and hopefully get a hard win under our belt out of the way.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #2
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

there is a leak floating around that this will be the opening week

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:43 PM   #3
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Anthony Martial’s agent Philippe Lamboley has provided an update on the player’s wishes for the future, and it’s not an update many Manchester United fans will be happy to hear. Asked if Martial has made a decision about he future, the agent told RMC: “After thinking about all the possibilities and scenarios, Anthony wants to leave Manchester United.”

Then asked the reason why, Laboley said: “There are many parameters, for now it’s premature to talk about it. [...] Manchester United wants to extend Anthony and does not want him to leave but we haven’t found agreement for several months. I think that when Manchester United, which is the most powerful club in the world, it must be remembered, does not find an agreement in eight months of negotiations, it is because they do really want to make him an important player.

“That’s why this decision comes in. It is a well considered decision. However, it is quite obvious and it is very important to remember that he is under contract, that Manchester United will have the last word and that we will respect the decision of the club, he will go to the end of its commitment.”

The agent explained that if it wasn’t for the support of Manchester United fans, Martial would have asked to leave the club already.

There’s clearly some frustration with the January signing of Alexis Sanchez and what that meant for the Frenchman’s chances in the team: “It is important to remember that this season he scored 11 goals and gave ten assists in five months. He was elected three times players of the month by the fans. Then arrived the transfer window of January. I will not comment on the consequences of this transfer window. Everyone will have his opinion, I think he must resume the course of his career. The time has come.”
http://sportwitness.co.uk/huge-updat...hester-united/

I ####ing loathe Mourinho so much. He never learns - you'd think the fact De Bruyne, Salah and Lukaku are currently playing for three of Chelseas biggest rivals would be a bit of food for thought, but no. I'm sure Martial will rip it up wherever he goes while Mourinho will buy some 30-year-old "star" and turn him into ####.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:48 PM   #4
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post

I ####ing loathe Mourinho so much. He never learns - you'd think the fact De Bruyne, Salah and Lukaku are currently playing for three of Chelseas biggest rivals would be a bit of food for thought, but no. I'm sure Martial will rip it up wherever he goes while Mourinho will buy some 30-year-old "star" and turn him into ####.
And playing well.

These were Mourinho cast-offs and KDB and Salah fought neck and neck for player of the year.

Mourinho is one of those managers that only works with money. He can assemble established players and make them successful but he cant do much more than that.

Hes going to end up like Wenger, someone who was an innovator until innovation passed him by and he couldnt keep up or adapt and hes trying to compensate for that with big purchases.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:03 PM   #5
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't imagine anything less than a league title or CL title will be good enough for Mourinho. He's already lost a lot of fans with the revolting style of play, but you'll take that trash if it means winning. Selling possibly the most popular player? Yeesh. I would imagine Martial for Willian+ is a very likely ending to this.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:22 PM   #6
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Martial has been linked with Spurs fairly regularly, and I really hope that happens. Apparently though, neither Rose nor Alderweireld are been sought by United anymore, so that might make it less likely.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:33 PM   #7
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Martial has been linked with Spurs fairly regularly, and I really hope that happens. Apparently though, neither Rose nor Alderweireld are been sought by United anymore, so that might make it less likely.
But can he dive?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-13-2018, 05:06 PM   #8
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
But can he dive?
At this point the only player I would like to sign more is Ramos.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:33 PM   #9
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post

That's why I can't excited by any new signings because ... it just doesn't matter

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:52 PM   #10
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
At this point the only player I would like to sign more is Ramos.
Good luck! Then if you could manage to sign Fellaini you could have the elbows flying all the way from the defence on forward.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:39 AM   #11
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 06-14-2018, 08:03 AM   #12
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
That's why I can't excited by any new signings because ... it just doesn't matter
well I still get excited because I feel the next manager will then have a solid base to work with. Mourinho will be gone sooner or later, and the next manager will surely find the Freds and Dalots of this summer window useful too. So I'm still excited about signings that make sense.

BBC and Sky say that United have no intention of selling Martial and that he's part of the long-term plan, so that's good. I hope the club put their feet down and don't let Mourinho make the call.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:33 PM   #13
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm looking at going to Chelsea and Arsenal games while I am there in September. It's been a minute since I went to a PL game (2011). Any recommendations on purchasing single game tickets, 2 per game?
mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:30 AM   #14
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

was to be somewhat expected with Alisson being Madrid bound, but still ... absolutely amazing news if true.

Quote:
David de Gea has agreed a new five-year deal with Manchester United.
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...nited-14790069
Old 06-15-2018, 10:36 AM   #15
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Did you guys know there is a rule that the top 6 can't play each other on the first or last day? I read that the other day for the first time.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:47 AM   #16
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
Did you guys know there is a rule that the top 6 can't play each other on the first or last day? I read that the other day for the first time.
Thoughts and prayers to Arsenal finishing in 7th or below this year! Hopefully they have to hire Big Sam halfway through the season to attempt a great escape!
Old 06-15-2018, 10:54 AM   #17
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thoughts and prayers to Arsenal finishing in 7th or below this year! Hopefully they have to hire Big Sam halfway through the season to attempt a great escape!
I would love to see Big Sam coach Arsenal. That would be a dream.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2018, 10:55 AM   #18
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Emery is getting two years, Kroenke is way too cheap to fire him.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:56 PM   #19
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Emery is getting two years, Kroenke is way too cheap to fire him.
Oh probably, but then if things are disastrous around Christmas (and here's hoping!), you have to do something.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:10 PM   #20
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Arsenal placing mid-table and even lower, is being overblown.

Their fans have wanted a new manager, and with that a reset -- further down the table is to be expected.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote