Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-09-2020, 09:10 AM   #1181
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

and I bet they curse even more in the 32nd century!

Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 10:05 AM   #1182
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, it doesn't look amazing but I don't think it looks as bad as you guys are making it out to be. At least it isn't saddled with the prequel problem of having to adhere to established canon, they can kind of just do whatever.

But, like has been said, the main problem with the show is Michael Burnham. They've hitched the show to the worst character and don't seem interested in moving away from that, based on this trailer.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:51 AM   #1183
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

remember when Michael first boarded the Shenzhou and was all super stoic Vulcan? now she's acting like she left her bottle of bipolar medication in the 23rd century. I realize that she's learned to display emotion after some time with Starfleet, but she's appears to be surpassing Tilly and Stamets on the wacky meter. I think if they could just figure out exactly what they want her to be, she would be an acceptable (if not exceptional) lead.

they sort of did the same thing with Picard on his own show, where he flitted between crusty jaded senior to warm protective father figure to beret eyepatch cartoon weirdo from one episode to the next.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:27 AM   #1184
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its almost like they need to rename the Discovery as the USS Adderall.

The biggest problem for me, is that yes they hitched the show to Michael, and she pretty much solves every single problem that comes up, but Green is just a terrible actress. She's wooden and not because she's half vulcan, and when she needs to show emotion, its just cringeworthy terrible.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:39 PM   #1185
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

I loved the season 3 premiere, engaging and entertaining and funny. Book is hot.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:46 PM   #1186
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It was ok, it had some good story beats to it, and some nice action, and we saw another Morn. But she is just so cringeworthy as an actress, Her drunk/high act was so bad.

And I cringed at the thought

Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:51 PM   #1187
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok, that was better than expected. The scenes with the communications guy at the end were well done and felt more like Trek than the majority of the episode. Overall I'd say that was a pretty decent start for season 3.

I still prefer Picard and Lower Decks though.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:10 PM   #1188
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I started season 1 episode 1.

Well, it can’t get any worse, right? That opening scene might be the dumbest #### I’ve ever seen before. Footsteps in a windy desert visible from space? #### off.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 11:11 PM   #1189
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Are you in a time warp? Am I?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 11:16 PM   #1190
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Filmed in Iceland? I think I climbed that volcano at the beginning of the episode.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:22 PM   #1191
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Good
- still the best looking Star Trek on TV (and maybe film?). Makes Picard look cheap in comparison
- freedom from continuity constraints
- off-brand Idris Elba
- possible flerken?

Not as good
- Set Burnham emotional intensity to TEN THOUSAND EXAQUADS
- mega shaky cam during action or tense scenes
- 32nd century tech doesn’t seem fantastical enough yet, remember how lost Scotty was when he jumped just 80 years into TNG

Good enough to stick with it, which I guess I’d do even if it was bad just cause it’s Star Trek.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:26 PM   #1192
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Are you in a time warp? Am I?
I saw S3 premiered so I decided to give it a chance from the start. Now I remember why I gave up after e1 last time. I must have purged that god awful opening from my brain.

But I have nothing better to do so I guess I’ll keep watching.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:34 PM   #1193
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I saw S3 premiered so I decided to give it a chance from the start. Now I remember why I gave up after e1 last time. I must have purged that god awful opening from my brain.

But I have nothing better to do so I guess I’ll keep watching.
I've tried several times to like this show. Tried hard. I can't. The writers don't know how to let things simmer, let them settle. Let things grow. IN YOUR FACE all the time crank up the lens flare WE HAVE A POINT TO MAKE cue the camera angles ACTIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNN.

In fairness this methylpheno--whatever that drug is called style is all the rage so maybe it's just me that craves the cerebral mixed with grand design, mind blowing visuals and great characters. Oh wait, there is a show like that it's called The Expanse.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:54 PM   #1194
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought the premiere was pretty solid. Very energetic and confident, unshackled from prequel canon to finally do whatever they want.

Good to see we’re already back to bitching about episode 1 from like three years ago though. Conversation had moved on from that one, quite a while ago...
Old 10-16-2020, 11:56 PM   #1195
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

No it hasn’t. I just watched it so I’m gonna post about it. No ones forcing you to read it. At least that I’m aware of.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:12 AM   #1196
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess not but coming into a thread where people are discussing a new season to pump out a boring hot take from 2017 is just kind of obnoxious, right? Imagine if you did that in a real conversation. Where everyone is casually talking about the new episode and you’re like “yeah I just watched season 1 episode 1 and it sucked” — you just bother people and don’t actually contribute anything new or valuable to the discussion that way.

It’s like jumping into the Star Wars thread when Mandalorian starts to #### on The Last Jedi again for the hundredth time. There’s nothing new to be said and no one really cares to talk about it anymore.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:16 AM   #1197
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was a fine episode. The leap the future was a good decision.

I kind of prefer this over Picard, which was 80% shoehorned fan service and 20% WTF.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:18 AM   #1198
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Star Trek Discovery

I wonder if it’s possible for the mods to create sub-threads for seasons for TV shows.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:54 AM   #1199
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I guess not but coming into a thread where people are discussing a new season to pump out a boring hot take from 2017 is just kind of obnoxious, right? Imagine if you did that in a real conversation. Where everyone is casually talking about the new episode and you’re like “yeah I just watched season 1 episode 1 and it sucked” — you just bother people and don’t actually contribute anything new or valuable to the discussion that way.

It’s like jumping into the Star Wars thread when Mandalorian starts to #### on The Last Jedi again for the hundredth time. There’s nothing new to be said and no one really cares to talk about it anymore.
Read the thread title. Does it say Discovery? Yes? Then STFU.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:56 AM   #1200
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Burnham is suck an annoying character. I might enjoy this more if it weren't for her. The overacting while tripping balls was tough to watch. The first 22 seasons suffered form everything in the universe revolving around her, and it seems they are sticking with that.

Lets be honest, too...the "dilithium spontaneously exploding everywhere" has to be one of the weakest cop outs you could come up with the explain the collapse of the Federation. Totally unexplained, so no one every looks for the answer, because their isn't one. It's about as lazy a way as I could imagine to write off the Federation.

The good was that it looks fantastic(minus shaky cam) and has a lot of potential being in the future. It will be interesting to see if the waste that, or can come up with something compelling. Right now it feels a little Star Wars like with the federation collapsed, and people barely remembering it. Do you think the writers have an end goal here? Some master plan? Or is this just another season stumbling about?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: