Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-13-2020, 01:10 PM   #861
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remember how the Crown Royal harvest got really expensive? Then 6 months later you could find it everywhere for $40? Ya, that's what I'm waiting for on this one. $500 is insane.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 01:50 PM   #862
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, I should have sold my bottles! Had no idea there'd be a markup like that
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 01:17 PM   #863
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just kidding, elected to return the cheap scotch and buy some Writer's Tears instead.

Last edited by shermanator; 11-27-2020 at 04:04 PM.
shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 02:25 PM   #864
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone spotted any good Black Friday deals on scotch? Looking for gift options around or under $100 for relatively smooth scotches (Oban would be a decent comparable). Also for my personal consumption.

EDIT: Damn, I have made posts on three different alcohol threads. End of the work week is always good.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:59 PM   #865
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
EDIT: Damn, I have made posts on three different alcohol threads. End of the work week is always good.
The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2020, 06:04 PM   #866
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.
I never thought of work that way, but you might be on to something.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2020, 07:43 PM   #867
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

A bit of a single malt snob, but have tried a blend here and there. Not been a fan.

Until....Green Label. Read an article about JW stuff and the Green got a great review. Read some more and the Green is very different than the other JWs. Its a blend of only single malts 15 year +, so not really a "blend" and it's not peaty.

Anyways, bought a bottle, tried it. Excellent stuff. Better than Blue. Almost no smoke, more of a highland honey malt. And it explodes with flavours like a good single malt would. Nothing like the boring Black Label.

Anyways, for $70 its a really good buy.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:13 PM   #868
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
A bit of a single malt snob, but have tried a blend here and there. Not been a fan.

Until....Green Label. Read an article about JW stuff and the Green got a great review. Read some more and the Green is very different than the other JWs. Its a blend of only single malts 15 year +, so not really a "blend" and it's not peaty.

Anyways, bought a bottle, tried it. Excellent stuff. Better than Blue. Almost no smoke, more of a highland honey malt. And it explodes with flavours like a good single malt would. Nothing like the boring Black Label.

Red discussing Green over Blue. Well done.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2020, 10:31 PM   #869
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If you haven't tried the gold, I've had the flights a couple of times, and always thought that the gold tasted better than the platinum or the blue.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:40 PM   #870
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
If you haven't tried the gold, I've had the flights a couple of times, and always thought that the gold tasted better than the platinum or the blue.
Correct. I believe they mentioned that green was discontinued for a few years and replaced by gold and platinum. I haven't had either, but now I will for sure try the gold.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:22 AM   #871
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Welp, I'm out.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:54 AM   #872
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Welp, I'm out.
The Green you want is this one then. I've never had it so not sure if any good.

https://maltymates.com/en/whiskyexpr...-island-green/

Last edited by Red; 11-28-2020 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:59 AM   #873
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That’s funny because about a year or so ago, I bought a bottle of the Green because the price was right. It’s not completely gone (I don’t actually drink very often), but I powered through most of that bottle pretty quickly. It’s not really my favourite, as I like some smoke and peat, but it’s smooth and tasty anyway. And for the price you really can’t go wrong.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Red
Old 11-28-2020, 09:16 AM   #874
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

First off, I'm not much of a scotch drinker, preferring bourbon.

But I have been branching out more since Covid and picked up a bottle of Macallan 12 YR double cask. It is very nice and IMO likely appeals to the bourbon drinker with the smoother finish. To me it tastes kind of like Christmas.

Speaking of which, three days until the whiskey advent calendar gets opened.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 01:37 PM   #875
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post

But I have been branching out more since Covid and picked up a bottle of Macallan 12 YR double cask. It is very nice and IMO likely appeals to the bourbon drinker with the smoother finish. To me it tastes kind of like Christmas.

What is your go-to sipping bourbon, or any solid bourbon recommendations? I have tried more on the entry variety (Maker's Mark etc).

Picked up Knob Creek Small Batch a few weeks back since it was at a decent price. Also used it to make an old-fashioned and it turned out pretty well.
Old 11-28-2020, 02:34 PM   #876
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What is your go-to sipping bourbon, or any solid bourbon recommendations? I have tried more on the entry variety (Maker's Mark etc).

Picked up Knob Creek Small Batch a few weeks back since it was at a decent price. Also used it to make an old-fashioned and it turned out pretty well.
Knob Creek is great value and definitely fantastic for cocktails.

I had Whistlepig in an Old Fashioned in Vegas about 2 years ago. That was an expensive cocktail but delicious. Since then I have bought the occasional bottle for myself and would call it my go to brand. It is a little pricey here in the US so I can only imagine how much in Canada. Now it is not a bourbon, it is made of rye. But it is typically found with other bourbons at nice liquor stores. The 12 year is generally what I get.

For an actual bourbon, either Twelve Roses or Woodford Reserve small batch are great for drinking neat or on the rocks. I would highly recommend both.

Bulleit also makes a fine bourbon IMO at a very reasonable price.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2020, 08:07 PM   #877
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Try the Woodford Doublewood. Really good.
Old 11-29-2020, 05:44 AM   #878
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

My favorites are Michter's and Bib & Tucker.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2020, 08:04 PM   #879
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post

For Bourbon drinkers looking to drop a little more cash on scotch, get the Tamdhu 15. All that caramel you get in bourbon but malty.

As for bourbon, the only one I keep on my shelf at all times is Eagle Rare 10.

Last edited by MRCboicgy; 11-29-2020 at 08:07 PM.
MRCboicgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:57 PM   #880
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Woodford Reserve is now at Costco for a good price. 1.75l for $84. I like the Woodford reserve double oaked as well. For a cheaper bourbon, I like the Weller Special Reserve.

For scotch my go to is the Balvenie 15 Caribbean (Rum) Cask. It's an easy drinking Scotch. Cheapest place in the city is Superstore at $85.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote