Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:16 AM   #603
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
So if we beat Belize we're in?
Home and home the first week in September. Winning that gets us Honduras, Mexico and winner of El Diveador/Curacao
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:22 AM   #604
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Mixed bag.

Belize... good draw.

Next round, you start with one team you should beat (although harder than I would have liked in El Salvador or Curacao) or you don't deserve to go on. Avoided Jamaica and Haiti, but missed the powderpuff teams. No complaints.

Then Honduras, probably at their weakest point in 10 years will be our competition to get in the hex, never seen them play as bad recently as they did at the gold cup. They seem to have to field more and more domestic players lately. Trinis would have been nice but Panama would have been the worst outcome, they are getting better every year and have a cohesive group. Again no complaints.

The wildcard I like is that Honduras will have much harder games than us in El Salvador - those countries ####ing hate each other with a passion.

Mexico is notoriously bad in the early rounds of these things, I think they are a better draw than the US, although still heavy favourites.

I'd give Canada a 35-40% chance of making the hex. It'll come down to the home result against Honduras again, unless El Salvador trips them up or Mexico coughs up points.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:28 PM   #605
vennegoor of hesselink
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Mixed bag.

Belize... good draw.

Next round, you start with one team you should beat (although harder than I would have liked in El Salvador or Curacao) or you don't deserve to go on. Avoided Jamaica and Haiti, but missed the powderpuff teams. No complaints.

Then Honduras, probably at their weakest point in 10 years will be our competition to get in the hex, never seen them play as bad recently as they did at the gold cup. They seem to have to field more and more domestic players lately. Trinis would have been nice but Panama would have been the worst outcome, they are getting better every year and have a cohesive group. Again no complaints.

The wildcard I like is that Honduras will have much harder games than us in El Salvador - those countries ####ing hate each other with a passion.

Mexico is notoriously bad in the early rounds of these things, I think they are a better draw than the US, although still heavy favourites.

I'd give Canada a 35-40% chance of making the hex. It'll come down to the home result against Honduras again, unless El Salvador trips them up or Mexico coughs up points.

Curacao could take El Salvador though. They beat Cuba to advance and Im not sure that El Salvador is much better than Cuba at this point. Patrick Kluivert is coaching and hes pulled a Klinsmann and got alot of Dutch players of Curacao descent to play for them.

vennegoor of hesselink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:38 PM   #606
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Curacao is definately a respectable program now, and a better 11 on paper than el salvador, was afraid of drawing them in a cup semi final style knockout round. I suspect Canada would take an away game in curacao every time over one in el salvador just based on home field atmosphere though. Super relaxed vs. fearful for your safety.

Neither game will be easy... But if Canada can't better either one of those two teams, they don't deserve a spot in the world cup.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:47 AM   #607
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

First we will beat British Honduras, and then Honduran Honduras! Who's up for an away supporter trip to Tegucigalpa, homicide capital of the Americas?
Edit: Apparently Honduras doesnt play their home qualifiers in the capital. Weird.

Last edited by Magnum PEI; 07-26-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:59 PM   #608
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Honduras is the Canucks of CONCACAF for me. If somehow we beat them away to advance you know it would be despite proverbial thrown sweaters and oh how sweet it would be. I really wish we were heading in strong from a decent Gold Cup showing. My hopes aren't high. I'll enjoy the run though.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:49 PM   #609
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't believe we're capable of qualifying in 2018. I believe we'll have the players in place for 2022, but after witnessing our Gold Cup performance, I just don't see how it's possible.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:19 AM   #610
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

We need a coach. Stephen Hart was decent and was unlucky last cycle. The 8-1 was cruel.

This guy is a nobody

Edit: Mexico just fired Herrera. Can we hire him!?

Last edited by GirlySports; 07-29-2015 at 08:43 AM.
GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:01 PM   #611
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rosters have been announced for 3rd round of World Cup Qualifying against Belize. Games are Sept 4 in Toronto and Sept 8 in Belize.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2015, 03:47 PM   #612
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

A chance for Calgary-product Sam Adekugbe to earn his first cap (I believe?).
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:48 PM   #613
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

1 Canadaian player started in Voyageurs cup championship between Montreal and Vancouver...change is going to take forever to come.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:24 PM   #614
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Osorio left off the team must be Floro punishing him for his snit when he subbed him off early in the Gold Cup. It doesn't seem like we are a nation that has the luxury of leaving one of our best young attacking midfielders at home to prove a point.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:36 AM   #615
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Part of me hopes we lose to Belize so we can revamp the whole thing.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:27 PM   #616
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I say we revamp the whole thing anyway.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:44 PM   #617
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I say we revamp the whole thing anyway.
getting close will give people hope.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:25 PM   #618
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want to blow everything up then we need to blow up how our top level domestic teams work as well. When American players are considered domestic in Canada while Canadian players are considered foreigners in the US we are going to develop American talent as much or more than Canadian talent.

IMO, there are many good players on Canadian MLS teams that don't get the same opportunities as players from other countries. Once Canadian players are prioritized we can start to improve as a national team.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:29 PM   #619
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
If you want to blow everything up then we need to blow up how our top level domestic teams work as well. When American players are considered domestic in Canada while Canadian players are considered foreigners in the US we are going to develop American talent as much or more than Canadian talent.

IMO, there are many good players on Canadian MLS teams that don't get the same opportunities as players from other countries. Once Canadian players are prioritized we can start to improve as a national team.
Yup. Then Canada needs a league of it's own. Being under the MLS umbrella the problems you outlined above will continue because teams need to win, bring in fans, and make money. TFC has never made the playoffs and are losing fans. They are not going to develop players for Canada this year.

Old 08-30-2015, 03:20 PM   #620
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post

but until US labor laws change there is no way this can happen. They have to treat all non-Americans the same.
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote