Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-14-2018, 11:45 AM   #1301
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Consider not having the back wall so that you can watch tv/movies/hockey from the bar without having to go into the room. And you wouldn't need the door on the side.

Make the room more general purpose not just theater dedicated. That's what we did, with an open concept, and it has made the room much more useful over the years.

Use Dipole (not bipole) surrounds facing toward the screen for your 5.1/7.1/9.1 or whatever you plan to do. They will provide a better surround effect.

In terms of a sound system, keep scanning kijiji, some people seem to think they need to upgrade whenever the newest sound processing tech is released and you can get amazing receivers a few years out for near nothing. I just bought a receiver that retailed for $2000 a few years ago for $100 shipped, and it sounds amazing, even has HDMI switching (which I don't use.)

Don't worry about things like Dolby Atmos, its a total waste if you're on a budget. 5.1 will suit your needs fine. We're using 5.2 right now and the extra sub gives the room the "punch" for music and certain movie scenes when needed with the crossover set just right to hit the second sub when needed. Total cost was minimal although invest in good speakers.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2018, 12:34 PM   #1302
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apologies in advance if this has been discussed to death already but what are your thoughts on curved TV's? Have an older one that I successfully repaired but it's likely on its last legs. Saw a gorgeous 65" curved Samsung (UN65MU6500) panel @ Costco for just a hair over $1300. Any drawbacks?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:57 PM   #1303
Saint Troy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have the 55 curved qled Samsung, and love it. I think the curve is a personal preference vs a performance improvement, but it sure is cool.

Saint Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saint Troy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2018, 09:55 AM   #1304
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a Samsung 55" KS8500 (Curved 2016 4K HDR model), and I love it.

One thing that is notably different from a flat panel is how it handles reflections. Where a circle of light on a flat panel would show as a reflection of a circle of light, the curved screen stretches the reflection. It can make it less distracting because the reflection is blending into more of the picture. But it can also make it harder to see if you're in a particularly bright room and sunlight starts reflecting off the screen.

Worst thing is that you can't really test this out in the store. You'd have to bring it home, try it out for a week, and see what you think.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2018, 10:02 AM   #1305
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Troy View Post
I have the 55 curved qled Samsung, and love it. I think the curve is a personal preference vs a performance improvement, but it sure is cool.
I agree. I have one as well, and its not really a viewing enhancement as much as it is an aesthetic enhancement. I don't think I'm getting a better viewing experience vs a normal flat screen, but I do think it just looks nice as a piece of furniture in my living room. I appreciate the design element of it.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2018, 12:26 PM   #1306
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
One thing that is notably different from a flat panel is how it handles reflections.
Just finished reading an article called "what you need to know about curved TV's" and that's one of the first things they mention.

Doubt that's much of an issue for me, I HATE reflections on TV's so I either turn off lights or close blinds.

My concern is the viewing "sweet spot". Typically it's just the two of us but at times, we may sit or lie down on different couches, wondered what kind of impact that would have on viewing. Or additional people during a game or something.

Sounds like a neat idea but better applied to a much larger screen.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:06 PM   #1307
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I found that the curved screen provided a feeling of depth in certain scenes. Of course, the stores know that the best way to exaggerate this effect is using beautiful high resolution landscape photos. I don't know about you, but I don't use my television as a gigantic picture frame for landscape artwork, so this really should not be a big motivator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Just finished reading an article called "what you need to know about curved TV's" and that's one of the first things they mention.

Doubt that's much of an issue for me, I HATE reflections on TV's so I either turn off lights or close blinds.

My concern is the viewing "sweet spot". Typically it's just the two of us but at times, we may sit or lie down on different couches, wondered what kind of impact that would have on viewing. Or additional people during a game or something.

Sounds like a neat idea but better applied to a much larger screen.
It really depends on your layout.

I have a right-handed sectional, and my TV sits in the corner of the room. My living room is basically laid out like this:
Spoiler!

Essentially, 'Netflix corner' gets the very best, direct-on view. But even from the viewing position of the "O" in COUCH doesn't cause picture degradation that is bad enough to have made me choose a flat panel over a curved over.

The model you looked at is detailed here: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/mu6500

One thing that is also worth mentioning is that going from a 55" flat panel to a 55" curved screen is that the curved TV felt... smaller. That's because it kind of is, actually. Frankly, I were to do it again, I'd pony up the cash for a 65" curved over a 55" curved. My living room setup would probably not accommodate a flat 65" panel very well given that it's in a corner -- I'd likely have to pull the corner unit out from the windows a bit more than I'd want -- but a curved 65" screen would be no problem.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2018, 05:43 PM   #1308
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty impressed with my elderly father. He got a new 4K Smart TV, moved the Roku he had to the basement TV and HT set-up, and got the WiFi all set-up and connected so he can watch Netflix and such. The only thing that flummoxed him was why he couldn't get sound in his wireless headphones via Netflix, which was a simple audio output change from digital to PCM on the new TV. Nicely done, old fella.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2018, 02:07 PM   #1309
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can anyone recommend an IR extender option - preferably wired. My Shaw PVR will be on the opposite side of the room as the TV and connected via a 25' HDMI cable through conduit.

Thanks

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:39 PM   #1310
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

https://www.amazon.ca/Neoteck-Extend...extender&psc=1

These generally work well, you will have to fish and splice cat 5/6 to extend the ir sensor to your viewing location.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cupofjoe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2018, 10:16 AM   #1311
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey guys. My sub crapped out on my home theatre system. I am sort of stuck in a pickle here. I have a pioneer elite receiver but I lost the remote during a move and can't really adjust much on it these days. I have a set of Canton speakers (5.1) that are in good condition still so I am sort of trying to figure out if I should just replace the sub or maybe replace more.

Anyone have any suggestions on a sub? Not really looking to break the bank but would like good quality. Thanks.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:45 AM   #1312
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Replace the remote with a Logitech Harmony universal remote off of eBay. The Harmony 650 is a bargain on there, and I swear by my Harmony 720 (which has been with me since 2011). Easy as hell to set up, too.

Recommending a sub replacement requires more information. How big is the room? Don't shy away from higher powered subwoofers; power does not automatically equal volume, since you can control that.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:29 PM   #1313
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have a 650 I have never used I would part with. I thought my fireplace was Ir turns out it is RF and my amazon tv is Bluetooth so it's useless for me
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:29 AM   #1314
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone have experience with mounting a TV above a mantel? I bought a pull down mount from monoprice but the geeksquad installer doesn't recommend it.

So frustrating.

One of the issues is the studs are off centred.

He also mentioned something about the hydrologic not being insured.

Gah

Please help!!
Old 06-13-2018, 12:12 PM   #1315
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

And I assume he had a suggestion for a mount sold by BB?

How much off center? Most mounts are made to have a bit of give either way as far as I know.

If it was me, I'd open the wall up and add some 2x4's. If you're handy, its not a difficult fix. TV is likely going to cover it anyways.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2018, 01:58 PM   #1316
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Suggested wall mounts sold by BB? Oh hell ya.

The mount has to be attached to the studs that are off centre - only a little, but visible.

I'm not that handy which is why I was happy to pay someone to do this, so opening up the wall and adding some 2x4 sounds..... scary.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:19 PM   #1317
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

That should still be doable. Studs are usually 16" apart (middle to middle) where as mounts I think are up to 24"ish wide.

Ahhhh, hold on....is this the mount you bought perchance?
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15618

If so, not much wiggle room there. The wall bracket is fairly narrow.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:22 PM   #1318
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yup that's the one. Am I screwed?

Better to get this one instead?
https://www.mantelmount.com/products...enhanced-mount
Old 06-13-2018, 02:35 PM   #1319
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think so......
I don't want to come across as knowing all about wall mounts and giving bad advice but I'm not sure your current one will get the job done. The 2nd one you listed I will stop just short of guaranteeing will do the trick, look like it has better options too. Pretty sure monoprice has an easy return policy so there shouldn't be any issue there and you have a lot more wiggle room with the 2nd one, especially if the studs aren't way off center.

Hopefully others with a bit more experience can chime in but I am confident your second choice of wall mounts is they way to go.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2018, 08:30 AM   #1320
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

You don't have to take your wall apart to add a 2x4 - you can simply add a brace on the surface of the wall that is tied to your studs and then mount the tv mount to that.

Sure, it's further away from the wall, but if you really want to use that mount and not tear anything apart you can always do that.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote