Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-05-2018, 08:31 AM   #61
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well that short was . . . well short.

I don't know if they were trying to do comedy, touching woman's empowerment, an environmental message.

Maybe its because I find Tilley to be pretty annoying because the whole jittery ADD weirdo thing just isn't working very well for me, and she's just bad in Mary Wiseman was just bad in her role.

I also see that the super duper long range transporter is back.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:57 AM   #62
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah.......I didn't get it. And wasn't really entertained.

For me, Tilley is pretty much the only character on Disco I really like and this seemed exceptionally mundane. The cafeteria scene wasn't funny at all and I couldn't understand the choices that were being made because they just weren't Starfleet. Ugh, Discovery in a nutshell.

Other notes:

1. Interesting that my PVR was set to record it when it was listed as Star Trek: Discovery but suddenly the name changed to Star Trek: Short Treks so it wasn't recorded.

2. For some reason, one of my biggest pet peeves on the show is the holographic telephone. I'm not 100% canon guy but it was a big deal with the Defiant installed theirs 120 years later.

Plus what does the person on the other end do? Walk around their own house? How does Tilley's mum see her desk then? Ugh.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:42 AM   #63
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
Yeah.......I didn't get it. And wasn't really entertained.

For me, Tilley is pretty much the only character on Disco I really like and this seemed exceptionally mundane. The cafeteria scene wasn't funny at all and I couldn't understand the choices that were being made because they just weren't Starfleet. Ugh, Discovery in a nutshell.

Other notes:

1. Interesting that my PVR was set to record it when it was listed as Star Trek: Discovery but suddenly the name changed to Star Trek: Short Treks so it wasn't recorded.

2. For some reason, one of my biggest pet peeves on the show is the holographic telephone. I'm not 100% canon guy but it was a big deal with the Defiant installed theirs 120 years later.

Plus what does the person on the other end do? Walk around their own house? How does Tilley's mum see her desk then? Ugh.

They certainly didn't have holographic technology in TOS, nor in Enterprise, I don't even remember the Federation having it in TNG or Voyager.

If you had that tech, you wouldn't need a view screen on a starship. You could just have a holographic emitter on the bridge.

I just find that Tilley works in short short bursts, but her flightiness jittering just gets annoying in longer exposures. But that's the problem with the show, the characters just aren't that intriguing or all that deep. They could have done so much with Jason Issacs who's frankly amazing, but even that in the end fell flat because he died like an idiot.

I get what they're trying to do with the Shorts which is to reboot the characters a bit and make them deeper, but this episode didn't really make Tilley all that interesting, instead she looked completely ADD and a bit whiny about the Command Program, and in the end when she said "that she had gotten past something or another" it felt like a throw in line where as a viewer you had to do a insert here in terms of what she left behind.

I think a cooler story line really would have been a accident in her department that leaves them sealed off from the ship with all of their lives in jeopardy and Tilley finds a way past her nerves to become a leader and command a team.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 11:09 PM   #64
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also that and she took it upon herself to keep the most wanted woman in the galaxy a secret then transport her off the ship, instead of reporting her immediately to the captain. Do they not get alarms, or at least keep records of unauthorized transports? If I was her captain I'd have her kicked out of Starfleet and maybe even sent to prison. Hell, this better come up later in the show, because a lot of people saw that mess hall, and when they go to work in that cargo bay the next morning we already know the tricorders are going to detect that alien's blood and know what it is. Piss poor writing. And I love the Tilly character. Not the actor's (either of them) fault in the slightest on this one.

Also, are security cameras not all over the ship!?

So far, this is the oldest I've been.

Last edited by Traditional_Ale; 10-05-2018 at 11:12 PM.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:57 AM   #65
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I guess my biggest problem with discovery is around the characters more then anything else. they're either flat or unlikeable. I get that Tilley is suppossed to be the fun sympathetic nervous character, but I don't know whether the actress is over doing it, or the scripting is bad, but she's more annoying then sympathetic.

Lets look at the characters for a second.

Michael - I get that she's part vulcan and supposed to sort of kind of be in emotional control. However she's a flat, boring and really unsympathetic character. The writers didn't help her with the stupidity of the mutiny story line. Her romantic scenes last year were just laughably bad. Martin-Green has never been an actress, and shooting her to be the star of the franchise is just terrible.

Saru - Has some interesting moments, and Doug Jones is a good actor playing characters under heavy makeup. The fear thing was kind of interesting, but lets be honest, the writing has again failed him. When you look at other Star Treks with their supporting characters or first officers they get really rounded out and make them seem indispensible. Saru is not that.

Ash Taylor - I can't judge the actor on this role. But the whole Klingon story line was inconceivably hackney, the makeup on the characters was so heavy that the actors couldn't act. As Ash Taylor he was ok, but really just a scene filler as a Klingon spy that blows his cover.

Staments - He was actually one of the best of the bunch. But the writers again, one week he's a ahole, the next week he's sympathetic.

Tilley - I've said enough, she's good in really short bursts, but overall I think they expect her to be the breakout character of the show.

Lorca - I love Jason Isaacs, he can make any character look good, and he pulled it off for the first half of the season, he was a smart aggressive Captain with just enough humanity to make him sympathetic. Then they made him a villain, forgot to slap on a mirror universe Goatee and gave him the most moronic death in the history of ever and basically wasted a whole season of decent character development.

Detmer - They had such a great story just sitting there with her that its frustrating. She was a crew member with Michael and out of everyone that survived Detmer had the biggest reason to outright hate her. Instead they had her crawling back to Michaels table, gave her next to no dialogue and hoped that everyone would think she's the Chekov of the crew.

Georgiou - Michelle Yeoh is a horrifyingly bad actress. She's basically a two by four with those googly doll eyes attached to them. The Empress role just felt like a huge opportunity not taken. But she was so cringe worthy that it just felt like she was reading que cards in a monotone voice half the time. Hopefully she stays lost in the underworld and they don't bring her or Voq back this year.

I have some hope, I mean they fired pretty much everyone that they could creatively including the writing staff, even though the whole Captain Pike Enterprise thing almost dooms this show to being one long fan service, especially bringing in Spock, and probably his evil twin mirror universe brother Spork. Its Trek and you have to be optimistic that new fresh writing will make the show interesting, especially if Pike takes one look at Michael and demotes her to waste disposal where we'll see her in background emptying garbage cans. However this short didn't do a lot for me so who knows.

I can see if the rating suffer that Pike will slowly replace members of the discovery crew with members of the enterprise crew.

"Yo Saru we don't need you as an XO, I've got my main man Spock here for that job" Then as Saru slinks off the bridge Pike and Spock chst bump. "Detmer I want you to meet super helmsman Sulu" Hetero high five between Pike and Sulu. "Yo Stamets I know your busy and I'm gonna let you get at it, but without those bugs navigating we don't need you in engineering, meet my main man Scotty" . . . . etc. Then Discovery will blow up and the crew will evacuate to the Enterprise.

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 10-06-2018 at 01:01 AM.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:12 PM   #66
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

New Discovery Season 2 trailer:

Remaining optimistic! Unfortunately we see Michelle Yeoh again, but that was inevitable with how S1 ended I suppose. Still, some cool stuff in there, hopefully the writing holds up!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 04:56 PM   #67
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post

Remaining optimistic! Unfortunately we see Michelle Yeoh again, but that was inevitable with how S1 ended I suppose. Still, some cool stuff in there, hopefully the writing holds up!
It looks very flashy and dark and gritty so we know they havent slashed the production budget.

I dont know why they felt compelled to 'prequel' the series and then are putting advanced ships and tech but whatever I guess.

Spock has a beard so we know hes evil Spock from the darkest timeline.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:08 PM   #68
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I don't even remember how S1 ended. But oh yeah, mirror Michelle Yeoh survived, right.

Apparently she joins Section 31.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:44 AM   #69
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scary as I thought Ashton Kutcher was Spock. Yikes.....
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:04 PM   #70
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

hey nerds,

if you didn't get last years [quite ugly] Franklin hallmark ornament, Amazon is blowing them out. they' re $14 at the time I'm posting this, were $11 last time i checked.... who knows how amazon does things

<https://www.amazon.ca/Hallmark-Keeps...+trek+hallmark>
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 07:47 AM   #71
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I've been receiving these ships as Christmas gifts since the 90s. The last few years they've stopped giving them to me so I haven't been keeping up with the collection. Even though it's terrible, I'm getting it. Thanks!
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:18 AM   #72
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hallmark is running a racquet on their Christmas ornaments. The quality is horrendous for the price. Just cheap flimsy plastic. $40? I better be getting die cast for that price, at least.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:29 AM   #73
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

My crappy Christmas tree couldn't support die cast ornaments. They'd probably kill my cats.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:44 AM   #74
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Hallmark is running a racquet on their Christmas ornaments. The quality is horrendous for the price. Just cheap flimsy plastic. $40? I better be getting die cast for that price, at least.
some years--and i'm talking exclusively star trek ships here--they totally nail it. The enterprise c from 3-4 years ago is *amazing*, but they blow it some years. The vengeance from Into Darkness is pretty bleh. This year's Discovery is nothing to scream home about.

There is one die cast ornament I have (I heistate calling it that as it has a stand that takes batteries) - the detail and quality aren't any better than what they've done in recent years - and yeah, super heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I've been receiving these ships as Christmas gifts since the 90s. The last few years they've stopped giving them to me so I haven't been keeping up with the collection. Even though it's terrible, I'm getting it. Thanks!
its been a christmas tradition since I was around 8: a startrek ship ornament, but it has died down in the last few years as my mom has started going south. only one that got missed was the borg cube, i keep forgetting to trawl ebay in the summer when they might be cheaper
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2018, 11:15 AM   #75
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I'll keep an eye out for the Cube for you. I've seen it before at an antique shop. It's my favourite of the bunch.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:28 PM   #76
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

So would anybody want my circa 1993 Enterprise D? (Assuming I find it again?) Putting it onto the tree was never a hill I wanted to die on, and now that our tree has pre-lit LEDs, it doesn't connect to the standard Xmas tree bulbs to light up the nacelles.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:32 AM   #77
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

CBS has announced the third show of the new Star Trek era, Star Trek: Lower Decks, a half hour animated comedy from Mike McMahan (Rick and Morty)

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-...ries-announced

Quote:
CBS All Access has set phasers to funny with the announcement today that they’ve given a two-season commitment to Star Trek: Lower Decks, an animated comedy from Emmy Award-winner Mike McMahan. The show, which will be produced by CBS Eye Animation Productions, Secret Hideout and Roddenberry Entertainment, will follow the support crew serving on one of Starfleet’s least-important ships. CBS Eye Animation Productions is CBS Television Studios’ new animation arm.

"Mike won our hearts with his first sentence: ‘I want to do a show about the people who put the yellow cartridge in the food replicator so a banana can come out the other end,” executive producer Alex Kurtzman said. “His cat’s name is Riker. His son’s name is Sagan. The man is committed. He’s brilliantly funny and knows every inch of every Trek episode, and that’s his secret sauce: he writes with the pure, joyful heart of a true fan. As we broaden the world of Trek to fans of all ages, we’re so excited to include Mike’s extraordinary voice.”
Actually sounds pretty promising. I really like the concepty and McMahan is a talented guy and sounds like he's a huge Trekkie.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2018, 10:36 AM   #78
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
CBS has announced the third show of the new Star Trek era, Star Trek: Lower Decks, a half hour animated comedy from Mike McMahan (Rick and Morty)

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-...ries-announced

Actually sounds pretty promising. I really like the concepty and McMahan is a talented guy and sounds like he's a huge Trekkie.
I think the advent of 'The Orville' really allowed people to poke fun at Star Trek and its weird quirks.

I think its great, go for it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:30 PM   #79
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What the eff was that?

And why didn't they just have Scarlett Johansson play the Discovery AI?
Old 11-08-2018, 09:25 PM   #80
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I was just coming here to say something similar to what in the blue hell was that?

The weird thing is I swear this was the retelling of Calypso from the Odyssey where Odysseus lands on an island and meets Calypso who's a nymph and she falls in love with him and basically imprisons him on the Island and tries to force him to fall in love with her.

In this case Zora is Calypso and Craft Odysseus.

In the Odyssey Calpyso keeps Odysseus on the Island for 7 years, by he eventually decides that he wants to go home to his wife. In the book Hermes shows up and tells Calpyso to let him go, and she helps him build a boat for his voyage.

While some parts of the film work were really well done and the voice of Zora was charming and sad, the whole thing just struck me as a lame retelling of a classic, and I sometimes get really mad when people retell a classic while refusing to honor the depth of the story.

I also felt like the whole thing was some kind of sappy sentimental setup for the final punch line when Craft tells her if they were lovers she'd give him his name.

I'm not sure if this is a risk that they didn't live up to or if the writers just refused to do justice to what could have been a neat little retelling.

What's next, the merchant of venice on Discovery? Maybe a retelling of Othello with Jason Isaacs returning to resume the role of honest Iago (one of my favorite literary characters by the way)

While this was certainly better then the first short and just weird enough to make you think, it was still to me a bit of a let down execution wise.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: