Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2020, 01:57 PM   #1161
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I personally believe Nintendo is guilty of this at times but Microsoft and Sony are pumping out these consoles as fast as possible as neither wants to lose sales to the other due to unavailability.
I don't think Nintendo is acting maliciously with new hardware scarcity, I just think they are completely incompetent with many aspects of running a world wide distribution system. It fits in with them being incompetent in other areas like online functionality and maintaining a classic games library
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 02:39 PM   #1162
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I don't think Nintendo is acting maliciously with new hardware scarcity, I just think they are completely incompetent with many aspects of running a world wide distribution system. It fits in with them being incompetent in other areas like online functionality and maintaining a classic games library
I don't understand limiting digital versions of classic games. There's no other reason to do this outside of using scarcity to drive up hype and need to have now factor. I personally think they are the most calculating and shrewd of the console makers.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 10:56 AM   #1163
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I don't think they do it maliciously with their normal hardware (maybe they do, who knows), but for sure I think they did that with the NES and SNES classics just to create and sustain the buzz. There shouldn't have been any problems pumping those out like crazy if they wanted to.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2020, 12:37 PM   #1164
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nintendo got pretty burned on the GameCube, so they have been very careful since then not overcomitting to production. It's a pretty tough balance to get right at launch. You don't want to have to idle factories if you end up with a dud. For instance, had they looked at the success of the Wii, then planned the WiiU production based on Wii demand they would have been in a world of hurt. I don't really blame them when they get this wrong.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:28 PM   #1165
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1339321218923548672
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:52 PM   #1166
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

My take on demand for each system right now.

PS5 today had 4,269 disc and 419 digital. I tried to join the queue right when the tweet went out from Lbabinz, got into the waiting room right away, and I didn't even get out of the waiting room before they were sold out.

Series X had 1500 stock. I actually missed the tweet by about 2 minutes, joined the queue right away, was in the waiting room for like 15 seconds, and could easily add to cart and checkout (didn't because I don't need one but wanted to see).

Even with more stock available it feels way harder to get a PS5 right now.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 06:40 PM   #1167
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
My take on demand for each system right now.

PS5 today had 4,269 disc and 419 digital. I tried to join the queue right when the tweet went out from Lbabinz, got into the waiting room right away, and I didn't even get out of the waiting room before they were sold out.

Series X had 1500 stock. I actually missed the tweet by about 2 minutes, joined the queue right away, was in the waiting room for like 15 seconds, and could easily add to cart and checkout (didn't because I don't need one but wanted to see).

Even with more stock available it feels way harder to get a PS5 right now.
I think there are a couple of reasons for this but I think it is largely due to the momentum Sony has had since the release of the last gen. PS4 dominated the XBONE and when you look at the early returns Sony had a better launch lineup and a lot of hype around the controller. I am definitely biased but PlayStation is just better than Xbox
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 10:07 PM   #1168
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Playstation outsold Xbox 2:1 last gen...many people stick with their brand and the demand is certainly higher
Old 12-16-2020, 11:18 PM   #1169
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe not the place, but any recommendations on where I can find a decently priced PS4 controller? Also are these knock-off/generic ones any good? I’m finding it hard to justify spending $75, especially if I might upgrade in a year or so.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 01:06 AM   #1170
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I think there are a couple of reasons for this but I think it is largely due to the momentum Sony has had since the release of the last gen. PS4 dominated the XBONE and when you look at the early returns Sony had a better launch lineup and a lot of hype around the controller. I am definitely biased but PlayStation is just better than Xbox
PlayStation exclusives are better for sure. As for hardware the Xbox is better. The praise for the new controller is overblown in my opinion, after playing for a month now I can honestly say it never really blew me away. I hate the battery life and do not look forward to spending $90 on replacement eventually.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 06:50 AM   #1171
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel battery life is definitely better on the new controller. That was a major gripe of mine with the PS4. It's a really good controller and definately Sony's best to date and the rumble and speaker for me at least add a noticeable difference. When the consoles launched I gave the edge to PS5 in appearance but that changed once I got my hands on them. I think the PS5 itself is ugly (if it was 2/3 scale would have looked much better) and cheap feeling while the One X design is elegant, simple, and robust feeling. Time will tell with this generation as Microsoft's acquisition of Bethesda definitely changes things but it's going to take a couple of years for that to be realized.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2020, 08:02 AM   #1172
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
PlayStation exclusives are better for sure. As for hardware the Xbox is better. The praise for the new controller is overblown in my opinion, after playing for a month now I can honestly say it never really blew me away. I hate the battery life and do not look forward to spending $90 on replacement eventually.
I disagree with your controller take. I think it has been the most next-gen feeling jump from the previous consoles. Battery life has been a non issue for me and I think everything about it is an upgrade on the PS4. At least that stands out from the PS4.

What has Xbox done at launch to really make the jump from the One to the Series X worth it?
Old 12-17-2020, 08:18 AM   #1173
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What has Xbox done at launch to really make the jump from the One to the Series X worth it?
Really though what has PS5 done at launch any better when it comes to games? I've enjoyed Demon Souls but its not a new game nor is Spiderman as Miles Morales is more DLC than a new game.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:57 AM   #1174
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
Maybe not the place, but any recommendations on where I can find a decently priced PS4 controller? Also are these knock-off/generic ones any good? I’m finding it hard to justify spending $75, especially if I might upgrade in a year or so.
Usually Amazon has pretty good deals on them during Black Friday /Boxing week / Prime Days. Last two controllers I picked up were during those times, and I think I got it about ~$30 off.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:17 AM   #1175
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

After having both the Series X and the PS5 for about a month now I'm really loving both consoles. It's definitely a luxury to have both, but I think this is the first generation where it is somewhat justifiable to own both given what they offer.

The PS5 definitely had more of my attention at first. It has some true next gen launch games, a unique controller, and is supremely fast. It's great how the SSD has removed so much of the annoying bits of the PS4. There is zero load times for getting into the PSN Store or while fast travelling during a game. I have zero doubt Sony will hit on their exclusives too. It's the best thing about Sony coming from the PS4.

I love the design of the controller (even if it can come across a tad gimmicky), but that console is a beast. I actually do like the design of it, but if it was scaled down 20% it would look much better. Not a huge deal though as it fits into my entertainment center just fine.

Now that I've played through Miles Morales, Bugsnax, and Astrobot I've found that I'm spending more time on my Series X. Demon's Souls isn't for me and I'm not willing to pay full price for Sackboy.

The Series X is a beautiful machine- no substantial updates to the Xbox controller, but this thing just feels right. It's perfect for games like Warzone or Fortnite. I guess the design of the console is subjective, but side by side the Xbox looks much better than the PS5 to me. It's understated.

Gamepass has been really great in combination with quick resume. Run through a mission in Control, play a round of Tetris Connected, play a game of Madden, join a party for a game of Warzone while bypassing any load times or set up. It's really changed the way I games. There are some great indies on Gamepass too.

There is so much content on Gamepass there will always be something to play. The exclusives aren't there yet, but I'm confident in Microsoft to deliver this generation. They know this is where they fell flat last gen and have made real improvements to their first party studios through acquisitions. Fable, Forrza, Halo, Gears, Perfect Dark are all on the way and I'm sure they will have a few surprises too. Getting these games day 1 on Gamepass is huge.

The PS5 runs really well, but it does make some noise occasionally when inserting a disk or downloading something from the store. Nothing major of course, but the Series X hasn't made a peep yet. Both are such huge improvements over their previous gen counterparts.

I'm almost surprised that I have zero regrets from picking up both on pre-orders. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2020, 09:42 AM   #1176
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Really though what has PS5 done at launch any better when it comes to games? I've enjoyed Demon Souls but its not a new game nor is Spiderman as Miles Morales is more DLC than a new game.
That is fair when it comes to games. They decided to release most of the titles on the PS4 as well so I agree. I think the dual sense is the best reason for the upgrade day 1.

I have always been a console at launch guy since the PS2 and I know it is a 6-7 year lifecycle so I buy it at launch if I can. End of the day there hasn’t been a launch title for any system to get that excited about.

Ideally had Sony been able to make Miles Morales a game as big as the original Spider-Man and had it be a PS5 exclusive that would have been a better move. I agree it was more of a DLC and it is also available on the PS4.
Old 12-17-2020, 10:19 AM   #1177
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree with your controller take. I think it has been the most next-gen feeling jump from the previous consoles. Battery life has been a non issue for me and I think everything about it is an upgrade on the PS4. At least that stands out from the PS4.

With Haptic feedback heavy games such as Astro's playroom and COD Cold War, my PS5 controllers life has been anywhere between 4.5 to 6 hours. That in my eyes is terrible. Due to my setup and environmental hazards (3 dogs) I am unable to run 15 foot cords to allow for charging while playing without the possibility of a dog running across and blowing up my PS5.

And I have said before, I play a lot of COD Warzone and the haptic feedback for heavy guns and the triggers actually hinders my ability to snap to targets and fire as quickly as possibly. So once I finished the campaign on PS5 I deleted it and installed it on my Series X so I can use the Elite controller.

If you can't see why an upgrade from the base Xbox one to the Series X would be worth it...look directly at Cyberpunk 2077 and any other hardware intensive games, which can be said for the PS4 > PS5 as well. As for an upgrade from the One X to the Series X, Quick resume (which is amazing), full Dolby vision/atmos support in games( for those that can take advantage of it like myself), VRR.

And one major difference I see personally between my two consoles is the PS5 runs hot with some noticeable fan noise while the Series X doesn't do either.

Like others have said before, this gen is a great one to own both.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:24 AM   #1178
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I've yet to have a battery issue on long sessions in Warzone or Cold War. Both before and after I turned haptic triggers off, which seems a lot easier than switching consoles just to play it.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:25 AM   #1179
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would classify Miles Morales as a shorter full game. I would have liked it to have been a little longer but I don't feel like I was ripped off. I think had it been released a year ago on just the PS4 it would have been $50 like Uncharted: The Lost Legacy.

I think people have been spoiled with a lot of games games being 40+ hours now and some DLC being as long as a full game so anything under the 15 hour mark is considered too short. Personally, once a game reaches the 8 hour mark I'm fine with the length unless I paid $20-$25 like I did for Blair Witch which was about 5. But if I regularly paid $80-$90 for games I might feel different.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:30 AM   #1180
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I would classify Miles Morales as a shorter full game. I would have liked it to have been a little longer but I don't feel like I was ripped off. I think had it been released a year ago on just the PS4 it would have been $50 like Uncharted: The Lost Legacy.

I think people have been spoiled with a lot of games games being 40+ hours now and some DLC being as long as a full game so anything under the 15 hour mark is considered too short. Personally, once a game reaches the 8 hour mark I'm fine with the length unless I paid $20-$25 like I did for Blair Witch which was about 5. But if I regularly paid $80-$90 for games I might feel different.
Putting 100+ hours into Witcher III

Spoiler!
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote