Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2022, 11:53 AM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default Bruce Willis steps away from acting

https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment...tion-1.5841156

Quote:
Bruce Willis is suffering from a medical condition that is affecting his cognitive abilities and will be taking a break from acting, his family shared Wednesday.
In a post on his daughter Rumor's verified Instagram account, the caption on a photo of the "Die Hard" actor read: "To Bruce's amazing supporters, as a family we wanted to share that our beloved Bruce has been experiencing some health issues and has recently been diagnosed with aphasia, which is impacting his cognitive abilities."
"As a result of this and with much consideration Bruce is stepping away from the career that has meant so much to him," the caption continued. "This is a really challenging time for our family and we are so appreciative of your continued love, compassion and support

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 11:57 AM   #2
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

This has been the long standing rumour for some time with the line of thought being he was either not of sound mind and that's why he was taking so many awful and B movie roles or that he knew he was on a limited time frame and wanted to work as much as possible before he couldn't work anymore and that's why he was taking so many awful and B movie roles.

Either way, I hope he is comfortable and is still able to enjoy the fruits of his labour, even if the labour isn't doable anymore.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2022, 12:01 PM   #3
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
This has been the long standing rumour for some time with the line of thought being he was either not of sound mind and that's why he was taking so many awful and B movie roles or that he knew he was on a limited time frame and wanted to work as much as possible before he couldn't work anymore and that's why he was taking so many awful and B movie roles.
This sounds very likely. I checked his IMDB, he has 11 movies coming out this year and did another 8 last year. None would be considered anything but B level, direct to streaming, action movies.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 01:32 PM   #4
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sad news. Wonder if he had a stroke that wasn't reported?
Old 03-30-2022, 01:34 PM   #5
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regardless of what he was doing and why, hopefully he has surrounded himself with good people who will help him and we dont see another Elder/Infirm abuse situation.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 01:49 PM   #6
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://lifehacker.com/what-to-know-...you-1848728176

He has aphasia, so it's a speech issue. It would explain why in most of his recent movies he barely spoke.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 07:59 PM   #7
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if it's related but in a few movies he had a bit of slurry speech. Though he generally played the same character, I always liked his movies as he does seem like a pretty good guy. Hope he can get the treatment he needs, as that seems like a very frustrating condition to have when you're fully there but can't express yourself as much as you'd like to.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 08:55 AM   #8
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://lifehacker.com/what-to-know-...you-1848728176

He has aphasia, so it's a speech issue. It would explain why in most of his recent movies he barely spoke.
wow. I had no idea there were so many types and that you can have more than one type.

"A person with aphasia can still have completely normal cognition otherwise, and no physical issues with their ears or mouth, but find themselves unable to say what they mean or understand what they hear."

that would be brutal. Also not even being able to understand what you hear. just trapped in your mental prison.

I do admit that I quit being a fan a few years ago as he started making so many bad movies. I don't know if I really enjoyed anything of his or watched anything of his all the way through since around Looper.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 09:52 AM   #9
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well, its pretty clear that he just took offers on almost every script over the last couple of years no matter how bad, just so he could make money.

Jason Brant who does the So Bad its Good youtube channel just jumped in on one of Willis' B movies and was pretty scathing on Willis. He released that video last week, bet he feels differently about Willis now.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 09:55 AM   #10
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
wow. I had no idea there were so many types and that you can have more than one type.

"A person with aphasia can still have completely normal cognition otherwise, and no physical issues with their ears or mouth, but find themselves unable to say what they mean or understand what they hear."

that would be brutal. Also not even being able to understand what you hear. just trapped in your mental prison.

I do admit that I quit being a fan a few years ago as he started making so many bad movies. I don't know if I really enjoyed anything of his or watched anything of his all the way through since around Looper.
Yeah, it would suck really bad. I was reading about the condition and it sounds like severe depression is often a part of the condition likely from the horrifying loneliness that comes with it.
Old 03-31-2022, 01:21 PM   #11
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Yes in light of this news, it sounds like he was taking as many B roles in those direct to video movies as he could in the last few years while he could because he knew it was his last chance to make some money and then work on his degenerative illness.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 01:49 PM   #12
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

if you ignore the click bait headline,
some info in here about his decline while still making films.

Really does make me sad he was reduced to the state he's in.

https://canoe.com/entertainment/cele...2-07e1f17eec2b
Old 03-31-2022, 03:12 PM   #13
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Moonlighting and die hard movies were outstanding…especially die hard 1 and 2. Good luck and best wishes to Bruce Willis in this difficult journey ahead of him.

I heard the illness described as being in a foreign country where you couldn’t understand the language either to hear it or speak it. Very isolating.
Old 03-31-2022, 04:14 PM   #14
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Yes in light of this news, it sounds like he was taking as many B roles in those direct to video movies as he could in the last few years while he could because he knew it was his last chance to make some money and then work on his degenerative illness.
My fear is he wasnt taking the movies, they were being picked for him, there are quotes from film crews where Willis was asking them what he was doing there, that he had no idea why he was on a film set, that sounds like dementia and if so it cant have been him that was eagerly searching for roles it sounds more like his 'team' was wringing the last few paychecks out of him.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2022, 10:11 AM   #15
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol! The Razzies have more integrity than the Academy Awards.

Quote:
The Razzies, a tongue-in-cheek award show that hands out honors to the worst cinema of the year, has rescinded its prize for Bruce Willis after the actor's family revealed he is struggling with aphasia, a medical condition that affects his cognitive abilities.

"After much thought and consideration, the Razzies have made the decision to rescind the Razzie Award given to Bruce Willis, due to his recently disclosed diagnosis," a statement from The Razzies said. "If someone's medical condition is a factor in their decision making and/or their performance, we acknowledge that it is not appropriate to give them a Razzie."

The Razzies this year "nominated" Willis for eight of his performances this year in a category named for him, "Worst performance by Bruce Willis in a 2021 movie." The group ultimately decided his role in "Cosmic Sin" was the so-called winner.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/31/enter...lis/index.html

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2022, 10:45 AM   #16
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Lol! The Razzies have more integrity than the Academy Awards.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/31/enter...lis/index.html
yep!
not to mention this

The Razzies also announced on Thursday that it was rescinding a decades-old nomination for Shelley Duvall, whose performance in "The Shining" earned her a nomination at the time.
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2022, 03:11 PM   #17
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
Moonlighting and die hard movies were outstanding…especially die hard 1 and 2. Good luck and best wishes to Bruce Willis in this difficult journey ahead of him.

I heard the illness described as being in a foreign country where you couldn’t understand the language either to hear it or speak it. Very isolating.
Die Hard 2 is an absolutely terrible movie, Willis is the only real redeeming factor. DH With A Vengeance is far better and the best Die Hard movie outside the original
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 01:16 PM   #18
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://tvline.com/2023/02/16/bruce-...ned-statement/

Quote:
Bruce Willis‘ condition has worsened. One year after he was first diagnosed with aphasia, the Willis family has announced that the Moonlighting star is suffering from frontotemporal dementia.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 02:11 PM   #19
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

That sucks. Dementia is a terrible way for a person to go out.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 02:19 PM   #20
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

sad news ... dementia is a real bitch for everybody involved.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote