Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 07-05-2018, 04:11 PM   #21
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shankapotamus. Thanks for all the memories buds.

I'll look back fondly on your time as a Flame.

Such favorite memories will undoubtedly include:

- 1st unit "Brouwer"play time.
- Wearing an A.
- Being in the starting lineup.
- Intangibles.
- Leadership.
- Helping Sam Bennett develop into a 25 point player, despite being a #1 overall talent.
- Pucks off of shin pads when receiving a pass.
- Pucks into shin pads when giving a pass.
- Pucks into the goalies chest when shooting.
- Pucks into the netting when shooting.
- Pucks into shin pads when shooting.
- Icings for no reason.
- Leadership.
- Intangibles.
- Hands of the softest concrete when handling the puck.

To name a few.

Enjoy your buyout, Shankapotamus. You've earned it. Truly.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 04:21 PM   #22
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
So, you don't think there's value in getting a player that isn't working out off of the roster? If Brouwer is playing for the Flames this fall, it will make the team worse. Is it worth a year of not playing the best possible roster just to get cap space in 2020-2021?
I think that depends on who 'replaces' Brouwer (and how he is in the lockerroom). I think it's easy to hate on Brouwer for obvious reasons, but he's not any worse than Lazar or Hathaway. In fact, if injury to the top nine, I'd rather see Brouwer getting some time over those two.

Now if, say, Mangiapane or Foo do play their way onto the team (or rather should have) but Brouwer keeps a spot from them, then I could see the argument.

But even if he can be a "10-15-25" guy on the fourth line with some PP time and play up the lineup, that's not a bad player in that role. His contract sucks, and comes with massive expectations, but he has the same points as Bennett these last 2 years.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 04:27 PM   #23
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure why people think Brouwer is going to be bought out. The owners have shown before that they are reluctant to spend the money needed to rid themselves of bad contracts. Has happened before, but it's rare.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:29 PM   #24
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Not sure why people think Brouwer is going to be bought out. The owners have shown before that they are reluctant to spend the money needed to rid themselves of bad contracts. Has happened before, but it's rare.
?????

Have we forgotten Bouma and Raymond already?
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 04:30 PM   #25
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess the only change now is that they know they have Ryan and Neal's salary, and have probably a handle on what it takes to re-sign Hanifin and Lindholm. If they need cap room now, then they make the move. If not (and they don't think they will need it in a later trade or more UFAs) then, yeah, leave him be.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 04:37 PM   #26
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
?????

Have we forgotten Bouma and Raymond already?
and Murphy
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 04:39 PM   #27
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So, you don't think there's value in getting a player that isn't working out off of the roster? If Brouwer is playing for the Flames this fall, it will make the team worse. Is it worth a year of not playing the best possible roster just to get cap space in 2020-2021?
I think he's still the best 4th line right winger the Flames have. He and Hathaway bring a physical presence that is lacking. I just don't see the need to incur the extra buy out penalty only to have Hathaway or Lazar take Brouwer's place in the line up.

Sure Foo and Mangiapane could be ready, but they don't bring the physical element that Brouwer and Hathaway bring, which is something the Flames need. I think they have enough skill in the line up with the recent additions. It's all about balance. Plus, there will be injuries as well and that is when Mangiapane and Foo get called up and play in scoring roles, not grinder roles.

I don't think Brouwer on the 4th line makes the team worse. Brouwer on the top line or on the PP makes the team worse but that shouldn't be an issue anymore.

Last edited by 868904; 07-05-2018 at 04:42 PM.
868904 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 868904 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 04:52 PM   #28
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

A buyout only really saves $2M for the next 2 years (assuming replacement player at $1M), and costs 1.5M for 2 years after that.

$2M is not going to make the difference between winning the cup or not in the next 2 years. Hopefully, having that 1.5M will matter 3 years from now.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:57 PM   #29
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
A buyout only really saves $2M for the next 2 years (assuming replacement player at $1M), and costs 1.5M for 2 years after that.

$2M is not going to make the difference between winning the cup or not in the next 2 years. Hopefully, having that 1.5M will matter 3 years from now.
It might make the difference in signing lindholm and hanifin to long term deals though.
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheoFleury For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 04:57 PM   #30
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

The value of the Brouwer buyout is in the friends we made along the way. Also the open forward roster spot that can be used for any number of up-and-comers.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 05:00 PM   #31
mennoknight
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Cuz he sucks donkey dong
Old 07-05-2018, 05:00 PM   #32
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am hoping at least some of Brouwer's decline is due to GG coaching/systems.
Although if anything GG seemed to favor Brouwer. Still if we don't have to buy him out better to wait a year and hope he either rebounds enough to gain some value, or at least reduce the buyout penalty.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:19 PM   #33
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brouwer was fine last year.
Just no where near worth 4.5
Have to remove cap hit from evaluating who should be where
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:24 PM   #34
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can someone confirm when the buyout window is available? Is it before training camp, or after? Before the start of the regular season, or after?

Last edited by MarkGio; 07-05-2018 at 05:43 PM.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:31 PM   #35
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

The second buyout window, because of arbitration filings, is in mid August.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 05:36 PM   #36
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I thought he had his moments which fair minded fans could see, but folks with preconceived narratives ignored, and as long as he wasn't paired with Stajan he was good on the PK (I also thought Stajan was fine on PK when not paired with Brouwer). I think his IQ is higher than Hathaway who is his main competition for a 4th line role. He's had a couple of injuries the last two years which, while not serious, were constricting to his play I would imagine (broken finger and broken face).

Now, that all said, I do think he doesn't have an ideal skill set for the present style of the game, mainly in that he's not fast. He also seems like a guy who doesn't excel in short shift, low minutes roles. This is a problem because I don't see him getting up into the top 6 at all - or even likely the top 9.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 05:40 PM   #37
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I don’t agree with this even slightly. Even at a million dollars a year, 6 goals is not good enough. He was a mediocre at beat penalty killer. His effort was pathetic. He brought down every line he played on. He spent considerable time on the top powerplay unit with Gaudreau and Monahan and only managed 5 points on the PP.

Tory Brouwer was brutal, even on a league minimum contract. There is not enough hyperbole in the world to describe how awful Brouwer is. He is an absolute embarrassment to the Flames and the city.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 05:41 PM   #38
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

How do people come to the conclusion that Brouwer is "fine" in a specific role? He was given powerplay time, significantly more minutes than other players in the bottom six and better linemates than other players in the bottom six but still failed to produce and had terrible possession numbers.

If anything, we can conclude he will be severely worse given less minutes. What player in the history of hockey made improvements when demoted?
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 05:46 PM   #39
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I don't believe for one second that it makes the team worse if Troy Brouwer is playing for the Flames this fall. He is still better than many of their other options.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brick For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 05:52 PM   #40
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Not only do I hope we don't buy out Brouwer, I hope we sign him to an extension. 4 more years! 4 more years!
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote