Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #41
kootenayguy9
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A reminder Evanston will have two schools built by September 2016.

Evanston

Calgary School District

New kindergarten to Grade 4 school

Opening/final capacity: 600/600 students

Anticipated completion: 2016

Evanston

Calgary Roman Catholic Separate School District

New kindergarten to Grade 9 school

Opening/final capacity: 750/900 students

Anticipated completion: 2016
kootenayguy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #42
kootenayguy9
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
I just moved from Coventry to Chestermere, Conventry hills is ok but there are little punks who are into vandalism and smashed the door mirror on our car. There are a lot of bad drivers for some reason and the bus is faster to get downtown than driving on deerfoot. Driving in from Chestermere takes half the time it did from Coventry Hills but I would say the north end is better for traffic than the south. A friend of mine just moved to redwater and his house had the windows smashed and poop put on his deck as well as spraypaint. The punks also vandalized the community sign, seems like there are a lot of little vandals in redwater.

edit: School is an issue in Convetry hills as you have to enter a lottery to get your kid in the local school and if you dont get in you have to bus your kids to elementary, that was a huge consideration in moving to Chestermere.
There is no lottery for either Coventry Hills Elementary or Nose Creek Middle School if you live in Coventry Hills.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #43
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenayguy9 View Post
There is no lottery for either Coventry Hills Elementary or Nose Creek Middle School if you live in Coventry Hills.
Do you know if that applies to Country Hills Village as well (the small commmunity of townhouses and condos just west of Coventry)?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #44
kootenayguy9
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Do you know if that applies to Country Hills Village as well (the small commmunity of townhouses and condos just west of Coventry)?
If you live in Country Hills village you also go to Coventry Hills Elementary and Nose Creek Middle.
The Following User Says Thank You to kootenayguy9 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #45
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I live in Panorama and it's super convenient. Situated between 5 major super markets ( sobeys, two superstores, save on foods (building), TnT). Good amount of food close by. Consistent architecture. Lots of strip malls close by too.

Bad... landscaping is horrible. They left the grass uncut in public areas for most of the summer, not sure if that was because of the flooding. Exits out get pretty congested during rush hour and it's fairly far from downtown. Limited transit options if you are going East-West from Panorama.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:48 PM   #46
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Evanston has only one ####ty road in/out of the community. Its a nightmare in winter.
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #47
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarly View Post
Evanston has only one ####ty road in/out of the community. Its a nightmare in winter.
Yea... panorama has at least four exits. I don't know how Evanston can work with only the one on the north and one on the south end. They really need to finish up the 14th street interchange
Old 08-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #48
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillman16 View Post
Actually, you can be MUCH farther SOUTH of the centre of Calgary!

But who says being close to downtown is a Pro anyway?
The market does. That's why it's more expensive to live there.

I was down at the new community of Legacy this morning - otherwise known as North-Lethbridge. South of 210th Avenue.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #49
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
The market does. That's why it's more expensive to live there.

I was down at the new community of Legacy this morning - otherwise known as North-Lethbridge. South of 210th Avenue.
LOL - wow. How much is your time worth I guess?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:05 PM   #50
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Panaroma seems to be the place to buy a house lately as its pretty convenient to Superstore, Studio 16 and a ton of other places to shop. Through, I think they may not have any more spots left.

I have a few friends who live in Evanston and Kincora which seem to be the next best area to live in.

CPHL Dallas Stars
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #51
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarly View Post
Yah, that was one of my deciding factors of buying at Sage Hill rather than Evanston, even though Sage Hill is even more outskirt than Evanston. I mean, Symon's Valley can also be a nightmare if it shuts down (a couple of times due to accidents), but at least there are back ways to get back to the community via 144 Ave, Shaganappi, etc. Evanston is supposed to get a road out via Stoney Trail overpass to Panorama, but who knows when that will get done. It looks like there is also a rough in for a road to exit near the new Farmers Market (Symons Valley Ranch), but it doesn't look like much progress has been made there in the past year or so.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #52
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Yah, that was one of my deciding factors of buying at Sage Hill rather than Evanston, even though Sage Hill is even more outskirt than Evanston. I mean, Symon's Valley can also be a nightmare if it shuts down (a couple of times due to accidents), but at least there are back ways to get back to the community via 144 Ave, Shaganappi, etc. Evanston is supposed to get a road out via Stoney Trail overpass to Panorama, but who knows when that will get done. It looks like there is also a rough in for a road to exit near the new Farmers Market (Symons Valley Ranch), but it doesn't look like much progress has been made there in the past year or so.
The interchange has been graded by last I checked there wasn't even a schedule for getting that built. Maybe 5 years later at this rate? Oi.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #53
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think they plan on building that 14 St interchange until they're well into digging for Keystone Hills.

I like it here in Panorama, opening of the 96 Ave connection to Deerfoot and the Beddington/CHB interchange make the traffic bearable. If you're in Evanston... my apologies.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #54
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
That's a good spot to open up a Target. Easy access from nearby communities and lots of parking. Opening oen at that location will probably take away a good amount of business from Walmart in Deerfoot.
Yeah, that's not bad. Wonder why they have to tear down the old Rona though. It seemed to be kind of well set up for it a large store with lots of shelves... and the damn building was practically new! Too bad Rona couldn't make a go of it at the location.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #55
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kincora/Sage Hills and areas are fine. Traffic wise they are probably no worse than Rocky Ridge. But Skyview Ranch, boy, that's far.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #56
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
I live in Panorama and it's super convenient. Situated between 5 major super markets ( sobeys, two superstores, save on foods (building), TnT). Good amount of food close by. Consistent architecture. Lots of strip malls close by too.
This is a plus? That everything is beige vinyl?
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #57
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
This is a plus? That everything is beige vinyl?
I meant with types of buildings rather than the vinyl. You really can't get much in the way of nicer stucco now unless 600k+ in estate areas of communities. Consistency is much better than on the same street there being a duplex, single family home with detached rear facing garage, single family home with front facing garage as in some of the other communities. Panorama at least it's one street, all single family homes, one street all duplexs, rather than a random dogs breakfasts mess of variability. One takes planning and the other seems like it's just anything goes.

Last edited by FlameOn; 09-03-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #58
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
I meant with types of buildings rather than the vinyl. You really can't get much in the way of nicer stucco now unless 600k+ in estate areas of communities. Consistency is much better than on the same street there being a duplex, single family home with detached rear facing garage, single family home with front facing garage as in some of the other communities. Panorama at least it's one street, all single family homes, one street all duplexs, rather than a random dogs breakfasts mess of variability. One takes planning and the other seems like it's just anything goes.
Yes, planning:

Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #59
Dirty_Iguana
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Since moving to Calgary, I've lived in Panorama Hills, Kincora and Coventry Hills. For me, Coventry is heads & shoulders above the other 2.

In Panorama and Kincora, I felt like I was living in Pleasantville. All the houses looked eerily similar. There was little character at all. Sure, everything was new or new-ish... but I grew tired of both of those communities quickly.

I enjoy Coventry much more. 2 big shopping complexes are a 2 minute drive (or 10 min walk) from my house. 2 big parks are around the corner(s)...not to mention Cardel place and movie theatres.

AND, The houses have character! (No house on my street looks like mine, whereas the only thing separating my houses in Panorama and Kincora from my neighbours' was the colour). I also shave several minutes off of my commute each day being that much closer to the Deerfoot.

To each their own... but for me, Coventry Hills wins hands down.

(Real Estate wise, Coventry also seems to have better bang for the buck, especially compared to Panorama.)

Last edited by Dirty_Iguana; 09-04-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Dirty_Iguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 01:12 PM   #60
LostCatalyst
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I’m seriously considering buying a place in either Hidden Valley or Sandstone. Can anyone speak on the noise levels from planes? There are 2 airport noise maps. The old one has hidden valley in the 25 db range, whereas the new one it looks to be fine. I’d just like to hear an honest opinion from people who have lived there. For example, if you have windows open during the summer are the planes disturbing sleep? Or if you’re in your backyard is it pretty bad? Like bad enough to have to stop a conversation?
LostCatalyst is offline   Reply With Quote