Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #221
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Superstore has a pretty good well priced selection of scotch as well.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #222
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalera403 View Post
If he really likes the peat I would check out ardbeg 10 year old or if you can find it a cask strength 12 yo lagavulin
I'm fairly new to scotch, and one of my early favourites is Ardbeg. I love the smoke and peat though. I have even considered buying "peat cones" from their web site (think incense that smells like a peat fire!), but the shipping was absurd. I'm sure that my wife would be thrilled if I made the house smell like peat smoke!

And if anyone else likes Ardbeg, pick it up at Highlander. The shelf price is about $79 or so, but it rings in at about $59 at the till. I asked if this was the permanent price, and the lady said "yes". I then asked why it wasn't reflected on the shelf price the last two times I have bought it (once for my Dad), and she shrugged and said "I'm not sure."
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:13 AM   #223
Murrfk
Draft Pick

This is a good thread, which really demonstrates the diversity of tastes that people have. I have been exploring single malts for a while, and have yet to find one that I really don't like. However, each is different, and some taste different depending on mood and what you've eaten/tasted before hand. I have a tasting blog on scotch in case anyone is interested. Singlemaltscotches.blogspot.ca Feel free to comment if you wish.

I think my all time favourite so far is Bowmore the Devils Casks. Very complex and full flavoured.

Last edited by Murrfk; 01-03-2014 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Typo in blog ip
Murrfk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Murrfk For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #224
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Question, is Johnny Walker Blue really worth the hype?

Ended up picking up a bottle from Duty free for $160 Canadian (LCBO retails at $299.99 + tax). Looking forward to tasting it and comparing it with the Red, Black, and Double Black I already have.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:06 PM   #225
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murrfk View Post
This is a good thread, which really demonstrates the diversity of tastes that people have. I have been exploring single malts for a while, and have yet to find one that I really don't like. However, each is different, and some taste different depending on mood and what you've eaten/tasted before hand. I have a tasting blog on scotch in case anyone is interested. Singlemaltscotches@blogspot.ca Feel free to comment if you wish.

I think my all time favourite so far is Bowmore the Devils Casks. Very complex and full flavoured.
Nice work on the blog! What does a bottle of the Bowmore run? At such a small number, that might be a nice collectors piece...

I think its amusing that you had the same experience with Aberlour as well. We polished off a bottle one (rather lengthy) night. Really tasty for a cheap single malt!

Last edited by Slava; 01-03-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:14 PM   #226
toonmaster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonmaster View Post
The Johnnie Walker blends are just #### in my opinion. I had high hopes the Gold would be up to par, but it fell flat on its face. It will be a while before I go exploring in Johnnie's world again.
I have a bottle of this in my cupboard now:

http://whiskycast.com/ratings/johnni...he-gold-route/

All I have to say is wow. It is superb. I sampled the spice route as well, and it was also fantastic. This bottle has totally changed my view on Johnnie Walker. I still maintain that the red, black, and gold is pure junk, but once you get into their more premium levels, it seems to totally turn the corner.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #227
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchoy View Post

Ended up picking up a bottle from Duty free for $160 Canadian (LCBO retails at $299.99 + tax). Looking forward to tasting it and comparing it with the Red, Black, and Double Black I already have.
No. Not a chance.

Also, don't ever buy the tiny sample bottles. Waste of money.

On NYE, my neighbour and I did a sampling. His 375mL sample bottle of Blue, and a flight of Red, Black, Platinum and a proper size Blue.

First, the sample size was complete garbage. Like, worse than the red.

Red is pretty bad.
Black is drinkable.
Platinum is oily but not too bad.
Blue is good, but oily and doesn't really have any defining characteristics other than being a relatively smooth drink.

For the price, you are much better off buying a single malt IMO.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:52 PM   #228
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nice comparisons Kermitology, I'll keep this in mind when I open mine up to sample.
I got the 750ml
There was also a much more expensive, and larger Blue Cast edition. At a higher alcohol content, it would be a little more intense than the regular Blue. However, it was a bit more than I really wanted to spend, especially without being able to sample it, so I stuck with the 750ml Blue first. The main selling point with the higher editions of Johnny is the smoothness.

No worries though, I do have a good collection of the single malts. I just wanted a Blue for the collection.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #229
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If there are any lurkers like myself who want to get into the scotch lifestyle but can't quite stomach the taste yet try a Rusty Nail. You do 1 for 1 Drambuie and Scotch and if you start with a bad scotch it really sweetens it out and then when you drink just a regular glass of scotch afterwords it makes it taste amazing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusty_Nail_%28cocktail%29
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #230
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
If there are any lurkers like myself who want to get into the scotch lifestyle but can't quite stomach the taste yet try a Rusty Nail. You do 1 for 1 Drambuie and Scotch and if you start with a bad scotch it really sweetens it out and then when you drink just a regular glass of scotch afterwords it makes it taste amazing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusty_Nail_%28cocktail%29
Buy some Cutty Sark or J&B or JW Red for that though! Don't use a single malt for mixing.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #231
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Buy some Cutty Sark or J&B or JW Red for that though! Don't use a single malt for mixing.
That is why I said a bad scotch! Don't waste the good stuff or use someone's good stuff to do it or you will be shot! Keep it cheap mix the drink enjoy its goodness then have a good scotch right after and it will taste magical
The Following User Says Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #232
Murrfk
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Nice work on the blog! What does a bottle of the Bowmore run? At such a small number, that might be a nice collectors piece...

I think its amusing that you had the same experience with Aberlour as well. We polished off a bottle one (rather lengthy) night. Really tasty for a cheap single malt!
The bowmore devils cask runs just under 100 a bottle. I bought 5. Won't be getting another chance at it and it is exceptional.

I do like the aberlour for "everyday use"!
Murrfk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Murrfk For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2014, 08:22 PM   #233
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Superstore has a pretty good well priced selection of scotch as well.
I concur, their Ardbeg 10 yr is only 56, compared to 74 at KWM or 63 at Co-op.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:47 PM   #234
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I picked up a scotch advent calender at Kengsington this year. Turned out to be an excellent experience trying out a pile of new scotch.

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies...ar-2012/?srh=1

Here is the list from a month long tasting,

Master of Malt Islay Single Malt
Deanston Batch 1
Yamazaki 12 Year Old
Lagavulin 16 Year Old
Pig’s Nose
Talisker 57 Degrees North
Benriach Heart of Speyside
Auchentoshan Three Wood
Arran 16 Year Old Single Cask
anCnoc 12 Year Old
Blended Malt Batch 1
Dalmore 15 Year Old
Glen Parker Single Malt
Johnnie Walker Black Label 12 Year Old
Bruichladdich Laddie Classic Edition 1
Isle of Skye 6 Year Old (Ian Macleod)
Green Spot Single Pot Still
Deanston 19 Year Old Single Cask (Master of Malt)
Loch Lomond Single Malt
Speyburn Bradan Orach
Arran 10 Year Old
Clynelish 1997 Oloroso Sherry Distiller’s Edition
Bowmore 15 Year Old Darkest
Master of Malt 50 Year Old Speyside (3rd Edition)
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:03 PM   #235
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Nice comparisons Kermitology, I'll keep this in mind when I open mine up to sample.
I got the 750ml
There was also a much more expensive, and larger Blue Cast edition. At a higher alcohol content, it would be a little more intense than the regular Blue. However, it was a bit more than I really wanted to spend, especially without being able to sample it, so I stuck with the 750ml Blue first. The main selling point with the higher editions of Johnny is the smoothness.

No worries though, I do have a good collection of the single malts. I just wanted a Blue for the collection.

Yeah, it's certainly a smooth scotch, but I still think you get a better experience from a $120 single malt. There's basically no excuse IMO for drinking anything other than Blue, but at the price, it's just not good enough for me.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #236
EYE_Overstand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Really overrated.
I prefer single malts over blends though
EYE_Overstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:51 PM   #237
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those interested in single-malt Scotch, see below photos from my trip to the four most famous Isle of Islay distilleries in Scotland: Bowmore, Laphroig, Lagavulin and Ardbeg. At Bowmore, we were able to see the entire production process starting from spreading barley on the floor all the way to the first fill of newmake. Any questions, let me know.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5169344...7639594931616/

CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2014, 03:56 PM   #238
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
For those interested in single-malt Scotch, see below photos from my trip to the four most famous Isle of Islay distilleries in Scotland: Bowmore, Laphroig, Lagavulin and Ardbeg. At Bowmore, we were able to see the entire production process starting from spreading barley on the floor all the way to the first fill of newmake. Any questions, let me know.

Drool!

Thanks, now I have a pressing desire to grab a bottle of Lagavulin on the way home work.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flacker For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2014, 04:11 PM   #239
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
...now I have a pressing desire to grab a bottle of Lagavulin on the way home work.
Well, you better do it soon, as chances are it will be more expensive next year. There is a big problem brewing in the single-malt world caused mainly by the shortage of bourbon, sherry and port oak casks and the warehouse space for aging. Scotch companies have been successfully cultivating the idea of the older-age Scotch being better than younger-made Scotch for the last 50 years or so. The fact is – they really are smoother and more refined. The conundrum is that they didn't expect expensive Scotch to become so popular. The demand for older Scotch is higher than what they can reasonably produce. By law, no malt components of the Scotch with a stated age on the bottle can be younger than the age stated. The solution: marketing a lot of new Scotch without stated age under different "models". Bruichladdich distillery purchased and revived by a savvy entrepreneur from bankruptcy has pioneered making new Scotch and calling it "funky" names. Older distilleries are following. Older Scotch is used increasingly for making the "ageless" new spirits under new names with bottle descriptions saying something to the effect "25-yr Scotch was used in making this spirit" etc.

National Post and New Yorker both published reports on this situation. Long story short, fine aged single-malt Scotch will likely become rarer and more expensive in the near future, so stocking up is not such a bad idea.
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2014, 12:24 PM   #240
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone have any insight on Tamnavulin 14 yr? I had a glass of it at Buchanan's and enjoyed it. Seemed to be a little weaker tasting then other Scotch's I have tried. Anyone had any before is it good or junk? Should I try and hunt down a bottle or look elsewhere