Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2020, 03:01 PM   #701
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Wasn’t that like 20s into TFA? All downhill from there eh?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:04 PM   #702
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Wasn’t that like 20s into TFA? All downhill from there eh?
Everything went downhill after TFA, IMO. TFA didn't knock it out of the park, but it was an OK movie.

Like ok yes, TFA was a step for step remake of ANH, but it wasn't horribly done and it set up EP 8 & 9 to absolutely kill it. We all know how bad they failed.

But TFA is acceptable.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:10 PM   #703
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Not saying I disagree with you, but there was one part that gave me some emotional tugs.

Max Von Sydow: "The General? For me, she's Royalty"
Yeahm agreed, at the same time they put Max in there so fans would spend a lot of times after the trailer and promotion saying, who's he? Is it Ezra, or Kanan?

Some former Jedi that we'd seen before, and in the end he was nothing. Shame.

But I loved that line.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:25 PM   #704
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I agree that the overall sequel trilogy wasn't great, there were plenty of excellent moments over the course of the three films that gave me some good old-fashioned SW feels:

"To me she's royalty." (I agree, that's a nice little moment.)

The reveal of the Falcon on Jakku ("the garbage will do!") followed by the chase scene with the Tie Fighters with John Williams' score kicking into high gear. That was good stuff.

Han and Chewie's introduction in TFA: "We're home!" My entire theatre cheered during this moment when I saw it on opening day.

Luke's lightsaber flying into Rey's hand and the subsequent duel with Kylo in TFA. That entire fight sequence was excellent IMO.

Han and Leia's reunion.

The throne room fight in TLJ.

Luke and R2's emotional reunion on the Falcon.

Every scene with Yoda in TLJ along with Williams' original ESB score underneath. Total goosebumps.

Luke's death and that gorgeous shot of him staring up at the two suns.

The father/son moment between Kylo and Han in TROS. Superb acting from both guys in this scene.

Rey going back to Tatooine and visiting Luke's former home.

Han's death and Chewie's gut-wrenching howl after watching his best friend die.

Chewie's grief over Leia's death in TROS and the realization that he's lost every single one of his best friends. That really got me. Tears were shed during that scene.

Leia's death in TROS really hit me as well. Made all the more powerful when you realized that Carrie Fisher was also gone and that this was her final film appearance.

Kylo vs. Rey lightsaber duel on the wreckage of the Death Star. Just a terrific and emotional action sequence.

The pure joy that Billy Dee Williams brought to Lando for the final film. Dude looked like he was having an absolute blast in every scene.

Wedge's appearance during the final space battle. "Nice flying, Lando!"

Babu Frik

Last edited by direwolf; 10-10-2020 at 04:29 PM.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2020, 10:10 PM   #705
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, had to re watch Rogue One tonight.

Loved the effects and the space and ground battle. The Star Destroyers looked amazing as did the fighter combat, and the reskin of actors as characters from a ANH.

Just a solid story line overall.

Vader, awesome, however I felt a bit sad, because JEJ voice sounded a bit weaker with age. Especially the "Prepare a Boarding Party"

One of the gutsiest movies in that they killed every main character.

I felt so bad for Saw when he asked Jyn "Are you here to kill me, there's so little of me left". If you watched Clone Wars and Rebels you understand why he became such a zealot, but that was just a tremendous line.

I always tear up at the Leia scene, I don't know why, but it just really triggers some emotions, maybe because the first time I saw her at that age, I was sitting in a theatre with my dads are around my shoulder eating popcorn and loving this movie as father and son, and now my mom and dad are getting close to the end.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:12 PM   #706
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Yeah, had to re watch Rogue One tonight.

Loved the effects and the space and ground battle. The Star Destroyers looked amazing as did the fighter combat, and the reskin of actors as characters from a ANH.

Just a solid story line overall.

Vader, awesome, however I felt a bit sad, because JEJ voice sounded a bit weaker with age. Especially the "Prepare a Boarding Party"

One of the gutsiest movies in that they killed every main character.

I felt so bad for Saw when he asked Jyn "Are you here to kill me, there's so little of me left". If you watched Clone Wars and Rebels you understand why he became such a zealot, but that was just a tremendous line.

I always tear up at the Leia scene, I don't know why, but it just really triggers some emotions, maybe because the first time I saw her at that age, I was sitting in a theatre with my dads are around my shoulder eating popcorn and loving this movie as father and son, and now my mom and dad are getting close to the end.
I should watch it again too.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:53 AM   #707
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I recently re-watched R1. It is such a fantastic movie.

I suppose if I was nitpicking, it jumps from scene to scene a little quickly in the first 1/4 of the movie, but then it settles in. One thing I really like is how they introduce to the story for the first time that there are factions within the rebel alliance. The main faction doesn't seem to love Saw's faction, and it sounds like there were other factions out there. Kinda adds dimension and depth to the story.

I had no problem with CGI Tarkin, since he's not a central character. Doing 0.5 seconds of CGI Leia was acceptable and tastefully done. What a performance by Mads Mikkelson, and Krennic was an awesome character. May need to rewatch it again soon, after my guilty pleasure, Revenge of the Sith.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 01:06 PM   #708
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I loved that they had Tarkin in it, he's a central villain in the universe. I was surprised that they didn't take the extra steps and add in Motti (The getting choked guy). Also when watching ANH, there is a Clone Wars Rebels link with the character that is thought to be Yularen. Also Rex in ROTJ.

I watched Solo again last night, I really didn't mind it, and it had some good parts, Woody made it really good for me.

Old 10-11-2020, 01:32 PM   #709
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Woody made it really good for me.
I am one with the phrasing and the phrasing is with me
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 10:34 AM   #710
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Nice to have a Star Wars marathon on one channel and a Star Trek Marathon on another channel. Its Geektacular.

Started watching Last Jedi for the first time I think in a couple of years. That opening 30 minutes is just cringeworthy.

Old 10-13-2020, 11:52 AM   #711
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife and I went to see the Empire Strikes Back last night at Westhills. It’s the first time I’ve seen it on a big screen since the re-release in 1997.

What a wonderful time at the movies. For starters, it was great to go to a theatre to see a Star Wars movie knowing it was going to be good.

Second of all, this movie is gorgeous. The rebel base, the speeders, the Falcon, Dagobah, the asteroid field, Cloud City, all of it. They built everything. They dug trenches in the snow. They shot outside. It’s incredible. CGI looks fake because it is.

Limitations make things cooler. You can tell this movie was made in a time when they still had problems doing the lightsaber effect, because Luke doesn’t whip his out every time he hears a noise. But when he does, you know he means business.

What’s also very revealing is how not stupid the entire movie is. At no point in this entire movie do you find your eyes rolling so far back into your head that you can see your pre frontal cortex while you audibly sigh “that’s ####ing stupid” in a theatre with 200 people (otherwise known as “The Last Jedi Experience”).

Characters don’t make baffling decision after baffling decision that can only be explained away by “the will of the Force”.

Scenes are constructed as more than just bridges from one visually exhausting action sequence to the next. Characters are put in tough situations and their choices have consequences. Just like real life.

Puppets. Puppets are the key to all this. If you can accomplish your shot with a puppet, you should. Yoda is a puppet.

R2 is great in every movie, but this is 3P0’s finest film. He’s perfectly used.

John Williams. I firmly believe John Williams is responsible for, conservatively, 60% of Star Wars’ enduring popularity. The cast and the ships and lightsabers are the other 20-40%, but John Williams is doing the heavy lifting. One of the most beautiful scores ever written, and the finale where the Rebel fleet limps through space while Han and Leia’s theme swells... chef’s kiss.

Finally, you know the Empire Strikes Back is the best Star Wars film because it’s the one that has been ####ed with the least by its creator. I can’t watch the Blu Ray versions of A New Hope and Jedi because I’ve seen the originals so many times and these remastered abortions aren’t paced properly.

There are a couple additions that do nothing to improve the movie as well, but they’re subtle; you’d only notice them if you spent your 17th birthday with your virginity.

In closing, they don’t make ‘em like this anymore. But I’m glad they did, once, a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:59 AM   #712
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Empire Strikes back works so well for me because of the dialogue, it was far less Stiff then the dialogue in ANH, and beyond that it was human dialogue. There was humor and unforced sarcasm, and it works.

I want to add on, that the scene I loved the most was the first shot of Death Squadron, with the Star Destroyer being covered in the shadow of the Executor. Its beautiful.

As vile as Vader was in ANH, he was at his most evil and most determined in ESB. While discovering that he had a son must have been a shock, he still clearly didn't give a crap about Luke unless he could use Luke. And that fight on Cloud City where he came out of the doorway and just battered Luke was almost as awesome as when Luke actually hit Vader, and Vader went mental on him.

I didn't mind the special edition because of a number of reasons.

Go back and watch the original and the SE with the work they did on Cloud City, they did an awesome job of it.

Also giving us the real palpatine instead of a woman with monkey eyes, was a vast improvement and they could adjust the dialogue a great deal.

Its still the best Star Wars movie ever made.

Old 10-13-2020, 12:11 PM   #713
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^The dialogue does stand out as the least Star Warsish of all of them, which is not a bad thing.

It’s so strange that the subsequent seven films seem to go out of their way to ignore everything that makes Empire good.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:38 PM   #714
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Irvin Kershner knocked that one out of the park.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 01:04 PM   #715
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Irvin Kershner knocked that one out of the park.

I've always said that Lucas is brilliant at envisioning a story, and a whole universe. He's extremely detailed on that side of things and everything fits together well. But get him into the nitty gritty beyond writing a treatment, you know dialogue stuff etc and he struggles.

He did this with Irvin. Here's the story, here's the character list, here's how things should fit, now its up to you to write the story. It was brilliant.

The story in the PT itself is smart and makes sense, its the details and dialogue that hurt it and that there were some things in there that gained too much focus.

Imagine giving a guy like IK the job of writing and showing the fall of Anakin, and no fracking I hate Sand monologues.

Old 10-13-2020, 01:44 PM   #716
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've always said that Lucas is brilliant at envisioning a story, and a whole universe. He's extremely detailed on that side of things and everything fits together well. But get him into the nitty gritty beyond writing a treatment, you know dialogue stuff etc and he struggles.

He did this with Irvin. Here's the story, here's the character list, here's how things should fit, now its up to you to write the story. It was brilliant.

The story in the PT itself is smart and makes sense, its the details and dialogue that hurt it and that there were some things in there that gained too much focus.

Imagine giving a guy like IK the job of writing and showing the fall of Anakin, and no fracking I hate Sand monologues.
We went to Christina Lake this week for a Covid Thanksgiving, and spent Wednesday on the beach.

While “I hate sand; it’s coarse and rough and it gets everywhere. Not like you, you’re soft and smooth,” is an awful line, up there with “Two fighters against the STAR DESTROYER???”, Anakin is not wrong about sand.

It’s coarse, and rough, and it does get everywhere.

#### sand.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:21 AM   #717
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 10-15-2020, 12:10 PM   #718
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Return of the Jedi is my favourite of all Star Wars films, fight me!
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:14 PM   #719
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
The theatrical cut of Return of the Jedi is awesome. #yubnub
Old 10-15-2020, 12:15 PM   #720
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
I won't fight you, because it's one of my favorites as well. I get all the Ewok hate, but I just ignore it. Empire had much better pacing, dialogue, and really connected the viewer with the environments. Hoth feels cold as hell. Dagobah makes you believe you are in a swampy planet. The second half of Cloud City feels alone and isolating to Luke. I just don't think RotJ achieved that connection.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: