Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2020, 12:18 PM   #721
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Old 10-15-2020, 12:22 PM   #722
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ouch. That’s kind of a big slight to Lucas, no?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:11 PM   #723
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

ROTJ is great minus the ewoks.

But there are less interesting battle sequences in movies today so meh.

Tatooine, the throne room and the space battle are highly entertaining. The endor speedbike sequence too.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:28 PM   #724
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I honestly don't even hate the Ewoks. The major issue is what the Ewoks did to the franchise. They were the first truly child focused characters and became the predecessor to characters like Jar Jar Binks. I guess, ultimately, you could blame the toy sales for that, and not the Ewoks.

I still appreciate some of the Ewok humour. The way they played of C3POs extremely dry personality was great. The light-hearted nature of the Ewoks also worked as a great contrast to the extreme somberness of the Luke/Palpatine confrontation. That whole sequence of events, switching between the throne room/endor/the space battle is brilliantly executed.

The battle with the Ewoks isn't even all that cringy. For the most part, they use relatively intelligent guerilla tactics. It's not as though they hand it to the Empire either. Most of their tactics just distract. There's obviously a few stupid things in there, like the Ewok riding the speeder bike, but that's all just relatively minor, and even then a pretty great use of practical effects for its day.

If Lucas had access to CGI when ROTJ was made, that would have been something horific. If he'd had the ability to give them constant cartoony expressions, it would have been unbearable.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 04:45 PM   #725
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nah, Ewoks are terrible any way you slice it.

If you keep everything the same in Jedi, but replace Ewoks with Wookies, and just make the battle more realistic and intense, you got yourself a masterpiece movie.

I'm sorry, but destroying at AT-ST by tripping over logs? Lmao, get outta here.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:40 PM   #726
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

If you keep everything the same in Jedi, but replace Ewoks with Wookies, and just make the battle more realistic and intense, you got yourself a masterpiece movie.

An army of practical effect wookies would be a sight.

The only issue is that they would kick so much ass that they would've just demolished that empire force within a few seconds. Fighting wookies in their home turf? Get out of here.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:46 PM   #727
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Defending Ewoks is one of the few times I’ll do this and I absolutely hate it when other people do it but....

You have no problem with a 6 foot tall talking squid piloting the rebel flagship but 4 foot tall gerbils using bows and arrows is terrible? Come on, man.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 07:52 PM   #728
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm not going to stand up for Ewoks, but I enjoyed the simple machines exposing the weaknesses of the super tech angle.

I agree with the pacing comments. There are just too many boring parts once they left Tatooine.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:45 AM   #729
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

I have no issue with the Ewoks.

Of course I was a kid when I first watched it, so that gives it nostalgic lenience.

RoTJ taught me as a kid, that even when the good guys win, they aren't always happy about how it happened. That good guys can be flawed (Luke's story line) and that bad guys aren't always so bad.

It was just a great friggin movie guys.

And the Ewoks were awesome.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 08:35 AM   #730
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If anyone complains about the Ewoks in ROTJ, just show them the two standalone Ewok movies. They will be begging for the simpler "yubnub" times.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Misterpants For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 08:54 AM   #731
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Once again the Republic and their fans are willing to gloss over the massive war crimes committed by their "hero's"

I mean beyond the indiscriminate slaughter of innocent civilian workers, They basically used cannibalistic savages in a war, and nobody asks why there were empty helmets laying around, and very few prisoners being showed, mainly because the criminal terrorist organization paid off the Ewoks by feeding them the defeated Imperial Troops. At least the Wookies have a sense of honor.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:23 AM   #732
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

War is ugly.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:48 AM   #733
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Defending Ewoks is one of the few times I’ll do this and I absolutely hate it when other people do it but....

You have no problem with a 6 foot tall talking squid piloting the rebel flagship but 4 foot tall gerbils using bows and arrows is terrible? Come on, man.
In a commanders role, any alien could do it if they have the mental capacity which Ackbar apparently does. Size doesn't matter.

Little furry gerbils with perhistoric weapons taking down AT-STs and troops units with training and advanced weapons is not equivalent.

The underdog theme is the goal here, I get it. And Ewoks sell toys. But again, a small band of rebel wookies banding together that fight fiercely using guerilla tactics to the death to bring down the empire would have a little more depth to it.

I like that Lucas brought back Hayden as Vader force ghost. How's that for unpopular opinion?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:51 AM   #734
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
If anyone complains about the Ewoks in ROTJ, just show them the two standalone Ewok movies. They will be begging for the simpler "yubnub" times.
as a kid, I found the gorax and the mauraders legit scary, and really enjoyed the varied creature designs in both movies. the problem is that Mace and Cindel are whiny dumbasses that made you want to see them get stamped out by a blurrg.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 10:56 AM   #735
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
In a commanders role, any alien could do it if they have the mental capacity which Ackbar apparently does. Size doesn't matter.

Little furry gerbils with perhistoric weapons taking down AT-STs and troops units with training and advanced weapons is not equivalent.

The underdog theme is the goal here, I get it. And Ewoks sell toys. But again, a small band of rebel wookies banding together that fight fiercely using guerilla tactics to the death to bring down the empire would have a little more depth to it.

I like that Lucas brought back Hayden as Vader force ghost. How's that for unpopular opinion?
Agreed on the Wookies.

I'm not even going to address your other point. I'll just chalk it up to some sort of head trauma and ignore it completely.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 03:01 PM   #736
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Once again the Republic and their fans are willing to gloss over the massive war crimes committed by their "hero's"

I mean beyond the indiscriminate slaughter of innocent civilian workers, They basically used cannibalistic savages in a war, and nobody asks why there were empty helmets laying around, and very few prisoners being showed, mainly because the criminal terrorist organization paid off the Ewoks by feeding them the defeated Imperial Troops. At least the Wookies have a sense of honor.
Oh look, we’ve “both sides”d the Battle Of Endor.

The Empire was building a planet-killing weapon. This wasn’t even the first time they’d tried.

And just to be that guy, the Ewoks are not cannibalistic. They’re very much not human, so unless we’ve got new footage of one Ewok eating another (we may well, I don’t watch these re-edits) I must call bull#### on ‘cannibalistic savages’.

They were defending their home from extraterrestrial invaders.

I hope those troopers were delicious.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 10-17-2020 at 03:04 PM.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 03:06 PM   #737
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I’m pretty sure Captain is being sarcastic. That or he suffered the same head trauma as Croflames.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 03:09 PM   #738
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I’m pretty sure Captain is being sarcastic. That or he suffered the same head trauma as Croflames.
I mean, so am I...
Old 10-17-2020, 06:56 PM   #739
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

We really need to ponder the Imperial corp of engineers and scientists.

Build all of their structures with no hand rails, and controls in weird places like the top of a tower.

Build Star Destroyers with a quarter million main crew with shield generators that can be blown up with one shot and no secondary bridges.

Infantry gear that can be penetrated by primitive arrows, doesn't stop head trauma caused by rocks, and a helmet that's so obstructed and poorly designed that accuracy goes out the window.

The Empire wanted nothing more then to bring peace and order to a galaxy prone to chaos, but clearly their education system was somewhat lacking.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 09:01 PM   #740
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
We really need to ponder the Imperial corp of engineers and scientists.

Build all of their structures with no hand rails, and controls in weird places like the top of a tower.

Build Star Destroyers with a quarter million main crew with shield generators that can be blown up with one shot and no secondary bridges.

Infantry gear that can be penetrated by primitive arrows, doesn't stop head trauma caused by rocks, and a helmet that's so obstructed and poorly designed that accuracy goes out the window.

The Empire wanted nothing more then to bring peace and order to a galaxy prone to chaos, but clearly their education system was somewhat lacking.
Captain, I’m beginning to think the Star Wars universe doesn’t make any sense.